Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2023, 01:08 PM   #1

Space Invaders, BLM Edition

I've been going out to Arizona since I was a baby. I've always loved this state and have rarely had any issues with Arizonians. I plan on being one in the near future. I was camping on the BLM land off Plumosa Rd. near Quartzsite Arizona. I had been there for a week, and it was wonderful. Everyone was nicely spaced at least 100 yards apart. It wasn't crowded, there was plenty of space so I didn't go out as far as I usually do when camping in BLM areas. When I go camping with just me and the dog, I like quiet, so I stay away from other people's campsites. Besides, it's just good camp etiquette.

Two toy haulers pulled right next to me, less than 50' away. Entire desert to park. They are talking about if the rest of the group can fit here. That's when I asked them if they were really planning on camping 50' from someone they don't know with all this open desert. Dude responded with "yes". I said that was very inconsiderate. They started in that I was the problem because I'm from California, because Arizona people get along. I said it's because they have the room, and why on earth would you chose to park right next to someone when you can just go 200' in either direction and not bother anyone. The way one guy was parking, we would be looking at each other through the RV windows.

One of the things the guy said was very telling about his personality. He said it right away when I asked him if they could move a little further away than 50'. He said "That's what happens here", like it was their common practice to force their will upon others. I replied at the time that I've been camping around here for 20 years and this is the first issue of this kind. I think they are also the type of people who when called out on something they know is wrong, double down instead of admitting any wrongdoing. We have those in California, but mostly in politics and colleges. I had actually started trying to deescalate the situation. I took a few steps closer to them so I could speak normally and said I may have overreacted a little, and I was sorry, but they had to see I was right. The guy kept saying "Don't, we're leaving" like he was getting scared or worried. I quickly gave up since they were leaving.

They moved several hundred yards away to a wide-open area with no one around, and soon after I saw them placing traffic cones in a 200' circle to claim their piece of the desert. I guess they want their space, but don't care about other people. I try to be aware of others pretty much all the time. I know there a lot of people who go out to the desert to camp by themselves and not be bothered by humanity for a few days. I guess there are entire groups that just don't care about others at all. Never seen anything like it out there.

It doesn't look so close in the picture, but it's about 25' to the last Bush in the picture, so they were less than 50' away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230315_150405 (Medium).jpg
Views:	25
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	388364  
bkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2023, 02:06 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Good for you sticking up for what is right.

It's not only when you are camping.

We have a neighbor who has had run in with almost every house on our road and has physically threatened me. I would not back down and had the sheriff come out 3 times. He ended up getting a citation and court date, found guilty with a fine.

But I didn't back down and smile every time I drive past him as he is giving me the finger.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 02:23 PM   #3

Walk into a mens restroom ...nobody around
Go to the Far end urinal.
Next guy in will come and use the urinal right next to you

It's called 'Herd Mentality'

Right or wrong?
It's open land for all to use......even the jerks

You stated:
I had actually started trying to deescalate the situation. I took a few steps closer to them so I could speak normally and said I may have overreacted a little, and I was sorry, but they had to see I was right.
That doesn't sound like a deescalating gesture.....but they did move.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 02:54 PM   #4

Happens sometimes - once at Denali after Labor Day, cg virtually empty, a truck and fifth wheel pull in and set up right next to my tent (motorcycle trip that time) and proceed to fire up a construction type generator, naturally with the exhaust pointed right at my tent. Similar thing happened a few years ago in Death Valley, RV set up at Stovepipe Wells, Sunday so a lot people leaving, plenty of empty spots. I went for a Jeep ride and upon my return find a MH parked right next to me with his generator running and the exhaust pointed right at my RVs door. I don't think these people are intentionally being obnoxious, it just doesn't occur to them that there are other people in the world. I moved both times to get away from them, just don't care to waste time conversing with idiots.
johninsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 05:59 PM   #5

A couple of time we had people pull in fairly close, not that close, but closer than I expect in a large open area. At first it bothered me, but I wondered if some of it wasn't because they felt more comfortable being "near" another camper. I know when we first started boondocking it felt weird being alone, but we quickly discovered we loved the solitude. Maybe some people feel better with someone nearby. Dunno.

Clearly the OP's situation was different, and it sounds like he ran into a jerk. I've been expecting it more with the huge explosion in RVing, but so far, nothing like the story above has happened to us - thankfully.

While I might be stubborn and stand my ground in a similar situation, it's just as likely, I'd pull in my slide, and go find a different spot. I try to take the viewpoint that I don't want to waste any of my time on a jerk that I'll never see again. Even a few moments dealing with someone like that is time wasted. The tendency is to engage, and all that does is get me wound up, and I find turning around, walking off, leaves me feeling much better. The sooner I can disengage, the sooner I get back to enjoying my life. It doesn't matter how they react or what they say, I'm done with the engagement. Jerks are a waste of my breath and time. This is just my style. Nothing wrong with other people wanting to handle it differently.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 11:29 PM   #6

I've experienced "herd mentality" before, but this wasn't that. I've actually met a few nice people who were new to the outdoors and close campers. Ended up sharing campfires with them.

I've also experienced jerks while camping. It used to be they were mostly kids who didn't know any better riding close to RV's and other camps, but I think some of those kids grew up to be jerk grown-ups. He already had another rig with him, and more showed up later in the day and the next day. They had a group of 8-10 rigs. They were just a couple of Jerks. I saw them the next day ripping through the camping area in side by sides, an area where most people drive slowly so not to kick up dust.
bkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 01:15 AM   #7

Happens when camping on the beach fairly often. Pretty much everyone parks the same distance from the water so no one’s view is disrupted, then here comes a truck pulls closer than everyone else and sometimes will even angle in right between where we have our canopy set up and the water. They are sometimes bullies plain and simple, other times just completely oblivious.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 09:26 AM   #8

In sociology they teach that people aren’t born knowing the norms & mores of society … how to act … but that people learn acceptable ways to act through being embarrassed or called out … through this they learn

The proper etiquette for the BLM land in question could be different from that in say florida

It’s easy to assume they have poor values but hopefully this specific area was new to them and henceforth they will respect the accepted practices

…. Common sense isn’t always so common …
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 10:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by swduns View Post
In sociology they teach that people aren’t born knowing the norms & mores of society … how to act … but that people learn acceptable ways to act through being embarrassed or called out … through this they learn

The proper etiquette for the BLM land in question could be different from that in say florida

It’s easy to assume they have poor values but hopefully this specific area was new to them and henceforth they will respect the accepted practices

…. Common sense isn’t always so common …
Interesting opinion. We watch a fair amount of home building HGTV stuff. I always find it odd that in some places people have wide open backyards with no fences. Zero privacy. Here where I live everyone has fences.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 12:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Interesting opinion. We watch a fair amount of home building HGTV stuff. I always find it odd that in some places people have wide open backyards with no fences. Zero privacy. Here where I live everyone has fences.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Good fences make good neighbors. Back when people in town had a front porch neighbors were more friendly/neighborly.

as to bkennedy's situation, that scenario sounds like the me generation moving in hard at work.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 02:05 PM   #11

No no just no.....your supposed to follow the the urinal training test cartoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Walk into a mens restroom ...nobody around
Go to the Far end urinal.
Next guy in will come and use the urinal right next to you

It's called 'Herd Mentality'

Right or wrong?
It's open land for all to use......even the jerks

You stated:
I had actually started trying to deescalate the situation. I took a few steps closer to them so I could speak normally and said I may have overreacted a little, and I was sorry, but they had to see I was right.
That doesn't sound like a deescalating gesture.....but they did move.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 02:38 PM   #12

It's the same sort of person who sets up the bright lights or loud music outside and then says that he doesn't need to follow "your rules".

No, son, you should be following society's rules. And this is one of them.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 03:28 PM   #13

Record a barking dog/s people looking to squeeze in play on stereo might think na.... Or duelling banjos lol Come out in robe all cousin Eddie ,using a 2 stroke leaf blower mix oil 16 to 1.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 03:35 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Conchasjim Send a message via Yahoo to Conchasjim
Or the people with dogs that say, Oh they don't bite or bark..... Much!
Conchasjim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace