RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2020, 04:41 PM   #1

Spare tire close call

Drove home to Indiana today after 5 wonderful nights in Pigeon Forge. Stopped at the halfway point to stretch, refuel, and use the facilities.

Although not something I do at every stop, I did a full walk-around of the truck and trailer. VERY glad I did. The factory spare tire mount was tilted down about 10-15 degrees - to be honest just enough to catch my eye as I walked around the trailer.

Upon inspection, I saw evidence of some long term (rusty) damage and even more fresh, shiny metal. I'd say 75% of the broken welds were shiny, so it was definitely getting weaker with each passing mile. Not sure how many more bridge transitions, potholes, etc left in those welds.

After saying a prayer of thanks that I found it before it let go at interstate speeds, I quickly removed the cover and tire and put them in the bed of the truck.

Lesson learned - I need to do a walk around at every stop!

PeteClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201023_165713507~2.jpeg
Views:	5
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	305659
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2020, 05:33 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Good thing you checked. A similar thing happened to us with our previously owned Silverado. Except, we didn't catch it in time & when tooling about (luckily without the 5-r attached) & going only about 35mph, the spare tire fell off the bottom of the truck landing in the road behind us. Also, luckily, no one was behind us.

Always good to keep tabs on these things.

Lori-
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:40 AM   #3

That was a good catch!
Obviously if that fell off it could have caused a lot of damage and possible death.

I would make a better bracket or keep the spare in your truck.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:49 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Checking things every stop is a great idea for sure. Once while we were fulltiming I crawled under and looked at our hitch. Glad I did as it was pulling loose as some welds had broken. To their credit even though the unit was out of warranty, Newmar helped out on the repair. Thanks Newmar!
Old 10-24-2020, 09:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Good thing you checked. A similar thing happened to us with our previously owned Silverado. Except, we didn't catch it in time & when tooling about (luckily without the 5-r attached) & going only about 35mph, the spare tire fell off the bottom of the truck landing in the road behind us. Also, luckily, no one was behind us.

Always good to keep tabs on these things.

Lori-
I had the same thing happen on a Silverado I owned a few years ago. I was driving into work one morning and when I made a left hand turn onto a city street I saw a tire on a white wheel leaned up against the side of a used car lot building. I never gave it a thought other than someone had lost a tire and the car lot's owner had leaned it up there for anyone to see.
A couple weeks or so later I had my truck up on a lift doing an oil change and when I walked around under the truck I noticed my spare tire was gone. I thought back and it dawned on me my spare was on a white wheel. I stopped by the used car lot and asked the owner who I knew well about the tire which was leaned against the building. He said he found the tire next to the curb two weeks ago when he came into work. It was a Chevy truck wheel with a Goodyear tire on it. Someone had stopped and picked it up but he had no idea of who. Sounded like mine.
I had to buy a new hoist for the spare and a used tire and wheel. The cable had broken on the original hoist.
Lynn
Old 10-24-2020, 09:21 AM   #6

Most trucking companies require a full inspection of their truck at the beginning of the shift and every stop requires a walk around inspection. I catch most of my tire and loose strap issues at these stop inspections, which is better than alongside a road shoulder any day!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:46 PM   #7

having experienced excitement that I hadn't expected,
every fuel or pee stop, I do a walk around and carry my lazer temp gun,
I check tire temps, and when I'm towing car trailer , I check bearing hub temps, also,
just for that very reason, "the unexpected surprise"
besides ,I'm usually stiff, and the walk helps me stretch.
Old 10-24-2020, 05:26 PM   #8

I do a walk around every stop. Feel the wheel bearings and tires for excessive heat. At night a light check also. I look at the truck too. You never know.
Bowtie Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:27 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
WOW! Your sure dodged a bullet on that one! Don't forget to buy the lottery ticket (you only need one)!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:35 PM   #10

had a similar thing happen recently - started to leave after a brief pit stop and the wife radio'd me to stop! Tire holder had broken at the one bolt holding it on. Turns out the previous owner had put the full-sized Class C dually spare wheel/tire on a basic cheap holder designed for trailer spares. Way too heavy. Spare and wheel are still in the back of the CR-V :/
Old 10-24-2020, 07:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley View Post
Checking things every stop is a great idea for sure. Once while we were fulltiming I crawled under and looked at our hitch. Glad I did as it was pulling loose as some welds had broken. To their credit even though the unit was out of warranty, Newmar helped out on the repair. Thanks Newmar!
That is something required in an annual inspection by the owner of a MH, inspecting the hitch.
BTW, thanks for the reminder.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:59 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
"Required" only applies if you reside in a state that mandates annual vehicle inspections. I don't.

But we've always scooted under all our RV's once a year to just take a look-see of what's under there. One year, I found one of those plastic grocery shopping bags wrapped around the axle of our TT. Didn't know when in the prior year we picked it up but it was securely attached.

Lori-
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:41 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The 4" square tube sewer hose storage bumper is a joke for ANYTHING to be hung on it. I have seen way too many with torn welds. Best to not clamp anything on the sewer hose bumpers.

Kem
Old 10-25-2020, 06:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
The 4" square tube sewer hose storage bumper is a joke for ANYTHING to be hung on it. I have seen way too many with torn welds. Best to not clamp anything on the sewer hose bumpers.

Kem
TXiceman,
I agree it is a bad idea to add items to the bumper, but a couple of points of clarification:
1. The spare tire was mounted there by the mfg, and
2. It was the tire bracket that broke, not the bumper.

Pete
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote