RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2020, 03:07 AM   #1

Squirrel in A/C Ducts

Was putting on the winter cover and heard a squirrel running in our ac ducts. Looked all around the RV for a sign of where its entry point was but could not find one. Took off the ac cover and all looks normal. It is a 2015 Salem Hemisphere Lite 5th wheel. Anyone have any ideas of where to look? Cheers all.
Dee004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2020, 05:13 AM   #2

Is the AC duct system just accessible from inside the AC unit on the roof or are there other access points for these unwanted pests?
Old 10-18-2020, 06:47 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You will have to crawl over and under you rig and check every possible access point. Move wiring looms and look in every basement compartment.

I was doing a service on my DP and I noticed some pieces of the foam spray laying in the back engine compartment. Up in the corner above the air intake box I saw where they had clawed the foam out creating a fairly large opening. I had been cleaning out the rig and found acorns in a couple places, the hole explains how they got in. I refoamed the hole plugging it up but who knows how long this will last.

This hole allowed accessed into the ceiling of the rig, not doubt they were up in my duct as when I turned on the AC to test it "stuff" blew out of the front register in the ceiling.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
You will have to crawl over and under you rig and check every possible access point. Move wiring looms and look in every basement compartment.

I was doing a service on my DP and I noticed some pieces of the foam spray laying in the back engine compartment. Up in the corner above the air intake box I saw where they had clawed the foam out creating a fairly large opening. I had been cleaning out the rig and found acorns in a couple places, the hole explains how they got in. I refoamed the hole plugging it up but who knows how long this will last.

This hole allowed accessed into the ceiling of the rig, not doubt they were up in my duct as when I turned on the AC to test it "stuff" blew out of the front register in the ceiling.
Stainless steel scrub buds mixed with the foam tends to discourage them.
Not easy to do but it does help.
Xmcdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:11 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It's possible the squirrel gained entry from the ac rooftop. Somehow got around the blower wheel (squirrel cage). LOL

I don't see how it would have gotten inside somewhere, unless it chewed it's way in somewhere in the ducting from inside the walls. This requires that someone has to go completely thru thru the rv for any openings.

You'll have to open it up for a while and let it escape, or turn on the ac and scare them away. Hopefully its not rats or other rodents.

Hopefully it's nest isn't built yet inside.

Good luck
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:25 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies. I will once again take off the ac cover and look to see if i missed something and will turn it on to see if it or they come running out. Will also do another thorough look at the underside.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:01 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

If its roof a/c, they probably entered via the rear cap, climbing up between cap and rear wall and into the ceiling space. Odds are they are running on top of the ducts rather than inside them, but it sounds the same. If basement air, look for an opening around the basement unit where they can enter the ducts, but it's still more likely they went up the back alongside the ducts and into the ceiling area.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 03:50 PM   #8

If you haven't seen or heard of anti pest Instafoam . In big holes might be best to use the stainless scrubber as well. Hope you get what ever out squirrels forage daily so try to let it an easy way out.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 10:48 PM   #9

It could also be a mouse or rat which could slip in a smaller opening.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 11:54 AM   #10

Remove the covers off your ceiling ducts at each end of the coach, and using a bright flashlight and a mirror, look towards the ends of the ducting. I agree with Gary and suspect the rear cap area. Rodents can make runs in fiberglass insulation. Sealing the area can be a bear. If you find an entry point, I suggest trapping the little guy before sealing it up. You could try one of these: https://www.amazon.com/PestZilla-Ele.../dp/B01MCT7FMC

I used the mouse and rat versions with good results at work.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 03:59 AM   #11

Hi guy's. I went up earlier in the week and apened all the ceiling AC vents and put some warfarin up inside and replaced them. Also the inside cover of the AC and did the same thing. Also went up on the roof and did the same at the rooftop AC (only one on our unit). Went back up to the trailer yesterday and no sign of it or them after going through the whole process again. Also put some fine mesh around the rooftop AC. Searched underneath for any openings I could find and stuffed in stainless steel wool and pest block foam. Hopefully they're gone. Keeping my fingers crossed. Will be going up again through the week to check again before they close the gates for the winter November first. Thanks everyone for your help. Cheers