Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2011, 01:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
....I spread it around the area that I had a rat problem...
We call them "tree rats".

Menu
Fried Squirrel with milk gravy
Collard greens
Heaping bowl of rice (I love wild and brown rice... goes well with wild squirrel... and rabbit)
Big platter of baking powder biscuits
Cold iced tea

Fudge Brownies or Hot Chocolate Pudding Cake for dessert

YUM YUM!
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2011, 02:45 PM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to W9WLS
This may or may not work with the little fury critters BUT, gather up the DW's old panty hose and a bag of human hair from the barber shop / beauty shop, make little baggies of the panty hose stuffed with the hair and put where the most traffic seems to be.
Don't know if it will work for squirrels , but it keeps deer out of the garden.
W9WLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:39 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
We call them "tree rats".

Menu
Fried Squirrel with milk gravy
Collard greens
Heaping bowl of rice (I love wild and brown rice... goes well with wild squirrel... and rabbit)
Big platter of baking powder biscuits
Cold iced tea

Fudge Brownies or Hot Chocolate Pudding Cake for dessert

YUM YUM!
Now that right there is some good eat'n and brings back some fond childhood memories. My Aunt Estel would boil 4 or 5 fat Webster County, WV. squirrels until the meat would fall off their little bones and then simmer the meat in some white country gravy. At the time, her buttermilk biscuits were as big as my head and she'd ladle a heap of that creamy goodness on until it touched the edge of my plate. Also there would be a generous portion of fresh ramps(or canned) as a side. I didn't much care for the ramps but HAD to eat some...otherwise couldn't stand to be around anyone that had.

Afterwards, I loved to follow the men out to the front porch and listen to the hunting stories while they smoked their rolled cigarettes and picked the squirrel meat from their teeth with their 'coon' bone toothpicks. Can ya hear the theme from 'Deliverance' softly playing in the back round?

BTW, we never had any squirrel meat with shot in it. My Grandpa and his brother made a game of shooting squirrels by 'barking' them since they were kids. They hunted with an old 25-20 and an octagon barreled 22. They wouldn't allow themselves to shoot the squirrel with the bullet, they had to hit the tree right next to the squirrel to 'bark' it or it didn't count as a kill. They were known all over the county for doing this and they continued the tradition well into their 60's. I never could hit one with a shotgun...when again, I was only a kid. I think they just used to let me shoot it for the entertainment value, I usually went flying after the trigger was pulled. Never did like hunting!! I still have the guns they used. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
... Also there would be a generous portion of fresh ramps(or canned) as a side. I didn't much care for the ramps but HAD to eat some...otherwise couldn't stand to be around anyone that had.
I never had the "intestinal fortication" to try ramps. My brother-in-law grew up eating them. He said they were best with beer and lots of it.

Quote:
... Can ya hear the theme from 'Deliverance' softly playing in the back round?
How about ?

Speaking of "Deliverance". I used to live near a town that was used for part of the scenes (Clayton GA). The kid in the movie that was picking the banjo.... When it was filmed, he did not know how to play... it was all dubbed in. Years after the movie was filmed, he finally took lessons.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:29 PM   #19

Squirrel = Chicken of the Trees
I still love squirrel and dumplings
ischua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:32 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineOH View Post
Help! Currently in FL campground and we are loaded with squirrels. So far, three RVers have had squirrels gain access to the back of the refrigerators by chewing thru the vents on two of the units and one gaining access thru the roof vent. All the wires were chewed.

We've also had one truck and one motorhome that have had to have new wiring harnesses. Squirrels chewed thru every wire.

So we're begging for ideas. So far, we've put mothballs in mesh bags under the hoods of trucks. Are there any other workable ideas.
Go to a Walmart, no squirrels. They have your # at the campground, you are a cookout to them. In Florida you can kill them if they are a threat to you or your property.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:32 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Critters

Two years ago, I had some uninvited mice completely ruin my carpet. I had the usual preventative methods: dryer sheets,plug all the holes,hi frequency outlet plugs, inside outside spray. I still use all of the above, but last year I tried a new product. It is called Critter-Repellent.com. Look it up on the net. It specifically mentions squirrels. The product is granular with no odor. It mimics to critters the urine of a fox&bobcat. I have had no problems this year. I don't know if it is the Critter-repellent or all of the above but, I am going to continue to use it.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:40 PM   #22

I've never had a problem with squirrels. I keep cake-style rat N mouse bait behind the frig, and other places rats N mice like to live. It's not my fault squirrels eat the same things as rats N mice. In many cities squirrels are considered a nuisance-except Oblong, IL 's white(albino) squirrels..
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #23

squirrels

Thanks for all of the ideas. Esp. liked the song portion on UTube.

To answer one question - we're in Lake Placid, FL.

As of today, the park office has called in a pest control company who will be here on Monday. Hopefully they can fix the problem.

In the meantime, we have a resident bobcat and one golden panther. They must be full though or maybe too many squirrels. Right now we have all put mothballs in our engines to deter them and one site looks like it hailed. Mothballs all over the driveway and grass.

Have to share this one though. The one guy who had the vermit chew thru his roof vent to the refrig and chew all of the wires bought hardware screening to repair the hole the squirrel had made. Little did he know the squirrel was back in there and as he covered the hole the squirrel chewed thru the bottom vent of his refrig to get out. He is also the site with mothballs are over and a live trap on his roof!!!!

If we get any good ideas from the pest control, I will pass along.
sunshineOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:45 PM   #24

Not sure if this will guaranteed work but how about a couple of Electronic Guard Dogs in strategic locations? Squirrels are pretty smart so not sure if this will work.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:29 PM   #25

Well the Pest Control guy was here which turned out to be useless. He came with one live trap. The trap has to be returned on Friday (this is Monday) so I guess they are charging the RV park rent on this live trap. Then, of course, when asked about other poisons or whatever to use we had to have one guy here in the park have a fit about killing a squirrel. He's a beekeeper. I bet if the squirrels destroyed his hives he might change his mind. I haven't seen it yet but the park office has posted some suggestions on products to use both in the engines and in the RVs. If it works, I'll let you all know.
sunshineOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:13 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
A .22 Rim Fire loaded with rat shot will do wonders if you can get close enough, other wise switch up to a 20ga. and have a stew for the camp ground picnic...
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:01 AM   #27

I forgot something that works with other animals. My garden would be attacked at night by all sorts of animals. I had a couple of old radios laying around. I spaced them out and tuned local talk show stations. The constant and varied human voices kept them away.

Just an idea. You can figure out where to place them.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:23 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tell me where you are, I'll sent two cajuns with their cooking equipment and some ammunition and I promise they will feed the whole camp ground and solve your squirrel problem all at the same time!!!!!!!