Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2009, 07:25 AM   #29

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
wthomas1 ...
woops, you're right, i interpreted the "increase by 12%" as "an increase of 12%",
there is a bit of a diff ! thank-you

and I don't mind some complaining, but too often I see un-weighted complaining,
when I looked a handful of years ago CA did not have the highest sales tax, in fact I thought we were about 7 or 8 or 9 down the list of the 50 States.
And weight that figure even more by adding in property taxes and other taxes that other States have high rates of.

And with all that we still have a legitimate right to complain, sure.
But too often I see we or members of other States complaining about CA, when people from all other States are moving here for the opportunities.

So the DMV fees are projected to rise for 2 years, maybe 5, I am so far not convinced that this ranks CA as a legitimate object of our (and other State's residents) anger.
I am curious as to will more people move here for opportunities in the next 2 years or will there be a larger exodus of native CA.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2009, 07:35 AM   #30

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OK just so you all know, I am Leslie, Stephen's other half, responding. I am with FatDog on this one. I once lived in another state (17 years in OKLA) it seems like ages ago, and I could not wait to get back home to SOCAL because I am a Californian thru and thru. I love this state and I have no intentions of moving. Earthquakes, fires, and all. Oh and btw, I do not miss the horrible storms Ok had to offer every spring, summer, and fall! Scary.

You all can't tell me your states/countries aren't having the same problems. I have 2 sisters living in MI, and when we visit there, the great state of MI is in dire straights financially. All you have to do is read the papers and watch the news.

I would leave CA kicking and screaming, over my dead body, but thanks for the offer guys!

Leslie the wife...............
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:47 AM   #31
LD

Quote:
I've lived in CA my entire life and I certainly don't recall great swings in vehicle fees.
http://www.ci.glendale.ca.us/a...2005/Attachment3.pdf

(Read the "historical information" below the chart.)

http://www.californiacityfinance.com/VLFfacts06.pdf

http://www.californiacityfinan...m/VLFproblem0812.pdf

There are obviously advantages AND disadvantages to living in California, and all are in the eyes of the beholder(s). And, there is plenty of "blame" to be spread around when one talks of the current (and past) "state of the state". But, IMO, one does have a few choices: Work locally to make changes and vote into office as few idiots as possible -- if you can find any. Whine and complain about how miserable, crowded, and expensive life is in California, but stick around because that big bucks job is keeping you here. Don't let the door hit you in the behind on the way out of the state -- on any one of a number of our crappy highways, of course! YMMV.
LD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:40 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am a California native. I have often defended this state on this and other forums. Those discussions commonly involved topics other than taxes. Californians will usually lose those arguments.

I too love this state and feel that despite it’s many drawbacks, it still has much too offer. #1 in my book being the weather. As I get older and closer to retirement however, I find myself looking at what my cost of living will be, post-retirement.

Cost of living here has always been high. Good paying careers for the most part have made up for most that, but retirement is a different animal. I could have moved to Tennessee years ago when the rest of my family migrated there, but I would had to have taken a 2/3 cut in salary. Cost of living there is less, but not low enough to close the gap, at least in my line of work. It is a very beautiful state though.

As I said earlier, when I retire, I will be relocating to another state. The two main reasons; cost of living (i.e. taxes) and the traffic. Right now, Southern Utah is looking like a good spot, but the DW & I haven’t made up our minds. That probably won’t happen until I actually pull the plug. I love the California climate, and Southern Utah is somewhat similar, I’m told.

Wherever we choose to live, you can bet that we’ll still be spending some time back in our home state. Too many friends here.

Just my two cents....

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:52 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by LD:
Whine and complain about how miserable, crowded, and expensive life is in California, but stick around because that big bucks job is keeping you here. Don't let the door hit you in the behind on the way out of the state -- on any one of a number of our crappy highways, of course!
I certainly hope you meant that remark as a joke. If not, it was quite rude and gives the rest of us Californians a black eye.

I am a California native. I have often defended this state on this and other forums. Those discussions commonly involved topics other than taxes. Californians will usually lose those arguments.

I too love this state and feel that despite it’s many drawbacks, it still has much too offer. #1 in my book being the weather. As I get older and closer to retirement however, I find myself looking at what my cost of living will be, post-retirement.

Cost of living here has always been high. Good paying careers for the most part have made up for most that, but retirement is a different animal. I could have moved to Tennessee years ago when the rest of my family migrated there, but I would had to have taken a 2/3 cut in salary. Cost of living there is less, but not low enough to close the gap, at least in my line of work. It is a very beautiful state though.

As I said earlier, when I retire, I will be relocating to another state. The two main reasons; cost of living (i.e. taxes) and the traffic. Right now, Southern Utah is looking like a good spot, but the DW & I haven’t made up our minds. That probably won’t happen until I actually pull the plug. I love the California climate, and Southern Utah is somewhat similar, I’m told.

Wherever we choose to live, you can bet that we’ll still be spending some time back in our home state. Too many friends here.

Just my two cents....

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:49 PM   #34

I retired from CA and moved to VA to care for my elderly MIL. She died right before 9-11 but were were packed and ready to go so said, "What the h---", and moved to VA.

VA has personal property taxes that vary from city to city, county to county, and town to town. My combined taxes in VA are considerably higher than they were in CA, wages are lower, and real estate gets assessed every 3-4 years with the subsequent increases in taxes.

We've all made mistakes in life and I'm no exception. One of my 2 or 3 biggest was moving from CA.

Just do your homework before you move anywhere as the hidden little things like personal property taxes and re-assessments can be nasty, not to mention the unwillingness to allow any type of progress into the area where we live. That stifles growth, and hence tax increases.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:08 PM   #35
LD

Quote:
I certainly hope you meant that remark as a joke. If not, it was quite rude and gives the rest of us Californians a black eye.
I'm not sure just what you thought was "rude" or "black eye giving", but you apparently missed the point(s)-- and the little smiley face. But, that aside, I feel that, as a fourth-generation Californian, I am definitely entitled to "criticize" California, both tongue-in-cheek and in dead seriousness. It's a bit like the old story of "protecting" one's little brother; *you* get to punch him, but nobody else better try it!

Face it; California does have a *lot* of warts: our budgetary procedures are a mess, our infrastructure is falling apart, our electorate continues to vote for "feel good" bond issues which we will *never* pay off, there are way too many people, too much traffic, many of our taxes are punitive.....yada yada. Oh, yeah, we have earthquakes, too! And, yes, we really do some of the worst roads in the nation!

But, for all its troubles and problems and frustrations, California is home, and I have no plans to live anywhere else. One can "get real" and recognize all the downsides but still see all of the perks and the advantages of living here; if that's "rude" in your eyes, so be it.
LD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:44 AM   #36

I have know idea why I feel compelled to post here. I am now disabled and am living off of savings until something gets figured out with long term disability and Social Security. Even then, the same problem persists. That is ‘fixed income’. I’m not sure what I’d do if our taxes suddenly went up to CA’s extent.

Might there be a possibility for a campaign focused on the Lawmakers to exempt those on fixed income from at least some of the increases? If your coach is your permanent residence it would be like doubling the property tax, right. Do I recall one of CA’s propositions that fixed property values at the price originally paid instead of revaluing every year at the current estimated price? This relieved the fixed income homeowner from perpetual property tax increases.

We will be moving away from N.M. but not for tax issues. My 60 year old bones just can’t tolerate the cold. And it ‘does’ seem colder this year than any of the past 30. Am I right?
Old 02-15-2009, 01:41 PM   #37

Freightliner Owners Club
That would be Prop 13 in CA. Made it possible to put some restraint on govt spending. Obviously the pols are finding other sources to support their spending.

I agree, it is colder here in Central Coast CA than I can recall in the past. Today is horrible.

Nick
BTW, Parked next to you a couple of times in our travels to NM.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:41 PM   #38

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
One though. If the California is so bad, why do so many RVers spend the winter here and why do I see so many out of state plates on the highways?????

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:05 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Hi fred,
One sees the same thing in Florida. The weather drives these snow birds. Over 11 million come to Florida every year. It may be the same in California.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:32 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Visitors don't have to pay all of the taxes that residents do? A lot of the RV's and cars with out of state plates are actually California residents. They register their vehicles out of state to avoid the high vehicle fees. California is a great place to live except for the tax issues.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 03:11 PM   #41

Freightliner Owners Club
Primarily because good weather is out of the control of the state's politicians as is its varied geography.

Nick
Old 02-15-2009, 05:12 PM   #42

Country Coach Owners Club
Earlier this week Rick and Hope made the suggestion that those worried about California raising the vehicle registration fees "move to Nevada". Because I am from Nevada, I don't think that would be a good idea. Vehicle registration in Nevada is significantly higher than California. About the only break from taxes you will get by moving is no state income tax.
sharbra is offline   Reply With Quote