Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2020, 08:13 AM   #1

State of Residence

Fellow RV'rs;

We are planning on full timing within the next 8 months. House is for sale and all belongings are going to the kids. My question is state of residence. How do you get mail, which state do you register your vehicles. Which state do you get your driver licenses from. Some states are cheaper to register then others. Can I choose where to register? Thank you in advance.
ashennar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2020, 08:27 AM   #2

There are many threads on this subject, search for domacile. Here is one:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f92/why-...te-477341.html

But you can use the search box above to look for others.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:29 AM   #3

I chose SD, as no vehicle inspections and in the middle. I have had good luck with dokota post. One can have them do everything but transfer your divers license, and after you do it in person can be done by mail every other renew. I think I pay $250 a year. When I get mail, I get an email and a $1 fee to open and scan it if I want, then if needed you have them forward it to where you want. If not needed just hit shred. Every thing can be done online every year. When I did my drivers license I did my permit to carry at the same time. Redg's can be done 3 months early if wanted. It is great as I can do boat, bike, truck, and camper all online. As other states I lived in boat was done at another place and in person.
Also no state taxes to pay, If one pays taxes.
Florida is another choice and no inspections.
Texas is another choice but need an inspection/s when or if you get to the state.
A point to note, is a lot of states consider one a resident at the 6 month and a day thing.
Best of wishes.
travelorer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:34 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Check the Escapees site. Lots of good info there.
https://www.escapees.com/

They have mail services in SD, TX and FL. If you are not on Medicare, you need to see which is the best for your medical insurance, no state income taxes, drivers license, auto registration and insurance, etc.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashennar View Post
Fellow RV'rs;

We are planning on full timing within the next 8 months. My question is state of residence.
Are you 65 or older? (That is, where are you getting your health insurance from?)
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 05:39 PM   #6

From what I am finding, if you are buying your own health insurance Florida is your state. Price out your premiums for health and vehicle insurance. Recent visit on Florida Blue website shows a $200/month difference between various counties with mail services at Good Sam, Escapees, and St. Brendan's Isle.
Losthikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 05:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashennar View Post
Fellow RV'rs;

We are planning on full timing within the next 8 months. House is for sale and all belongings are going to the kids. My question is state of residence. How do you get mail, which state do you register your vehicles. Which state do you get your driver licenses from. Some states are cheaper to register then others. Can I choose where to register? Thank you in advance.
As others have said, there are a few threads about this, so searching the full timers section might get you tons of info.
That's not going to stop me from giving you my input though. I get mail from a mail forwarding service called Americas Mailbox up in South Dakota. That's also where I domicile (home base), which means my license comes from there as well. My vehicles are all registered there. It's not the cheapest place for registration on RVs, but insurance is dirt cheap there, as is vehicle tax (4%). There's no yearly safety or emissions inspections and license can be renewed online every other renewal. You only have to physically be in the state once every 10 years, and you have a 6 month window to take care of everything. That's pretty easy to work into the schedule IMO. To set up residency, you only have to be in SD for 1 night. Then you can get a SD driver's license the next day. It's insanely easy and the people at the DMV are actually pretty nice.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 05:55 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Itchytoe has nailed it. Registering was so easy and yes, the DMV folks are top notch. Can’t go wrong with SD and America’s Mailbox. The area is also beautiful and a great place to visit.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:15 PM   #9

Which state is best for Medicare?
Camper25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper25 View Post
Which state is best for Medicare?
If you have straight Medicare and a supplement you can travel freely all over the country using any facility that accepts Medicare.

If you get a Medicare Advantage plan, not so much.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:49 PM   #11

I have an advantage plan and may have to change it.
Camper25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:38 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
We have been using St. Brendan's Isle in Florida for everything with out problems for 6+ years now.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 02:12 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe View Post
To set up residency, you only have to be in SD for 1 night.

Itchytoe -is there any requirement to buy property there? We’ll be traveling for 8-9 months per year but we may own an RV lot in Arizona. I don’t plan to die there so I’d rather have our residency in SD or some other place with no income tax.
cyclist922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 02:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclist922 View Post
Itchytoe -is there any requirement to buy property there? We’ll be traveling for 8-9 months per year but we may own an RV lot in Arizona. I don’t plan to die there so I’d rather have our residency in SD or some other place with no income tax.
Nope, you don't need to own land. You'll need an address of some sort though. Mail forwarding services work for that. I took my receipt from Americas Mailbox and the RV park I stayed in with me, and walked out with a new SD license. Then I used that license to transfer my vehicles registration to SD and got plates, then I transferred my insurance over to a SD agent, etc.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote