Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2011, 07:36 AM   #1

Steer Safe Install

Just finished installing "Steer Safe". From start to finish took just over an hour and everything went very smoothly. A little heads up for anyone that is going to do this. A set of deep well sockets either 3/8 or 1/2 inch drive will make the job a lot easier. An extra set of hands would have been nice, but not really needed. Now I just have to get it out for a test drive.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2011, 08:18 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I just completed this same install on Tuesday. I then drove approximately 100 miles to a CG basicly just to give it a test run. About half of these miles were on the Interstate and the rest on secondary roads. I was very well pleased with the results of the Steer Safe. Large trucks and other large vehicles did not blow me around as they did before. Also less problem with winds and ruts in the roads. Much less having to adjust steering as before. Overall I am happy with this install. Another thing, it gives a little more piece of mind in case of front tire blow out. It was a pretty easy install, very straight forward. If it continues to perform as it did on this trip I will be a happy camper. John 2006 Monaco Monarch V10
catonine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:20 AM   #3

Just make sure you have everything real tight and re-check at 1000 mile intervals. Mine exploded on both sides and it wasn't pretty. I liked the feel of the SS and it did help handling but when it exploded and put the bracket into my brake plate that was it.

So again, check it every now and then to make sure your steer safe is safe.
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks Billieg for the heads up, I will do just what you said. Better safe than sorry. John 2006 Monaco Monarch SE
catonine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
Just make sure you have everything real tight and re-check at 1000 mile intervals. Mine exploded on both sides and it wasn't pretty. I liked the feel of the SS and it did help handling but when it exploded and put the bracket into my brake plate that was it.

So again, check it every now and then to make sure your steer safe is safe.
The people that have their motor home stored next to ours have had Steer Safe for over 5 years and have never checked it. I told him about the problem you had and we checked his. Everything was still tight. I wonder if yours was defective from the start or not installed correctly. Just a thought!
Old 11-20-2011, 09:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSP1268 View Post
The people that have their motor home stored next to ours have had Steer Safe for over 5 years and have never checked it. I told him about the problem you had and we checked his. Everything was still tight. I wonder if yours was defective from the start or not installed correctly. Just a thought!
I had the local truck center put the SS unit on. They put on a lot of them and know what they are doing. They are a front end shop. Still, they could have messed up. I was on I-81 in PA and went through construction where they had a big drop off doing around 45 mph. I heard something hit the bottom of the coach and then found I couldn't turn the coach to the left and all the springs were gone and the bracket was stuck into the brake back plate.

I just wanted to inform others that this can happen so be sure to check the SS units out once in awhile. I don't mean to scare anyone or stop them from installing it but just wanted to let them know to be safe. Isn't that the whole reason you put one on to start with?
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:07 AM   #7

Steer Safe

The design of the top mounting U-bolt is (was on mine) a major design problem "in my opinion". That U-bolt mounts over a large nut that holds the axle A-frame to the rest of the suspension.

On my unit, a P-30, the nut only only was about 3/4" high. A round U-bolt being mounted to a flange on that short of a nut, seamed an invite to disaster. Where the U-bolt was meant to grip a nut, it should have least been flat or the kit should have included a bracket that went under the nut to prevent it from pulling off.

Any road vibration or large pothole could cause the unit to shift and come loose. I agree with others above. Check the mounting often, and for sure check the top mounting U-bolts! Even a slight misalignment of the cast frame could cause the U-bolt to be torqued enough to pull up and over the bolt.

Tags
install