Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2020, 06:47 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Steps won't extend Newmar Ventana 2019

Hello, Drove from Nashville TN to Florida. Went to get out of the coach, and the steps will not go out. They worked fine when stopped for gas 300 miles ago. Checked fuses they are fine. unplugged the wiring harness and back in. Made sure switch is up. Any thoughts on how to repair? This is only our 3rd trip with this coach.
Thank you in advance for any assistance.
Alan and Jeanette
AR18J is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2020, 06:38 AM   #2

Lilely the magnetic reed switch in the door frame. Sometimes a light tap will make them work for while.

The reed switch lets the controller know when the door is opened.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:10 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thank you. Trying to locate the reed switch. Not seeing one.. strange.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:18 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I have the same issue with a ‘20 Bay Star, Tapping the switch didn’t work for me. I need to hold a magnet next to the door frame switch to get them to go down. They do come in without issue when the engine starts. This is one of the few issues I have on my punch list for my dealer.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:21 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Found them. Cleaned those magnetic. Still not working but we greatly appreciate your response!
Have a great day!
Old 10-25-2020, 07:35 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks tried holding magnets against door still nothing.
Greatly appreciate the reply. Trying anything we did get a step ladder so that will help some. At least not doing splits when entering.. lol
Old 10-25-2020, 08:20 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Try unplugging the wire connections and plugging back in, just be careful of the steps might move on you.
Old 10-25-2020, 09:06 AM   #8

My Kwikee step stopped working, the MH had been in storage for several months. on a whim I reached under the dash and wiggled the yellow wire from the step controller, viola -the step retracted. It did it again a month later but from the retracted position. My cause was corrosion on wire terminals.

Hopefully the Kwikee service training manual will prove helpful. This Vimeo shows how to test the steps:

https://vimeo.com/45602427
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:40 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Called service person. Lacey's RV service in Destin is great!
Controller bad... had water in it. Should this have happened with only 3000 miles? Anyway... steps are working. God is great!
Thanks everyone for your responses!
Alan and Jeanette
Old 10-25-2020, 10:59 AM   #10

The controller going out after 3000 miles is not normal. Our coach is over 13 years old with nearly 50000 miles and still has the same controller. We did have to replace the step motor last year and the controller may stop any day but all expected in an older coach.
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rffowler55 View Post
The controller going out after 3000 miles is not normal. Our coach is over 13 years old with nearly 50000 miles and still has the same controller. We did have to replace the step motor last year and the controller may stop any day but all expected in an older coach.
I agree, the controller is a potted unit, no way for water intrusion unless it received a blow hard enough to crack the epoxy potting or defective from the factory. Mine is original too. The test video I posted will quickly determine the good/bad result.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:15 PM   #12

I had the same thing. Periodically mine will retract too tight and put the motor in a bind. If it is in a bind it doesn’t work. Tap on it with a hammer while opening and closing the door.
bllrdck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:43 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks everyone! Appreciate the support!

Tags
steps, ventana, vent, newmar