Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2020, 06:22 PM   #1

Stink Bugs

The farmers are starting to harvest their crops. So those darling little sting bugs are making their way in the camper. Anyone come up with a clever way to get rid of them ?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2020, 07:46 PM   #2

Spray around all openings with residual crawling insect killer after you have sealed as many openings as possible.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:07 PM   #3

Take a trip for a couple of weeks? Other than that I've got nuttin. They are pesky little critters.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:26 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
A few years back we went to a CG in West Virginia (or maybe it was Virginia) with plans to say the month of October. The whole countryside was infested with stink bugs! We elected to leave after a couple of days. They were getting in around the slideout seals. The most effective thing we found was to spray around the openings with a Pine Sol mixture. I was continually finding them for weeks after we left there. I would catch them and flush them down the toilet. Even being very careful catching them with a facial tissue and not mashing them, I would still have that awful smell on my hands!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:42 PM   #5

Small shop vac. Outside the best thing I found, and it is jot a deterrant. But a spray bottle with Dawn dish soap and water. Spray all the nasty buggers.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:04 PM   #6

I've tried all the home remedies without success. My solution is to keep a small vacuum (like a Shark) handy and suck them up whenever I see them - which is often.
Old 09-30-2020, 02:02 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
I've tried all the home remedies without success. My solution is to keep a small vacuum (like a Shark) handy and suck them up whenever I see them - which is often.
You better keep it emptied regularly or you'll have to throw it away!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 02:16 PM   #8

DW catches them in an empty water or soda bottle and keeps the lid on. They are easy to catch and sometimes she puts a little alcohol in the bottle to kill them quickly. Throw the bottle away at the end of the day and use another one the next day.
Old 09-30-2020, 02:22 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Stink Bugs

They will get in the walls and ceiling vents
It can be a serious problem as they can hide and live for months
For those not afraid of properly applied chemicals I used TalStar and spayed all areas of entry ( exhaust fans were my big area ). They were gone in a week we tried all the soap water and other remedies but no luck , at least on a large scale
Old 09-30-2020, 03:29 PM   #10

We were at Buckeye Lake KOA about this time last year. The stink bugs showed up first in the overhead vents. These pesky critters had no odor but were defiantly stink bugs. After we left they were still showing up dead a month later when we returned to Florida. do not know where they were hiding. Emptied the trailer and set off two bombs. Never saw any more.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 03:38 PM   #11

Tempo Ultra SC is another product similar to Talstar. Different active ingredient but very similar properties. Odorless, water based, and residual action. A little goes a long way. Ace Hardware sometimes carries a 1oz bottle of concentrate. Works on a lot of bugs that like to invade RVs.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 03:51 PM   #12
doc

Appalachian Campers
I don't have a solution, but I do have a DON'T DO. We were invaded last year and they got into the bedroom at my s and b. There must have been a couple of hundred that came in thru my emergency A/C unit sitting in the window. I made the mistake to vacuuming the little buggers with the household vacuum. I did not realize the debris that gets vacuumed up goes thru the impeller. I had disintegrated stink bugs in the cannister. I was so proud of myself until the odor hit me. I was gagging and my wife was yelling at me. I broke the machine down and moved it to the back deck where it lived for a couple of weeks airing out. Nasty creatures!
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
You better keep it emptied regularly or you'll have to throw it away!
Maybe I've become inured to the smell over the years, but I hardly notice any more. I just hate them walking around and leaving their tobacco colored stains behind.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:46 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

We've found Bengal Roach Spray to be very effective - it has excellent residual action so works well around the tiny openings the stinkers use, e.g. the corners of a slide or where a hose or wire passes through.

Once they get inside, either pick them up with a small piece of paper towel (thicker than tissue) or suck them up with a hand vac (but the vac filter soon gets stinky!). We keep a container of water in the shower and toss the bugs in it to drown after we scoop them up. It's a losing battle, though. No way to keep them all out if its a major infestation like near fresh cut farm fields.

We used flea bombs inside the coach as soon as practical after being around them. Again, not 100% but it helps. Don't forget the storage bays, battery compartments, etc. They are hiding everywhere.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote