Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2015, 10:51 AM   #1

Stinky RV Bathroom Problem

Does anyone have one of RV vents that you buy that helps with odor ?
We have a new Heartland Gateway. We have used the drop ins, the rinse feature.

Where's cheapest place to buy one?
Bella222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2015, 11:01 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella222 View Post
Does anyone have one of RV vents that you buy that helps with odor ?
We have a new Heartland Gateway. We have used the drop ins, the rinse feature.
Where's cheapest place to buy one?
Bella222
If you have sewer odor in your RV something needs fixing.
Search iRV2 for "tank odors" and try some of the FREE fixes.
(In my experience adding different vents, using tank chemicals and other gizmos and gadgets is like putting a band-aids on a broken leg).
Mel
'96 Safari, 142k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 12:05 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I suggest getting yourself some Happy Camper Extreme from Amazon and treat your tank with this environmentally friendly great product. After trying many products, this is the only one that has kept us completely odor free for the last year and a half. Be sure that when you drain the black tank you rinse it well, and I mean well, then close the valve and let it fill with water for a couple of minutes (to keep solids from building up). I also use Happy Camper in my gray water tank because odors can come from there also. If this doesn't work, then check your vent on top of the roof. Dirt Daubers, wasps and critters sometimes build nests in the vent so make sure it is clear. I bought, but never installed, one of those vent covers that spin around from Camping World. Didn't need it after Happy Camper was found. Others have told me that vent cover works well and it isn't real expensive so you might try that.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 12:06 PM   #4

It might be from the grey tank rather than the black/toilet, it can smell as bad. Check the air admittance valve located under every sink. It's a valve with a rubber flapper that allows air into the system when draining. If it's stuck open sewer smell can find its way into the rig.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 12:12 PM   #5

I love this topic. It has such an odor to it.

Personally, I (and many others) use the Happy Campers product and have done for many years. It's less expensive than anything on the market when used as directed, easy to use and most of all, it works. No odor problems. Particularly in hot weather...
I have seen it in some of the Ace Hardware stores also.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=desktop
Old 06-27-2015, 01:37 PM   #6

Thx everyone will share with hubby.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:22 PM   #7

Looking like it's the gray . One of the auto vents was missing under the sink. Thx so much for help!
Old 06-28-2015, 01:06 PM   #8

There is a break vent under your sink. They break the vacuum so sinks can empty and sometimes they stick openish, aka your stink problem. Very easy to replace with a higher quality device and that eliminates the problem.