Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2023, 10:32 AM   #1

Stinky Slinky VS Macerator Pump

Hello All

As we are getting ready for the camping year (as soon as Tax season is over), we are debating on again using the traditional sewer hose or bring our portable macerator pump.

I have the macerator pump at home so I can dump when we get back from a trip and have been taking the traditional hose with us. At the campground we stay most often I need to link two hoses together to reach the site hook up.

I am thinking that this year we may use the macerator pump so that I am not using as much water to flush the black tank. On travel days I have a 10-foot hose for a quick dump, but our main campground stay is for 8 weeks at a time.

The macerator has a smaller hose that is 20 feet long and the pump itself is small to store.

Not too worried about someone stealing the pump but it could happen.

Any thoughts one way or another? We camp in a travel trailer.

Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts.
Ricker991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2023, 11:01 AM   #2

3" sewer dump/hose allows for full volume/weight of stuff to rapidly move down and out

Macerator with small hose is great when needed but I prefer the 3" hose and the whoosh

ANd why all the flushing of waste tanks/..........just a waste of good water
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 11:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
3"ANd why all the flushing of waste tanks/..........just a waste of good water
If your black tank was clear and you could see inside it you'd understand why. Or google "RV poop pyramid"
MakTruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 11:14 AM   #4

Take both and see which works best for you !
swampdog2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 11:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakTruk View Post
If your black tank was clear and you could see inside it you'd understand why. Or google "RV poop pyramid"
Never had a poop pyramid in any of my RVs ----50 yrs
Dihydrogen monoxide is the key

Waste tanks are just holding tanks not needing cleaning
Dump when full, add few gallons of water back in to keep bottom of tank wet and repeat
Old 01-30-2023, 11:25 AM   #6

As already stated, both have their place. I keep both with me.

I typically prefer to use my hose as it is easer and quicker to set up and use. If you have a mounted macerator it may not be.

So far I have only used my macerator when boondocking (mostly what we do) do either discharge gray water (where legal) 75' from the RV or to pump into my 60 gallon waste tank on the tow vehicle. That tank is still gravity discharge.

Take both and see which you prefer.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 04:22 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Our 2005 Monaco Diplomat came brand new with a SaniCon macerator as standard equipment. Since that time, we bought two more DP's and they were both equipped with a SaniCon the moment they came home.

A mounted SaniCon unit never needs to have the hose cleaned or stored in another compartment after use. We now have the Turbo SaniCon and can empty both of our tanks in half the time a 3" hose will empty a tank.

On a departure day, you simply dump the black tank with the SaniCon and then dump the grey. No need to rinse the hose, just put the cap on the end of the hose and stuff it back into the wet bay.......you're done!!!! No messing with hose cleaning or storage. There is really no contact with any sewer water. In my opinion, the "whoosh" effect can't compete with a SaniCon Turbo.

Our coach has macerator toilets, which means that everything is made into a slurry before it hits the tank. I added an electric black tank drain to my coach, and it came with the SaniCon Turbo. I had switches prewired to inside my coach which allows me to open my black tank drain and run the SaniCon from inside. However, since I have macerator toilets, I can just open the black tank valve and my tanks drain in about five minutes via gravity.

On departure morning, I open the black tank valve from inside the coach, allow the tank to drain (five minutes), close the tank and take a shower. We leave the grey tank open, so the shower water rinses the SaniCon hose. When ready, I disconnect the water, disconnect the power, close the grey tank valve, unscrew the SaniCon connection from the drain, put the cap on and stuff it in the wet. I can disconnect all my shore connections in 3-4 minutes and be fully dumped.

I wouldn't own a coach without a SaniCon unit.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 04:40 PM   #8

X2 for take both and what ever the situation dictates for your ease and comfort...

I always use my sh1t-er-ator but have a 3" on board just in case..

I have had a couple of incidents when friends of the fairer sex were not properly briefed regarding what is NOT allowed in the toilet.....
Old 01-30-2023, 05:48 PM   #9

I have used both systems and don’t have a strong preference for one over the other. The macerater is nice for longer distances to the dump pipe but the 3” hose sounds and feels like I get a more complete dump. Your call, both work.
Dynadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 08:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Our 2005 Monaco Diplomat came brand new with a SaniCon macerator as standard equipment. Since that time, we bought two more DP's and they were both equipped with a SaniCon the moment they came home.

A mounted SaniCon unit never needs to have the hose cleaned or stored in another compartment after use. We now have the Turbo SaniCon and can empty both of our tanks in half the time a 3" hose will empty a tank.

On a departure day, you simply dump the black tank with the SaniCon and then dump the grey. No need to rinse the hose, just put the cap on the end of the hose and stuff it back into the wet bay.......you're done!!!! No messing with hose cleaning or storage. There is really no contact with any sewer water. In my opinion, the "whoosh" effect can't compete with a SaniCon Turbo.

Our coach has macerator toilets, which means that everything is made into a slurry before it hits the tank. I added an electric black tank drain to my coach, and it came with the SaniCon Turbo. I had switches prewired to inside my coach which allows me to open my black tank drain and run the SaniCon from inside. However, since I have macerator toilets, I can just open the black tank valve and my tanks drain in about five minutes via gravity.

On departure morning, I open the black tank valve from inside the coach, allow the tank to drain (five minutes), close the tank and take a shower. We leave the grey tank open, so the shower water rinses the SaniCon hose. When ready, I disconnect the water, disconnect the power, close the grey tank valve, unscrew the SaniCon connection from the drain, put the cap on and stuff it in the wet. I can disconnect all my shore connections in 3-4 minutes and be fully dumped.

I wouldn't own a coach without a SaniCon unit.

That has to be some high pressure poop to empty faster than a 3 inch hose. I have never used a SaniCon so what do I know. But I prefer my poop unpressurized.
Old 01-31-2023, 09:13 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Our macerator is locked up in our storage building...much prefer the "old" way, easier and faster.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:24 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We carried a SaniCon macerator and used it maybe twice a year when we were in a site that the connection was actually too high to use a stinky slinky. Other than that, I much prefer the 3" hose and a quick dump.

Like OB noted, water and more water are the key to not having a buildup in the tanks. It is a lot of wasted water with all the flushing. We full timed 10 years and have had RVs since 1984. I have never had a poop pile in the tank.

While full time, on a short travel day, I would put about 1/4 tank of water in the gray and black tanks. Add a good dish of dishwasher powdered detergent and let it slosh while driving. As soon as we parked, dump both tanks.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 10:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tskadberg View Post
That has to be some high pressure poop to empty faster than a 3 inch hose. I have never used a SaniCon so what do I know. But I prefer my poop unpressurized.
3" Gravity---------140gpm
1" 100psi---------- 37gpm

Old 02-01-2023, 05:09 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm a firm believer in simplicity. I want to spend my time camping and enjoying my RV and not be disassembling a macerator when the motor quits, or the impeller goes south, or a clog happens.
Therefore, I go with the stinky slinky.
The same reason I don't want or need an electric awning or other "luxury" bells and whistles.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, macerator, pump