Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2020, 03:30 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Angry Stolen stinky slinky

Anyone else ever had their stinky slinky stolen?! I mean who does that? We were spending a couple of nights at Shelter Cove RV park in Northern California in our Class C. The day after arrival we wanted to go to a nearby black sand beach for the afternoon. Not wanting to pack everything up, we left our Camp Chef and Solo Stove out, the door mat, the table cloth on the picnic table, the water hose (with filter etc) and the stinky slinky (capped). Upon returning about 4 hrs later we pull up and everything is there but the stinky slinky and water hose setup. My first reaction was "We got robbed!" But then I was like, why would someone steal that stuff and leave the Camp Chef and Solo Stove... So I park and start heading over to the management office thinking that maybe there is a regulation where you can't leave those things hooked up and they temporarily confiscated them. As I'm walking I look at the RV that has parked next to us since we left. I spy some familiar looking equipment and then my gaze rises to meet the eyes of the new arrival. He instantly seems to sense my bewilderment and says "oh, are these yours? I thought they were abandoned..."

A few points here:
1) why would someone think that someone abandoned that stuff, especially when it's clearly at the same site as a pricey grill and fire pit?
2) why would they not take the pricey grill and fire pit?
3) why would anyone want to use someone else's stinky slinky?!
4) where is their stinky slinky and hose?!
Anyway I got my stuff back and I think he hadn't actually used it to flush his tanks with, at least that is what I told my wife lol. While I'd like to say I'll never leave stuff again for the day, it is a pain to pack everything up when venturing out for the day... Has anyone else had an experience like this? What are your thoughts on leaving stuff for the day?
fvdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2020, 04:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvdl View Post
Anyone else ever had their stinky slinky stolen?! I mean who does that? We were spending a couple of nights at Shelter Cove RV park in Northern California in our Class C. The day after arrival we wanted to go to a nearby black sand beach for the afternoon. Not wanting to pack everything up, we left our Camp Chef and Solo Stove out, the door mat, the table cloth on the picnic table, the water hose (with filter etc) and the stinky slinky (capped). Upon returning about 4 hrs later we pull up and everything is there but the stinky slinky and water hose setup. My first reaction was "We got robbed!" But then I was like, why would someone steal that stuff and leave the Camp Chef and Solo Stove... So I park and start heading over to the management office thinking that maybe there is a regulation where you can't leave those things hooked up and they temporarily confiscated them. As I'm walking I look at the RV that has parked next to us since we left. I spy some familiar looking equipment and then my gaze rises to meet the eyes of the new arrival. He instantly seems to sense my bewilderment and says "oh, are these yours? I thought they were abandoned..."

A few points here:
1) why would someone think that someone abandoned that stuff, especially when it's clearly at the same site as a pricey grill and fire pit?
Anyway I got my stuff back and I think he hadn't actually used it to flush his tanks with, at least that is what I told my wife lol. While I'd like to say I'll never leave stuff again for the day, it is a pain to pack everything up when venturing out for the day... Has anyone else had an experience like this? What are your thoughts on leaving stuff for the day?
You should have reported him STEALING your equipment to the manager. And he should be told to leave Immediately as you wouldn't feel safe with a KNOWN thief in the park !
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 04:26 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
When I was in the Navy, someone once took my dirty socks. Back then, I wore socks for more than one day and worked in the fireroom (boiler room ... ship stationed on Guam ... very warm and humid).

I thought that was about the low of low ... nope, maybe just one above your story!
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 04:42 PM   #4

Lol rotfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvdl View Post

A few points here:
Thank you for this post. My wife and I were laughing so hard we were crying!!!!
Old 12-20-2020, 05:33 PM   #5

Nothing worst than a thief! And a stupid thief at that.
Old 12-21-2020, 05:17 AM   #6

Apparently he did not have one and needed one!
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 05:33 AM   #7

Why would you disconnect the slinky if it was already out of storage?

People like that need to see ramifications. Just another spoiled person who believes no one will do anything, so why not.
Old 12-21-2020, 05:42 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If that's all they "borrowed" your lucky. And it's the dirtiest thing they took I could possibly imagine!
Old 12-21-2020, 08:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGoose View Post
Why would you disconnect the slinky if it was already out of storage?

People like that need to see ramifications. Just another spoiled person who believes no one will do anything, so why not.
And when nothing is done is why these things continue
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 08:21 AM   #10

It is hard to fix dumb. I worked with a few guys, that if they saw it they just took it.
Potato chips on the seat at lunch time, o look, free chips.
I was in the bucket working on a pole, and guy sais, you going to drink that soda in your lunch pail. Why are you in my lunch pail.
I put a hard hat sweat band on the seat, go get my hard hat out of side till, look over, and guy is putting new sweat band on his hard hat, the one I put on the seat, on my side.
Ya cant fix dumb.
travelorer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 08:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler4321 View Post
It is hard to fix dumb. I worked with a few guys, that if they saw it they just took it.
Potato chips on the seat at lunch time, o look, free chips.
I was in the bucket working on a pole, and guy sais, you going to drink that soda in your lunch pail. Why are you in my lunch pail.
I put a hard hat sweat band on the seat, go get my hard hat out of side till, look over, and guy is putting new sweat band on his hard hat, the one I put on the seat, on my side.
Ya cant fix dumb.
I lean toward this^^. Not convinced, but leaning.

I have seen all the items mentioned in the op left at campsites in various locations, but never that many all in one place. They were clearly left behind, but I never gave a thought to take them, nor did anyone else during our stays. I have reported to the management some items, however.

It's hard to put yourself in the "mind" of someone who's clueless or simply self-centered like those in the above post, but they exist. Seeing a campsite with no rv is the only criterion that defines "empty" to them. Whatever else is there was abandoned. If this was a campground where the campers pick their own spot, I bet his rig would have been on the pad.

Dumb, clueless, and self-centered. Why would a thief remain next door using the stolen property? Only if they believed the owner was long gone, a belief from one who is dumb, clueless and self-centered.

Yes, I'd report him to the management.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 09:10 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would have told him that he can keep the old slinky and buy you a new one. Who would want his poo in your hose.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 10:40 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Theft from campsites is more common than people might think. At an Oregon state park, we were told to ensure our bikes were locked up at all times as campers were reporting bike theft. At a commercial RV park, the hose and wand were stolen from our outside shower located inside the utility bay. Our friends had their 12v cooler stolen (full of beer) from beside their motorhome at a membership RV park. We've had neighbors in other RV parks who had their chairs stolen or cars broken into and had phone chargers, sun glasses and loose change stolen. We lock everything up if left outside otherwise put away for the night or when we're away shopping or sight seeing.
Old 12-21-2020, 10:49 AM   #14

Wow! In 16 years of full-timing and moving constantly we've never had anything stolen. When boondocking on public lands our Weber gas grill is always outside along with a propane tank connected. We leave our nice recliner chairs out. Most often we're out exploring all day with the Jeep.

It does make common sense to lock up a bike or portable generator or even put it inside out of sight. Some locks are easily cut. This is the practice at the big gathering in Quartzsite AZ each winter.

I would have reported the stinky thief to the manager. It wasn't just a mistake as he thought it was!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote