Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2011, 03:15 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Stone Chip

I got a stone chip in Missippissi on my wind sheild. it's kind of small now. i was wondering if anyone had a chip repaired, and did it work before it got any bigger? My wiindsheild is one big hunk of glass. I seen something on t.v. where they come out and do something to prevent it from growing, Just wondering if it works.
Dave Leeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2011, 03:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Leeper View Post
I got a stone chip in Missippissi on my wind sheild. it's kind of small now. i was wondering if anyone had a chip repaired, and did it work before it got any bigger? My wiindsheild is one big hunk of glass. I seen something on t.v. where they come out and do something to prevent it from growing, Just wondering if it works.
yes it works just get it done at a good glass shop
oldandred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:36 PM   #3

I've had cars done most insurance companies do it for free to save them a new windshield
Old 02-26-2011, 03:41 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
I've had cars done most insurance companies do it for free to save them a new windshield
Agreed.. call your insurance company. I have seen whole windshields replaced too..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:06 PM   #5

I have had several repaired ... most technicians will not repair ones that are directly in the drivers view of the roadway ... (they cite liability)

I call my insurance agent ... they send someone pronto ...

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:21 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had one repaired and you can't even see where it was.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:29 PM   #7
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Call you insurance first.If you get it repaired yourself and it does go all the way, you don't want to give them an excuse not to cover it.
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:27 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I'll just throw this out as an FYI. I had a chip repaired and the company did a great job of repairing. My insurance company paid the whatever, $25 or $50, to do it. Then came the big surprise. My disappearing deductible, well disappeared. Back to the max for at least one year with no claims before it kicks back in. Had I known, i would have paid for the chip repair myself. I gave up $500 deductible for the $50 chip.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:33 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I had my MH windshield repaired in 2004 (it was only 2 weeks old) the glass is still the same no spread at all.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:49 PM   #10

Do not wait long. Water and dirt get into the chip/cracks and make chip repair unreliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldrtrcr View Post
I'll just throw this out as an FYI. I had a chip repaired and the company did a great job of repairing. My insurance company paid the whatever, $25 or $50, to do it. Then came the big surprise. My disappearing deductible, well disappeared. Back to the max for at least one year with no claims before it kicks back in. Had I known, i would have paid for the chip repair myself. I gave up $500 deductible for the $50 chip.
You offered a very good point. I'll remember to ask questions before submitting any < than deductible claims.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:51 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldrtrcr

Yep. Had the same thing happen. I was charged with a comprehensive claim. This was with Progressive.

It would be better to pay for the repair yourself. You could go ahead and break the windshield beyond repair, get it replaced, and be right whe
dons2346 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:15 PM   #12

Damn if you do and damn if you don't. You notify the insurance company and it goes right on your CLUE Report so your suspect as it is. Even if you pay for the misery yourself, they find a way to come after you because you called. I bet each of you that calls got it noted in their Clue.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:16 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've had 4 repaired over the years. I never applied to the insurance for fear of raising my rates. They were about $50 each.
They recommend getting it done as soon as possible.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:38 AM   #14

Most of the major companies that repair windshield chips will also warranty the work if they consider it fixable. So if they crack it or it cracks within so many months, they and not your insurance company are on the hook for a replacement windshield. As posted, most insurance companies will pay to fix the chip. We had a chip in ours last summer and the mobile repair company cracked the windshield while trying to repair it. Small crack at the time, but it now extends all the way to the edge. So they are on the hook for the new glass soon to be installed. On a side note, in FL there is no deductible for glass replacement. This will be the second drivers side windshield for us.

Bob