Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2018, 08:45 AM   #1

Storage Barn

I have a garage that looks like a barn. Middle section has the height to accept my coach. I returned from a trip two days ago and found that the power receptical I had ordered two months ago is now installed. I used my VOM and checked this morning and it is wired correctly. I hooked up an old portable PI power line monitor and it says the power is good. I am working on the fuel line adding two shut off valves at the fuel filter/water separator and will try the new power as soon as I finish.

Next project is To bury a PVC waste line and connect near my septic tank. Good news is that it is slightly down hill. Bad news is that the run will be 340’. I’ve talked my son into renting a trencher and operating it for me.

It’s been hot here as normal for this time of year. I have two large and slow vent fans up high on thermostats. They have been running consistently during the day and intermittently at night when set at 85. Was hoping for better than that as I have good shade trees and the roof and walls are insulated.
markminnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2018, 08:50 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No matter how much insulation you have, with no heat or cooling the building will eventually reach the ambient temp outside.

Mine is not insulated but it does keep the unit and myself out of the sun and rain, and that's a big plus.

Looks like you're in Minnesooota as well. Been really hot here this year so far. Nearly 100 yesterday, but we're due for a break soon I would think.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 04:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
No matter how much insulation you have, with no heat or cooling the building will eventually reach the ambient temp outside.
What about the effects of solar heat gain, ventilation and the fact that the outdoor temperature is always changing?
knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:25 AM   #4

[QUOTE=markminnc;4266290]
Next project is To bury a PVC waste line and connect near my septic tank. Good news is that it is slightly down hill. Bad news is that the run will be 340’. I’ve talked my son into renting a trencher and operating it for me.

My RV shop is in excess of 300 ft. to the septic tank also (down hill as well).
When the county inspector looked at the plan, he said the liquids would "out run" the solids to the tank and it would cause the solids to "stick to" the PVC pipe. I had to install another septic tank (smaller one) close to the shop then run the PVC line from that tank to the house tank to allow only liquids to enter the house tank.
Its been 15 years and (knock on wood) no problems.
You might want to consider before running your line.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:40 AM   #5

[QUOTE=Oldkarphart;4267472]
Quote:
Originally Posted by markminnc View Post

My RV shop is in excess of 300 ft. to the septic tank also (down hill as well).
When the county inspector looked at the plan, he said the liquids would "out run" the solids to the tank and it would cause the solids to "stick to" the PVC pipe. I had to install another septic tank (smaller one) close to the shop then run the PVC line from that tank to the house tank to allow only liquids to enter the house tank.
Its been 15 years and (knock on wood) no problems.
You might want to consider before running your line.
FYI - https://www.wikihow.com/Construct-a-Small-Septic-System

Would work fine - as the amount of septic will be minimal - likely just as much work as running the line, if an issue run the line later or hook a macerator up and just pump it.

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:14 AM   #6

pipe. I had to install another septic tank (smaller one) close to the shop then run the PVC line from that tank to the house tank to allow only liquids to enter the house tank

Yes, I got a similar rejection from our inspector. I argued/debated that with my santiflush I was dumping macerated effluent so all would be OK. He agreed but still would not approve my design as the system might fail for others. We finally spec’d in a 1.25” line instead of the 4” line. This will work with my system according to the mfg and the inspector is OK with it. Trenching is done and we have started running the new line. (I had no way to find sprinkler lines and now have two repairs to make on those.)
markminnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:25 AM   #7

Quote:
pipe. I had to install another septic tank (smaller one) close to the shop then run the PVC line from that tank to the house tank to allow only liquids to enter the house tank

Yes, I got a similar rejection from our inspector. I argued/debated that with my santiflush I was dumping macerated effluent so all would be OK. He agreed but still would not approve my design as the system might fail for others. We finally spec’d in a 1.25” line instead of the 4” line. This will work with my system according to the mfg and the inspector is OK with it. Trenching is done and we have started running the new line. (I had no way to find sprinkler lines and now have two repairs to make on those.)
My bus has macerated system as well, but per the inspector, still needed the extra tank to keep the line from getting the solid effect in the 2" line as it dries up from the drop in elevation....
Good luck with your system, I'm sure you'll be fine!
Old 07-02-2018, 07:15 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
My line runs about 250 feet from my RV garage to the septic. The drop is substantial, about 15 feet down hill. The line from the house joins up about 60 feet from the tank. The line is 4” and the coach material runs through the macerator electric toilets in the coach, but I also have a bath in the “barn” with a conventional toilet.

When we were building all this in early 2016, we went back and forth with county engineer on the design parameters and we finally met in the middle. They insisted I needed a setup that could handle the Red Chinese Army so we installed a very much oversized tank (aerobic). They weren’t that concerned about the line size. We did install four clean outs between the barn and the tank.

County scrutiny is severe here since our property sits on the Edwards Aquifer recharge zone (Austin / San Antonio water supply).

It’s been in service for two years now with no issues. We also have a branch dump for visitors.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:32 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by knit View Post
What about the effects of solar heat gain, ventilation and the fact that the outdoor temperature is always changing?
Our barn has insulated fibre board under the roof panels which helps with solar heating. Also we have full length roof vents that allow hot air to exit. I installed a large exhaust fan in the back end to move air on hot days as well. It's cooler inside than outside in the sun.

Our septic tank here in Minnesoooota, because we are on a lake, had to be as big as what is installed in small Motels and is inspected every couple years. Expensive to install, but no problems since. I can run my macerator hose to the small first tank with no problem.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:40 AM   #10

Quote:

You might want to study up on running sewer lines. If the drop is too steep, the water can run off and leave the solids. I know that on city systems in our area the pipe is put in so the stuff will flow slow, drop, then flow slow again.

Quote:
It’s been hot here as normal for this time of year. I have two large and slow vent fans up high on thermostats. They have been running consistently during the day and intermittently at night when set at 85. Was hoping for better than that as I have good shade trees and the roof and walls are insulated.
You might put a timer in so the fans can only run at night. The hot air you pull out from the top must be replaced. If the air coming in is hot, what have you gained? On the other hand, if the heat rises, and pools near the roof the area you are in may be cooler. When the outside temp drops change the air in building.
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage