Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2021, 11:14 AM   #1

Storage Facility - Brunswick GA?

I'm looking for a safe and secure storage facility near Brunswick GA \ Saint Simons Island to store my 22' TT January through March. I'm not able to store it at the condo complex where I'm staying on SSI, and I'll be taking it out regularly over that time.

Any recommendations? I figured it was worth a try to ask for recommendations before going blind on a Google search.

On the chance I do need to choose based on a Google search, any suggestions for what to look for in a facility?

This will be my first time using a storage facility other than my home.
Souljourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2021, 07:42 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souljourner View Post
I'm looking for a safe and secure storage facility near Brunswick GA \ Saint Simons Island to store my 22' TT January through March. I'm not able to store it at the condo complex where I'm staying on SSI, and I'll be taking it out regularly over that time.

Any recommendations? I figured it was worth a try to ask for recommendations before going blind on a Google search.

On the chance I do need to choose based on a Google search, any suggestions for what to look for in a facility?

This will be my first time using a storage facility other than my home.
For your rig, there should be a lot of options. I guess it comes down to what you want and are willing to pay. Certainly, a closed in storage would give more protection from the elements. Having good access and large enough area to maneuver would be important. Security and on sight cameras would give your rig some protection. Also a 120v plug for me would be a must. I can offer no recommendations but someone may be familiar with the area. Good luck on your search.
Country Road is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:37 AM   #3

I would call and inquire at Coastal Ga RV Resort. They are close to the I95 Brunswick exit and across the street from an outdoor storage facility. No idea but might be able to do something on their site.

Sent from my SM-T387V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
I would call and inquire at Coastal Ga RV Resort. They are close to the I95 Brunswick exit and across the street from an outdoor storage facility. No idea but might be able to do something on their site.

Sent from my SM-T387V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Thank you for that! Funny, but right before I read your suggestion I had been browsing RV Parks that provide storage and this is the park that popped up. I plan to call them in the morning. Thanks for taking the time to share. Do you have any familiarity with this particular park?

My biggest concern is security. I’m wondering which would offer better security - a storage facility or an RV Park?

I’m thinking RV park since there’s more activity and usually a gate of some sort. What do you think?
Old 10-27-2021, 08:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
For your rig, there should be a lot of options. I guess it comes down to what you want and are willing to pay. Certainly, a closed in storage would give more protection from the elements. Having good access and large enough area to maneuver would be important. Security and on sight cameras would give your rig some protection. Also a 120v plug for me would be a must. I can offer no recommendations but someone may be familiar with the area. Good luck on your search.
I’m really expressing my ignorance - why the need for electricity?

I’ve now called several storage facilities in the area and have several options. All say they offer fenced in areas, gates with unique codes, and security cameras. Rates are all pretty similar. None offered indoor storage.

I’ve read on this forum of people being broken into and units stolen from storage facilities. I’m trying to figure out how people get in and then out of locked facilities to steal RV’s?
Old 10-28-2021, 05:21 AM   #6

The RV park would be better in my opinion. There would be much more coming and going. More eyes make thieves nervous.
Old 10-28-2021, 06:50 AM   #7

Quote:
I’m really expressing my ignorance - why the need for electricity?

I’ve now called several storage facilities in the area and have several options. All say they offer fenced in areas, gates with unique codes, and security cameras. Rates are all pretty similar. None offered indoor storage.

I’ve read on this forum of people being broken into and units stolen from storage facilities. I’m trying to figure out how people get in and then out of locked facilities to steal RV’s?
If you decide on a lot to store your RV, then I guess electricity won’t be a requirement because it likely won’t be available.

For me though, I would prefer covered shelter for my investment. With the covered storage, that’s where I would want electricity to be able to charge my batteries or to be able to work on my unit should I desire without having to bring along a generator.
Old 10-28-2021, 02:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
If you decide on a lot to store your RV, then I guess electricity won’t be a requirement because it likely won’t be available.

For me though, I would prefer covered shelter for my investment. With the covered storage, that’s where I would want electricity to be able to charge my batteries or to be able to work on my unit should I desire without having to bring along a generator.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I have solar and more lithium battery than I need, which takes care of the electricity issue, and unfortunately, I have not been able to locate indoor or covered storage, which would be my preference too if I could find it.

The good news is I'm planning to have the RV out quite a bit as we travel from our GA base. I need a facility for when I return because the condo complex where I spend my winter doesn't allow the parking of RV's.

Checking out RV parks for storage........
Old 10-28-2021, 06:56 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Thank you for that! Funny, but right before I read your suggestion I had been browsing RV Parks that provide storage and this is the park that popped up. I plan to call them in the morning. Thanks for taking the time to share. Do you have any familiarity with this particular park?

My biggest concern is security. I’m wondering which would offer better security - a storage facility or an RV Park?

I’m thinking RV park since there’s more activity and usually a gate of some sort. What do you think?
Coastal Ga RV Park is a very nice spot , we stay there at least 3 times a year when traveling from our North Carolina home to Disney World .
It’s very clean and modern and we have met some very nice people there .
petewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 09:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by petewolff View Post
Coastal Ga RV Park is a very nice spot , we stay there at least 3 times a year when traveling from our North Carolina home to Disney World .
It’s very clean and modern and we have met some very nice people there .
Thank you so much for that endorsement. Sadly, I discovered today that they don’t offer storage. Still looking…..
Old 10-29-2021, 06:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I have solar and more lithium battery than I need, which takes care of the electricity issue, and unfortunately, I have not been able to locate indoor or covered storage, which would be my preference too if I could find it.

The good news is I'm planning to have the RV out quite a bit as we travel from our GA base. I need a facility for when I return because the condo complex where I spend my winter doesn't allow the parking of RV's.

Checking out RV parks for storage........
Your due diligence will reward you. Good luck in your search.
Old 10-31-2021, 07:00 AM   #12

Quote:

I am quite familiar with this park and make it a point to stop here on trip S to FL each winter (and usually when returning N as well). Its a very nice park, all paved roads & sites, mostly pull thru with some back ins. They are one of the few parks that provide non-potable water to every site for washing RVs & vehicles. We like to stop in Brunswick to run through the Blue Beacon truck wash nearby to get MH & toad washed after a sometimes sloppy winter trip S.
The restaurants are good and plentiful in the area as well. Most locations in FL (except the far S) are accessible via an easy one day trip.
I believe the park has some connection to a small unused strip mall that adjoins them and I have seen MHs parked there at times. If that doesn't work out there is a fenced storage facility across the street. In general that area is open / visible with a fair amount of traffic & activity.
As far as which is more secure...
I hate to generalize and really think both can be secure but warrant a first hand look and asking questions to evaluate. If either have a degree of on-site presence it is a plus. Obviously an indoor locked storage facility would be tops but more expensive and often hard to come by.
Have you inquired at the condo complex?
Some have designated storage areas but even if not they may have experience / recommendation where they refer folks to.
Old 10-31-2021, 03:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
I am quite familiar with this park and make it a point to stop here on trip S to FL each winter (and usually when returning N as well). Its a very nice park, all paved roads & sites, mostly pull thru with some back ins. They are one of the few parks that provide non-potable water to every site for washing RVs & vehicles. We like to stop in Brunswick to run through the Blue Beacon truck wash nearby to get MH & toad washed after a sometimes sloppy winter trip S.
The restaurants are good and plentiful in the area as well. Most locations in FL (except the far S) are accessible via an easy one day trip.
I believe the park has some connection to a small unused strip mall that adjoins them and I have seen MHs parked there at times. If that doesn't work out there is a fenced storage facility across the street. In general that area is open / visible with a fair amount of traffic & activity.
As far as which is more secure...
I hate to generalize and really think both can be secure but warrant a first hand look and asking questions to evaluate. If either have a degree of on-site presence it is a plus. Obviously an indoor locked storage facility would be tops but more expensive and often hard to come by.
Have you inquired at the condo complex?
Some have designated storage areas but even if not they may have experience / recommendation where they refer folks to.
Thanks for taking the time to respond and share your experiences.

Storage is not quite the right word, since I plan to take the TT out regularly, but unfortunately the condo complex has a rule about no trailers. This will be my third winter staying in the Brunswick, GA area, Saint Simons Island to be precise, but the first winter keeping our TT with us to be able to explore the southern states a bit more from our home base in GA.

I'm aware that parts of Brunswick can be a bit sketchy, and felt squeamish about the security of the storage facilities I was finding that had availability. I was willing to pay for indoor storage, but alas, none were available, nor were outdoor spots available at the facilities that had the best reviews, including the storage across from the Coastal GA RV Park (which doesn't offer RV storage). No surprise!

But good news! I was able to locate an RV Park with decent reviews that provided storage - Walkabout RV Park, Woodbine, GA, 2 miles off of I-95 at exit 7. I figure with people constantly around the chance of having any sort of a security issue would be pretty small and I feel good about my final answer. :-)

Winemaker2 - as a fellow New Yorker regularly making the trip south, wondering if you have any recommendations for a no frills overnight around Richmond / Fredericksburg VA? We'd like to spend our first night on the road minimizing our chance of snow, and an hour or so south of DC would be just about the right distance for us to travel. We'll be pulling in early evening, then leaving first thing in the morning, and a truck stop or travel plaza would be find.

I realize this is off the topic of this thread, but since I'm the OP I guess I can do that!

Any suggestions?
Old 10-31-2021, 04:44 PM   #14

Glad you found something for storage.
I avoid Richmond so can't help w stops near there. We usually stay 1st night at Candy Hill off I81 at Winchester as thats a good 1st day run for us.
We frequently take I64 E from Staunton and run Rt29 S. Its 4 lane divided but has some grade crossings. Not many lights as most towns are bypassed. A lot more relaxing travel than I95!
If you want more detail on routes let me know and I'll attach or send you a PDF I put together for friends and others interested.

Tags
storage