Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2011, 12:47 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post
In order from best to worst:

1) In your property, housed in its dedicated building with FULL hookups.

2) In your fenced yard, with no hook-ups.

3) Storage facility.

I have my rig in my fenced yard, just outside my backyard sliding door. I wish I had sewer and a 30-amp hookup, but that's in the future. I LOVE it in my property because I can work on it at my pace, I save a ton of money in storage fees AND it makes for extra room when my family visits me from the East. I don't worry too much about people knowing if we're gone because our neighbors are cool and we look out for one another.

IMO, having your rig in some storage facility miles away lessens the RV experience.
Even if I'm not working or tinkering on it I just like the idea of looking at it
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2011, 12:47 AM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
A friend had his in a farmers quonset with the farming machinery. Last spring when he brought it out it had more mice than Walt Disney. I use a gated storage facility, well lit, security camera equipped, and diligent rodent control. 70/month.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:42 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Even if I'm not working or tinkering on it I just like the idea of looking at it
Haha. ME TOO !!

Peacekeeper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:51 AM   #32

I store mine because I absolutely have no choice/space. Actually been thinking of getting a house with enough room for it and enough room for future bigger/better upgrade
Yellowreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:06 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowreef View Post
I store mine because I absolutely have no choice/space. Actually been thinking of getting a house with enough room for it and enough room for future bigger/better upgrade
The epitome of being a man, is when you have to buy a new house to have room for your toys, love it.

If I keep mine at home I will be able to brag that I had to cut a tree down to get it down the driveway, now that's a big toy

Don't worry I wont cut the tree down, I have circular driveway, I'll go in the other side. I'm just going to tell everyone I cut a tree down.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:38 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I have a slab next to the garage. I put in a 50-amp plug and store the motor home there. I like being able to work on it whenever I want and not having to go get it when it's time to go somewhere. I have always stored an RV at my home.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:23 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Debating with the DW about keeping the MH (40' DP Class).........Her rational is thieves will no we are not home if they see the RV there day after day then it's gone..... What do you guys do and why?

DW and I bought in a town home association with an RV and trailer storage area for the exact reason your wife gives for having it stored at other than your driveway or from a viewable location in your back yard. You pull out and every punk within a mile or so knows the house is vacant. If you have the space and can build a fully enclosed barn, that would be a different matter. IMHO, say "yes Dear", make sure you have good insurance and put it in storage.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:40 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had my Jeep on a trailer in a Fenced outside storage lot for two years at $105.00 per month, but half was rented to a school bus company and they would leave the gate open all the time. Now the building on the property has been rented to a guy making it into a Gym and he is keeping the gate open all the time. I was going to put the Motorhome there (even at $170.00 per Month) since the school bus company left, but now I have taken the jeep and trailer out and will keep everything at home. Just have to keep shuffling around the parking so nothing gets tickets until I can sell a few items like the trailer, jeep and 3/4 ton Diesel pickup.

I would love a $70.00 per month storage, but it an't going to happen around here...
Old 09-07-2011, 11:41 AM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We keep ours with a group of four other MHs at a boat dealer's storage lot. Each MH has power and an individual gate. There is a live on site guard. One reason we do not keep it at home is that we don't have a barn or place big enough to keep it out of the weather.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:28 PM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
When we built the house back in 2000 we put in a parking space (paved) beside the house for the coach. I had a 30 amp box installed also. (should have gone 50 amp) anyhow. We love the coach beside the house. I can go hide in it when necessary and swear that I am ''fixin somethin'' while layin on the sofa takin a nap with the ac's running. (i am testing the ac's dear)
Another great advantage is when ''company comes by'' and they want their own ''place'' we give the coach because we have a full hook up and they have their privacy and if they bring their dogs we dont have to worry about our dogs eating up their dogs. We have spare bed rooms in the house but some folks like their own ''place''.... not a problem.....
Yesterday I had the house water heater to go bad. The burner went south and no hot water. Not a problem .... The coach was right there with hot water for whatever. A few weeks ago there was a fire and explosion at some sort of chemical factory down the road from us about 3 miles. The police called us and said ''PREPARE TO ABANDON YOUR HOUSE IF THE WIND CHANGES''.. We threw in the dogs and my meds, dropped the jacks and unplugged and were ready to leave in a moments notice if necessary. DIDNT HAPPEN, THEY GOT THE FIRE UNDER CONTROL....

To be honest, I would be lost without the coach beside the house and when we leave I have a retired New York Policeman beside me and he watches the place like a hawk. He and I are close friends and he has that ''New York Cop attitude about intruders''.

Anyhow. that is the way it is here .......

Lets all thank a Veteran for our freedoms. Sometime go to Arlington National Cemetery ,,,,,,,,,,, kneel down,,,,,, touch a head stone and say a prayer of thanks to the hero's that died for us..... think about it ...
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:41 PM   #39

After 11 years of storing the popup in the garage, our new hybrid (24') does not fit. Searching for a place to safely store it has become a chore. You can't complain when you can pay for a new camper without financing it, but here in Jacksonville, Fla. the cheapest place to store it is $30 monthly in a parking lot without a fence on a major highway (US1) on the East coast. Behind a gate with cameras costs $80 monthly and is 30 miles away. Demand is high and waiting lists exist for $150 monthly sites close to my house. No campers, boats, etc. allowed unless in a garage in the neighborhood. Again, the "problems" of the fortunate...
Barklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Please don't hate me for this, BUT I store mine in my garage. When we bought our house 20 years ago I made sure we had enough room to put in a really big garage. The economy went south and builders were looking for work Soooo I built a 1,800 sq ft garage with a raised center section for a Motorhome which I knew I would never have, the truck and camper were just fine, Ah ha until I retired and guess what, thats right we love our Motorhome. Am I lucky ? You bet I am.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:55 PM   #41

Mines parked beside the house: I like to keep my toys close; much easer to play with.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:04 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
I like keeping mine at home from mid-March to mid-Dec, when I usually use it 3 long wknds in a month. After that it goes in an unheated warehouse with electric for less than $100 a month.. This works for me but I sure would like a garage at home to store it.. $50k to store at home isn't going to happen right now...

Tags
storage