Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2015, 06:41 AM   #1

Storm door conversion

I may have missed this, but I have not seen a writeup about this mod. I have done this 10 or more times when I include friends rv's and my own.

Cut plexiglass to fit as inserts in your screen door. I buy at Lowes or Home Depot the .080 thickness, it is lite, and very clear. Also purchase screen retaining clips, and small sheet metal screws. Very easy to cut with a skill saw and a fine blade. You also can have them cut it for you.

Very nice if your in and out of the rv all day. Plus it allows more light in. Keeps your a/c or heated space comfy.

If your very committed to this, you can silicon them in place, however if you use the clips you can revert to a screen in just a few mins.

L.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2015, 09:07 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I'm glad you didn't waste a lot of space on a step by step, picture by picture, how to . Most of us get the idea with little prompting. Thanks. I really mean it.
woodfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
I may have missed this, but I have not seen a writeup about this mod. I have done this 10 or more times when I include friends rv's and my own.

Cut plexiglass to fit as inserts in your screen door. I buy at Lowes or Home Depot the .080 thickness, it is lite, and very clear. Also purchase screen retaining clips, and small sheet metal screws. Very easy to cut with a skill saw and a fine blade. You also can have them cut it for you.
Very nice if your in and out of the rv all day. Plus it allows more light in. Keeps your a/c or heated space comfy.
If your very committed to this, you can silicon them in place, however if you use the clips you can revert to a screen in just a few mins.
L.
Lloyd in S.C
I must be missing something??
How can adding plexiglass panels over the screen in a screen door allow more light in?
Wondering.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:30 AM   #4

Then the outer door can be left open. But the AC can stay on.
leeshearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:54 AM   #5

I want to do mine but use Lexan it is better then Plexiglas
Pete1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Lloyd in S.C
I must be missing something??
How can adding plexiglass panels over the screen in a screen door allow more light in?
Wondering.
Mel
'96 Safari
If no storm door,we have to close the coach door, assuming your running the a/c or heat. Here in the south, not too many camping days with out a/c.

L.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:40 PM   #7

Take very specific accurate measures with you t Loews. They will do the Lexan cuts for free while you wait. I carefully sketched a to-scale drawing and was able to get all my sections cut from a single std size sheet.
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door