Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2020, 08:28 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Took a D6 to pull him out, yikes. Matt's Off Off Road Recovery works the same area, sometimes with Casey. Sponsored by Yankum recovery ropes. Has a whole trunk of different ropes. Amazing what he can literally yank out with a built jeep Cherokee and 20 feet of slack. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwd...NF9WIe_3uCfz9Q
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2020, 09:04 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have pulled out a lot of trucks and MH with my old CJ7 and built from scratch Jeep I have now. Good strap and a lot of horse power. Probably 18,000 lb and less, no big DP. I took my 34' Southwind to Pismo, Glamis , Dumont Dunes, Oregon Sand dunes and Lone Rock and my a Jeep could pull it in or out with no problem. Don't think my DS will make it to Lone Rock or Pismo anymore.
Old 11-03-2020, 09:39 AM   #31

i live about 7 miles from the Oregon dunes, its plain to see alot of you have never been in or around sand before. let the air out, bag the tires, air down, are a few terms used for someone to let the air down for much better traction. and the tow strap is an off roaders number one tool. Oregon dunes have a lot of designated camping sites out in the dunes area and are usually full all summer. its amazing the vehicles and campers that you see out in the sand. just people having fun
Jay D.
Jay D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:46 AM   #32

I was a bit surprised when I watched this video because we were in Sisters, Oregon a month ago and we watched this very coach pull in for a couple nights. It was a very bright and shiny paint job to say the least.
Old 11-12-2020, 03:29 PM   #33

Alpine Owners Club
Stuck in the sand -- me too!!!!

Alpine Coach 36'
Campground owner put me here himself.
He said big motorhomes park here all the time.
HE PAID THE TOW TRUCK & I CAMPED FREE !!!!!!!!!!!!
He paid the coach damage to the radiator grill -- $1,500
I camped free.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140212_103055.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	470.6 KB
ID:	307791   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140212_122030.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	421.8 KB
ID:	307792  

tjshively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 03:43 PM   #34

I'm guessing that coach is north of the $2M mark. I doubt he's deeply concerned about the cost of the tow.
Old 11-12-2020, 03:49 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck&Pam View Post
Found this online and thought this group would like to see it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GoRVing/com...tm_name=iossmf
I got stuck on my friends waterfront property right next to the water(17ft up). yup nice solid sand/dirt/no grass. Well there wasn't a tow for sure, since I'm NOT forking out 2200. bucks to let them Damage my RV. So out came the pads down came the jacks and extra pads wen under the drive tires. took 6 levels to get out and moved 22ft, but it sure didn't cost 2200 and I didn't damage the Rig. and nope not parking there again, 21k rig just doesn't sit as well as a larger 5th wheel no matter what the 5th wheel owner says.
Old 11-12-2020, 05:12 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Other than being fresh water I'm not sure that makes it better. Let's say instead they regularly ran off the road and needed to be towed out. I can't imagine either is good on suspension parts.

But it does reinforce my practice of buying new because you never know what kind of things a prior owner would have done.
The pictured sand is more like dirt. There is a huge difference between that and beach sand. If you are stuck in beach sand, just add water. It gets hard.
Any thing else just turns into mud.
ncbeachbums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 05:29 PM   #37

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck&Pam View Post
Found this online and thought this group would like to see it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GoRVing/com...tm_name=iossmf
Can’t get access to this link.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:27 PM   #38

As Ron White says you can’t fix stupid.
Grandpa5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:01 PM   #39

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Oh that was good! But it should be a permanant reminder to check out what you are driving on and parking on before putting your big toy on it! A few suggestions on what to do when stuck: Dig out a path first in the direction you came from (usually retreating). Remember the axle needs a path too. Use the coach's jacks with stout blocks of wood under them to lift it up, dig under all tires and set planks of wood under them and let coach back down on them. Add a few more planks in the direction you are going. Get tow line attached safely (frame, draw bar), put a wet blanket in the center of tow line (safety in case it snaps and ricochets). Start pulling and keep front wheels going straight on tow and tower vehicle. I’ve done this many times with stuck coaches and always got them out on first try. PS- tell stuck vehicle driver THEY have to repair the damage to the spot they just created.
Jchemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:39 PM   #40

Proof that being smart is not a prerequisite to being wealthy. - Paul
Old 11-13-2020, 07:18 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
just remember, before calling the tow, let the air out of your tires
That is what we do riding the sand dunes along Lake Michigan. Tires need to change foot print and he most likely would have driven out on his own
sunvale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 11:34 AM   #42

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It is very easy to pass judgement on the Prevost owner, but this site was set up for a Rally and looked to be OK to drive (see the longer description on YouTube).

It is very difficult to feel the traction as we operate the motorhome, and by the time you realize you might have an issue, it usually is too late.

I don't fault the owner, and in fact, I would bet that most of the folks on this forum would probably have followed the same path (and same result).

Unfortunately, when you are driving a $2M rig, you are an easy target.

I also wonder who paid for the pull out and how much it cost. That was a lot of effort.
pete5016 is offline   Reply With Quote