Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2020, 11:49 AM   #43

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchemie View Post
Oh that was good! But it should be a permanant reminder to check out what you are driving on and parking on before putting your big toy on it!
Even just pulling off the road to let traffic bye, or bathroom break!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2020, 05:53 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you can afford that RV then you can afford the tow.
Old 11-13-2020, 06:14 PM   #45

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Another beach story

Before going fulltime I owned a house on Tybee Island, GA. A street perpendicular to the main road ran in front of my and the four other houses so I faced the lot in front of me That lot was double wide and ran from the main street to the Atlantic Ocean. There was an old beach house on the lot and it all was owned for many years by a large family. They took turns staying at the house, usually in two to four week shifts, and when not occupied they rented it out.

A builder decided he wanted to take the old house down (it is on the National Historic Places list) and build a neighborhood with ten to fourteen homes. The closer the home was to the ocean the more expensive it would be. He offered the owners $10 million for the lot and everything on it and the owners accepted. No paperwork was exchanged at that point. One owner purchased a new and very expensive DP before any documents were signed.

A wood board fence with concrete posts bordered my street. The entry road to the lot was surrounded by large oak trees and a not easily obtained permit was needed to cut them down. Since the oaks were in the way the owners knocked down a portion of the fence. The RV squeezed down my street and crossed where the fence was onto the lot.

Here is the part you need to visualize. This is an island and there is a lot of sand. My wife and I sat on our deck and watched the RV come down our road. We knew what was going to happen. The RV crossed onto the lot and started sinking. They managed to get it all of the way onto the lot and no farther. The sand came about half way up their tires. The RV owner and family slept in their coach for a few nights, tried unsuccessfully to dig out, then had a semi type tow truck pull them out and back onto my road and off they went.

Now for the cool part. The city was angry with the builder (justifiable in my opinion) and refused to approve the permits and variances needed so the sale never happened. The guy was stuck with a brand new and expensive RV he couldn’t afford, and when I sold my house two years later the lot was still empty except for the old house, the oaks were still there, and the for sale sign was removed.
Old 11-13-2020, 08:09 PM   #46

Wow! Loved the story. Thanks
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 09:09 PM   #47
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
There was a video floating around ( I can't remember where it was) of the owner taking delivery of that coach. It was gorgeous. Five weeks afterward the rig is stuck on the beach.
Old 11-14-2020, 07:40 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-DS View Post

Money does not buy you common sense.
Common sense is not that common any longer
sunvale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 01:43 PM   #49

This is what happens when class A high end coaches leave their comfort zones of the exclusive motorcoach resorts.

If you want to play in the sand you had better be equipped with tow points for the heavy equipment to drag your sorry backside out. A recovery like that must cost more than what most of our rigs are worth.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 03:04 PM   #50

Most of the extremely high net worth guys I know - aside from the inheritors - are risk-takers.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 03:15 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
Most of the extremely high net worth guys I know - aside from the inheritors - are risk-takers.
Very true. Most of the people that have a lot of money are risk takers. They either make it big or go broke. Most of us are afraid to put it all out there.
sanda is offline   Reply With Quote