Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2020, 02:17 PM   #1

Styrofoam in the Skylight?

We have a new to us 32ft 5th wheel. I’m working on resealing the roof but prior to doing that I have a question in regards to the skylight in the main living area. The previous owner has put a piece of styrofoam in the skylight, he said he did this to reduce the heat. It appears he did this from the top.

I’m wondering if I should....

Remove the styrofoam put the top back on and reseal.

Leave it as is and just reseal.

Remove the styrofoam and put a darker cover.

I guess I’m not certain why he put it in from the top? Could it not be put in and taken out from the inside of the trailer if I changed my mind in the future?
1218RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2020, 03:41 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Remove it and reseal. If yo find you need to block the heat, you can buy an insert (from the inside) made just for blocking out the light and heat.

https://www.campingworld.com/solar-v...%2Fvent-covers

https://www.campingworld.com/vent-cu...ap-106744.html
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 04:22 PM   #3

I can't understand putting it on from the top.

We used a 'pillow' made exactly for that purpose. Slip it in from the inside when you want to keep the cold or heat out and take it out when you want the light or when you want to use the fan that may be there.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 05:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1218RV View Post
We have a new to us 32ft 5th wheel. I’m working on resealing the roof but prior to doing that I have a question in regards to the skylight in the main living area. The previous owner has put a piece of styrofoam in the skylight, he said he did this to reduce the heat. It appears he did this from the top.

I’m wondering if I should....

Remove the styrofoam put the top back on and reseal.

Leave it as is and just reseal.

Remove the styrofoam and put a darker cover.

I guess I’m not certain why he put it in from the top? Could it not be put in and taken out from the inside of the trailer if I changed my mind in the future?
I would do as your last sentence. You may be able to remove it from inside now. Every roof disturbance is a potential leak.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:46 PM   #5

i have Styrofoam pieces that fit from the inside, i can't see that much heat loss there. I've only used mine a few times and that was in Alaska to darken the inside so i could get to sleep better.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 04:09 AM   #6

Without seeing a picture of the skylight my guess it was installed from the bottom. The skylight trim piece is held in place with several hopefully painted stainless steel screws, and removing them you can pull the trim off and have access to the outside portion of the skylight. Now is also a god time to clean any debris, bugs, dirt from the 3 pieces and then install a cover of your desire. I made a cover that slipped up on the inside, friction fit, that I could remove when the sun wasn't blaring through. Generally we like the light coming through, just not a Tuscon summer version.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:14 AM   #7
IC2

If that 'foam is between the screen and cover, easy to remove. Most screens are attached by either a couple screws or by a set of 3-4 clips. Or you can open the cover, go up on the roof and pull it away.

If you have a hood such as a MaxxAire - these are held in closed by a pair of clips. Pull them, and swing the cover. It will rotate open.

You can replace the MaxxAire hoods with a cark version. If you don't need/want to use that vent, a material called Reflectix (sp) is available at Home Depot/Lowe's and works better then 'foam
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:22 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I doubt he installed it from the roof, unless he was working to replace the vent, and just dropped it in there not thinking.

The skylight usually has a trim ring you remove inside the trailer, then a clear Plexiglas sheet comes out. It is used to mimic a thermal barrier. Mine was that way. Depends on the manufacturer.

I taped white copy paper to the inside of the dome 4 years ago to cut the light coming into the room. Still works fine now.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:11 AM   #9

Skylight- keep it or ditch it?

This is a related question to this discussion. I'm in the process of restoring a 1997 Class A that has a skylight in the shower. so, since I've never owned and RV before, should I keep the skylight or ditch it?
TommieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommieG View Post
This is a related question to this discussion. I'm in the process of restoring a 1997 Class A that has a skylight in the shower. so, since I've never owned and RV before, should I keep the skylight or ditch it?
That becomes a personal preference. The shower skylight raises the ceiling in the shower a bit so taller people like the extra room. The skylight gives extra light in the bath area but that extra light can be extra heat. On a 23 year old RV the skylight could be brittle or fragile so maybe it needs replacing or resealing.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light