Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2021, 10:39 PM   #1

Suggestions for best printer to use in Class A?

We are new to working from our Beaver Coach. Occasionally need a printer/scanner/copier. The one we had didn't last long and wondering if it couldn't handle the jarring from the roads.
Before we buy another one, thought we'd see if anyone has recommendations? Thanks!
jmcwatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2021, 11:22 PM   #2

I can't comment about the vibrations, but a color laserjet is going to have the longest life for the inks, as the toner can't dry out. They are also quite affordable and the replacement toners are available for $15 or a little more on Amazon from companies that recycle the cartridges, rather than $90+ from HP.
Old 11-26-2021, 07:19 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcwatters View Post
We are new to working from our Beaver Coach. Occasionally need a printer/scanner/copier. The one we had didn't last long and wondering if it couldn't handle the jarring from the roads.
Before we buy another one, thought we'd see if anyone has recommendations? Thanks!
We use a HP 6200 series printer/copier/scanner. But we do not use it as a scanner, instead we have a small portable scanner Epson ES 200 series. We have had this little scanner for several years and guess what, it does a great job. Better than any combo style we have ever had in the house.
We have been full time now for going on 3 years in our large 5th wheel. In this time, we have around 20,000 miles on the rig.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 08:32 AM   #4

I would start with figuring out how much space you have to dedicate to the printer and go from there.

None of them are "designed" to take continual vibration.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 08:57 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Definitely go with a laser printer. As to which one, measure your storage location size and go from there. We just have a small B&W, but it works every time we take it out. We tried an ink jet, but that dried out far too often,
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 09:46 AM   #6

I have a HP desk jet 3752. Not overly small, but easy to find ink, can be bought at waliworld. Over 6 years of travel and no problems. That being said. I only use it a few times a year. Does all the things the OP needs. What I do is take the cartrages out, put electric tape over contact/ink ends and store in a zip lock bag in printer. What really saves the day, is, having a cheep easy ink refill kit. If printer sais, out of ink, you just give it a little fill and off and running.
Old 11-26-2021, 10:14 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I've carried ink jet printers for years and never had problems unique to use in the coach except for using power from modified sine converters - and that was back around 2000. Newer ones seem to tolerate that ok too. My last two ink jets were HP's, one 2000-series and then an HP 4041.

Rather than brand name, I think size & location (wiring) are the two main constraints. If you have wifi in the RV, that makes location much simpler. If you need to work without shore or generator power, a pure sine inverter is a cleaner power source.

As somebody said, none of these printers are designed for a rugged environment, but the mainstream models from HP & Epson seem to handle road vibration ok. If you are convinced you have mechanical vibration issues, there are rugged printers available but at a hefty price. Google "rugged portable printer' and you will find several from Epson, Glacier, Brother, etc.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 10:41 AM   #8

We traveled with a laser printer for 16 years. Each of our two full-timing RVs had a dedicated desk and a printer slideout on the bottom of cabinet. We had a thick foam cushion under it. They traveled well. We had a small portable scanner that we kept elsewhere & brought out when needed.

I really don't think you have to worry much about a printer.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 10:57 AM   #9

We have a small Brother 23000 B&W laser printer that works perfectly. It doesn't scan but this summer I learned to scan with the Pages app on my iPhone. Looking at the results I'd swear it came out of a traditional scanner.
vseasport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 11:53 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I didn't want the hassle of inkjets and rarely needed a color copy anyway, so we went with the Samsung M2070W monochrome laser printer. It's wireless, very fast, and a lot less expensive to operate than the inkjets!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 12:48 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mil spec

https://novaintegration.com/products...spec-printers/

Old 11-26-2021, 01:45 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Been using an Epson 3760 for a year with no problems. I do a lot of printing and copying. The scan feature is kinda bulky but does have good resolution. I have yet to have to refil the ink supply
Old 11-26-2021, 02:18 PM   #13

This may help and there are other review sites. I really don't think the movement of being in a motorhome will be an issue.... a trailer maybe as they are bouncier but like I stated above, we had a 5th wheel for 8 yr with a laser printer and 8 yr with a motorhome and no issues.

I boils down to features you want and size. Do you have a dedicated place for it or will you have to haul it out every time you want to use it?

https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-printers
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 06:41 AM   #14

Have had an UP 6000 series wireless printer/scanner/copier for 3 years now. I cut 4 small blocks from Delton to hold the 4 corners from sliding around on the bedroom counter where it resides. I doubt that one can find anything more compact.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a