Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2023, 08:52 AM   #1

Suggestions for Home/RV Combo Home Base

Looking for suggestions or guidance for a home base that is RV friendly. More specifically a location that comprises a house and allows the motor home to be parked next to the house in an RV Port or Garage. We travel for 4 to 6 months of the year. This location needs to be safe and secure while gone for those extended periods of time.
I am open to all suggestions and locations, thanks.
Our20th is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2023, 09:36 AM   #2

Rule #1 and 1st question to ask - is the home in an HOA or restricted development. Even some municipalities are trying to get MoHo’s and RV’s out of their communities by limiting any extension in front of the front building line, to include that of vehicles. And also requiring that any vehicle must be parked on an “improved (aka concrete) surface, or that it cannot be seen (while standing on the ground) from outside of the property lines.
Old 03-27-2023, 09:45 AM   #3

I've thought about a Garagedominium. They are getting more and more popular and I believe there are even communities of them starting up.
https://metalbuildinghomes.org/garagedominium/
https://www.barndominiumlife.com/garagedominium/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	garage with living.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	389008  
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 09:57 AM   #4

You could buy a house at Escapees Rainbow Plantation or Rainbows End parks.
Old 03-27-2023, 10:51 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I guess it will depend on where you decide to live.

I'm fortunate enough to live where there's never a need to lock anything. All my cars, pickup, motorcycles and even our MH have the keys in them all the time.

We took a year and backpacked around the world in 1989 and didn't lock our doors then. It's still nice and safe here even with all the troubles in the city.

So my advice would be to find a nice rural property and build your house and MH garage there. Good neighbours are the key.

BTW, enjoy your Adventurer. We have a 2008 38J and love it.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 11:15 AM   #6

What part of the country are you wanting to home base in? That makes a difference.

Rural property is an option in most of the country, but I've found for RV communities specifically, there's tons in the Southwest. From small housing developments designed with the RV owner in mind, to just lots with utilities and a storage shed. It all depends on your budget.

We originally owned a home on 5 acres, sold it to full time, and looked for a home base as we traveled the US. Our primary goal was to find something in a place we liked, yet was convenient for travel. My wife is from a small town in the Midwest and we seriously just though of buying a place with some land there since it was centrally located, near her family and home home/land prices were reasonable. Often, while traveling, if we liked an area, she would search online for RV communities and we'd take a drive through, or make an appointment for a tour. It was not uncommon that there were residents out walking in those neighborhoods, and we'd stop and talk to them about the place. The ones we looked at seemed to have residents that looked after each other and we saw quite a few neighborhood watches signs. These places come in many flavors, some very high end gated communities, and others fairly basic. Many have pretty significant HOA fees and some have age restrictions for your RV.

A third option is some private campgrounds have housing sections. We recently purchased a home in just such a place - in an Escapee's park. It's in a rural area Northwest of Phoenix. It has small lots for RV or park models only (not both) and large 1/4 acre lots with small houses and an RV spot with hook-ups on the lot. There's no age restrictions for the RV, but there is limits on size of the house and how much of your property is buildable - houses must be one story only. For us, the place is perfect. For me more so, because it is a ways out of town, and this community doesn't have any street lights. I'm a lifelong amateur astronomer and this place is almost ideal, with dark desert skies and great horizons. A great place for a little observatory.

While it's not

For 30+ years we lived out in the country, so having to drive 7 miles to town isn't a big deal. The community is small enough, and is full of fellow RVers so it seems like there's always someone around to help out, or to keep an eye on your place. It's also very clean and neat. The rules even allow you to have someone stay on your property while you are gone. They are called "lot sitters." There's a process to go through, and some paperwork to submit, but it can be very handy for residents who are traveling for months or snowbirds.

While it's not in the central US, it is centralized to so many of the places we like to camp and in our case is equal distance from my wife's family, mine and our kids.

So, as you can see there are plenty of options. Choose some areas and search for RV communities, RV villages, or RV communities with homes. Or property not in a development with HOAs that may restrict onsite RV storage.

Hope this helps.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 11:26 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
In Parrish FL (Manatee County), there's a whole subdivision of folks with like-minds who, not 100%, but many of them have houses with RV garages right next to them. Zoom into the map, go to street view and you'll see many examples of what I'm talking about.

I saw this place going by it on a number of motorcycle rides, always thought what a neat place, no restrictions and the whole subdivision likely looks out for each other.

Parrish FL Subdivision
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	map.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	862.9 KB
ID:	389015  
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 11:51 AM   #8

Not next to me, not sure we are compatible

Lol
AZstavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 12:08 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
There are many Communities with Rv Port homes or ownership parks that allow Large casitas. AZ and Fl are full of them. Location? Many are HOA controlled which is a big negative to many. The advantage is many have gated entrances for the security you specify. We are in one near Orlando that I can leave without fear of problems, with security. The hoa also insures nobody piles junk in their yard or lets the port become covered in mold etc. Unfortunately It also means you can't park or build whatever whatever you want on your property. It must be consistent with the community rules The price you pay.
Of course you can buy your own stand alone property. My Sister and BIL have a place outside Dallas. they built a Garage/workshop with a bathroom and a covered area outside for their trailer. Plan to possibly build a small (1000 sq ft ) home/apartment next to it eventually.
Google up barndominum , Garage dominium, RV port homes or just plain rv lots. in the area that most interests you.
Our community has anything from a paver lot and storage building to those adding up to a 1500 Sqft home. What area are you thinking of this Home Base ? that's a good place to start searching.
Old 03-27-2023, 12:59 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
I've thought about a Garagedominium. They are getting more and more popular and I believe there are even communities of them starting up.
https://metalbuildinghomes.org/garagedominium/
https://www.barndominiumlife.com/garagedominium/
very similar to ours
garage is in front with a small apartment in the back

2 stories

and a big garage for bus and man cave or tools or ????

our community has deed restrictions, but they are easy on RV homes
we are in north east texas on lake fork ish
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20191006_151338.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	330.8 KB
ID:	389024   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220104_174904.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	357.9 KB
ID:	389025  

Name:	2018 remodel.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	389026   Click image for larger version

Name:	ac install (17).jpg
Views:	21
Size:	228.8 KB
ID:	389027  

Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 01:15 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Take a look, this is in Mission, Texas:

https://www.bentsenpalm.com/master-p...etama-village/
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 01:31 PM   #12

Pick your location and perhaps we can help you better.

There are many such places. Or... just do a Google for different areas specifying a RV garage.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 02:16 PM   #13

Location and price you are looking to spend?
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 03:26 PM   #14

I really appreciate all the great suggestions. We currently live in the panhandle of Florida. We have lived all over the state of Florida during the last 15 years. Did the HOA thing which forced us to park the motor home in various storage facilities for almost $4K a year!! We lived in a RV community in Polk City Florida that consisted of mobile homes with an attached RV Port. Not a fan of mobile homes and hurricanes.

We are trying to stay on the east coast. Other than Florida the choices for RV friendly is very limited. May have to go rural with possibly a RV Barndominium.

Thanks again for all guidance.
Our20th is offline   Reply With Quote