Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2017, 12:45 PM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
What i thought was "dry" wood from a campground in Decatur, AL turned out to be soaking wet. Took it with us when we headed further south only to find a puddle in the basement. Left it behind at a National Wildlife Preserve for what appeared to be full times next door. $20.00 down the drain. 🚍🤠
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2017, 12:48 PM   #58

When I leave wood behind I expect it to be used by the next person to use the space I vacated. It's kind of like a golf course driving range. People leave some balls behind but they aren't meant for one person to claim them all. Reminds me of the Costco people who go there just to eat the free samples rather than buying lunch.

Since there seems to an abundance of people here who think they have a right to collect all the wood in the park and keep it for themselves, I won't be leaving any wood behind for them. I would rather give the wood to campers in need rather than someone in an expensive diesel pusher who is too cheap to buy what he needs.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:49 PM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
👍🚍🤠
Old 09-03-2017, 02:42 PM   #60

Sunday check out,, time to scout for fire wood leftovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
That's because it isn't against any law.

Choose a state.
This is washington.
https://www.dontmovefirewood.org/map/washington/
Give a hoot. Don't polute trees either
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 02:59 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
When I leave wood behind I expect it to be used by the next person to use the space I vacated. It's kind of like a golf course driving range. People leave some balls behind but they aren't meant for one person to claim them all. Reminds me of the Costco people who go there just to eat the free samples rather than buying lunch.

Since there seems to an abundance of people here who think they have a right to collect all the wood in the park and keep it for themselves, I won't be leaving any wood behind for them. I would rather give the wood to campers in need rather than someone in an expensive diesel pusher who is too cheap to buy what he needs.
How do you know who uses the wood you left behind? Aren't you long gone?
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 03:01 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Unless I missed it, no one mentioned that it is against the law in some places to transport firewood around in the RV.
Actually, it MAY be against the law, depending on whether you are in or near a quarantine area, and what the wood consists of.

For us, not wanting to be part of the spread of the Emerald Ash borer, or similar critters, we don't transport any harvested cut/split wood at all.

We only transport wood left over from housing construction, etc, that has been kiln dried, which we have access to.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, it's legal, safe, and pretty much everyone recognizes that it isn't covered by laws governing untreated, or "raw" firewood. Kiln dried wood is generally heated to 176 degrees F (for hardwood) or 239 degrees F for softwood. Since we normally only use kiln dried softwoods, I'm pretty sure all the critters are dead!

If we are in error on this, please let us know! Never claimed to know everything, and if I did, for some reason my DW would correct me immediately!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:18 PM   #63

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
That's because it isn't against any law.
It is absolutely against the law in many areas. I know many counties prohibit the importation of any wood. Some entire states prohibit it. The emerald ash borer has cause millions upon millions of dollars of damage to logging interests and landowners. I have seen the signs at the borders of states, and many campgrounds show the limitation, identifying the regulation (law) behind it. The pine beetle disaster in the west is not something that can be kept out since it is a native pest. Therefore wood killed by the pine bark beetle is sold as firewood in many places.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:09 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
It is absolutely against the law in many areas. I know many counties prohibit the importation of any wood. Some entire states prohibit it. The emerald ash borer has cause millions upon millions of dollars of damage to logging interests and landowners. I have seen the signs at the borders of states, and many campgrounds show the limitation, identifying the regulation (law) behind it. The pine beetle disaster in the west is not something that can be kept out since it is a native pest. Therefore wood killed by the pine bark beetle is sold as firewood in many places.
So is spitting on the sidewalk illegal in some states.
I cut firewood at my house and also use construction softwood scrap for camping. Most firewood for sale at campgrounds is not seasoned at all and burns lousy.
Never been questioned. Besides, pretty difficult to enforce.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire