RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2020, 12:33 PM   #1

Surge Guard Issue?

Hello all! New guy here at iRV2. I was wondering if anyone has seen this. We have a Dometic Blizzard NXT air conditioner on our trailer. We bought our RV new in 2019. Since then the AC will short cycle. The fan will run but the compressor won't start every time. Sometimes the fan will shut off and start right back up in one second. The last time I counted the fan ran 23 times but the compressor only started three times. When it does, it blows cold air. I took it to two different RV dealers. Neither could find a problem. I began to wonder if it could be related to the only variable I can see. I have had a Surge Guard 44270 that we have used from the beginning. The dealers didn't use it. I removed it and ran the AC. It seems to work much better. Is it possible for the surge guard to restrict some of the power but still let enough through to run everything else? Is there something else I need to look at? Thanks!

Snapcap3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2020, 01:03 PM   #2

If everything works fine without the surge guard then it may be a faulty surge guard. Can you borrow a surge guard from someone and see if everything works fine with the borrowed surge guard? If you still have problems with the borrowed unit than there must be something else wrong because I doubt two different surge guards would be bad.

TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:55 AM   #3

Measure the voltage in the RV

I recommend you measure the voltage inside the RV. You should have 110 volts AC to run your AC. 120 volts would be better. Be sure to turn the AC on when you measure. Monitor the voltage long enough to see changes when fan and compressor try to start or are running.
Run with and without the surge guard. I have never seen an RV air conditioner that monitored input voltage and shut down the compressor for low voltage. However, it is certainly possible.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:00 AM   #4

I looked up your surge protector and found it does not shut down current to the RV for inadequate voltage or bad wiring. It is an entry level surge protector that diagnoses the condition of the the pedestal power and offers surge protection.

As others, I suspect the protector is the issue. However, you never made clear if you checked the LEDs on the protector when you were having the A/C issues. It may be indicating something is amiss. However, the LEDs only monitor incoming power and if the problem is with the outlet cord/socket of the protector, it would not sense it.

If this was my issue, I'd replace the protector with a much more comprehensive device that is a true EMS which does all the things yours does plus monitors incoming power for low voltages and frequency, and cuts power to the RV if there is an issue. Much more expensive, but worth it, IMO.
Ljwt330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 05:13 PM   #5

I ran it today with and without the Surge Guard. There doesn't seem to be that much difference in voltage. Without the guard voltage is 117.5 vac and 109 when fan and compressor are running. With surge 117.5 and 108.6. This is on a 20amp circuit. Compressor seemed to work as it should....baffled
I think the 44270 is supposed to blow when spiked. It's non-repairable.
Old 07-14-2020, 05:33 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

109 VAC is getting really low! My PI HW50C cuts off the power at 108 VAC. Having that low voltage may be affecting the operation of the A/C unit. I would take it somewhere that has around 115 VAC under load and see what happens there.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:48 PM   #7

I agree with Joe, the voltage is approaching a point where an EMS would disconnect the RV from the power supply.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:30 AM   #8

I agree this is low but this is from my barn. Probably not the best test location. On the other hand, the AC problem has followed us to every campground we have been to in the last year and a half. I have an appt. with an independent RV service center for diagnosis. Two RV dealers couldn't find anything but Dometic tech support told me they think something is not right. They advised a repair tech call them and they would go over it together. Thanks for the input folks I'll let you know what they find. Good travels!
Old 07-15-2020, 06:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapcap3 View Post
I ran it today with and without the Surge Guard. There doesn't seem to be that much difference in voltage. Without the guard voltage is 117.5 vac and 109 when fan and compressor are running. With surge 117.5 and 108.6. This is on a 20amp circuit. Compressor seemed to work as it should....baffled
I think the 44270 is supposed to blow when spiked. It's non-repairable.
just to be clear ...
Are you always on a 20amp when having problems? Or did you just plug it in at home for the test?
Old 07-15-2020, 09:14 AM   #10

Quote:
I agree this is low but this is from my barn. Probably not the best test location. On the other hand, the AC problem has followed us to every campground we have been to in the last year and a half. I have an appt. with an independent RV service center for diagnosis. Two RV dealers couldn't find anything but Dometic tech support told me they think something is not right. They advised a repair tech call them and they would go over it together. Thanks for the input folks I'll let you know what they find. Good travels!
This is new information (bold) and does change the overall area of concern.

When diagnosing a problem, the idea is to eliminate the possible area of concern. In your OP, the power source was the main suspect, but your recent post has eliminated that, for the most part. This problem follows you to multiple power sources.

My first question is, where, exactly, are you monitoring the power draw? Are you taking a reading from an AC outlet in the coach? It is important to know the location of the monitoring so you can eliminate anything between the power source and the measurement source.

All the above brings me back to your surge protector. That is the only thing that you carry with you and, without it, you don't have the problem. I'd suggest you replace it with a more robust protector, as mentioned before, or, at the very least, buy or borrow a known good one to see if you can get consistently good results.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:57 PM   #11

Always 30 amp or better at campgrounds. I'm checking at an outlet. I am on a 20 amp circuit only at home. My tests yesterday somewhat ruled out the surge protector. There was only a one volt difference. Not unusual with the additional gear tied inline.
Old 07-15-2020, 03:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Always 30 amp or better at campgrounds. I'm checking at an outlet. I am on a 20 amp circuit only at home. My tests yesterday somewhat ruled out the surge protector. There was only a one volt difference. Not unusual with the additional gear tied inline.
Some questions, if you don't mind, to make some things clearer.

1) You have a 50 amp surge protector, so is it correct to assume your trailer also 50 amp?

2) You mention always 30 amp at CGs, that means you use an adapter between the post and protector. Do you have the issue under those conditions?

3) On 50 amp service, do you have the problem?

4) You have a 50 amp trailer, is the A/C and the outlet you monitor on the same leg of the power?

5) When the A/C is acting up, have you looked at the LEDs on the protector?

6) When operating without the protector, have you ever had the A/C issue?

7) When at a CG and the A/C acts up, have you monitored the voltage during that time? Is it as low as you recorded at home?
Old 07-15-2020, 05:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Some questions, if you don't mind, to make some things clearer.

1) You have a 50 amp surge protector, so is it correct to assume your trailer also 50 amp? 30 amp

2) You mention always 30 amp at CGs, that means you use an adapter between the post and protector. Do you have the issue under those conditions? yes, both 30 and 50

3) On 50 amp service, do you have the problem?

4) You have a 50 amp trailer, is the A/C and the outlet you monitor on the same leg of the power? Not sure what u mean here

5) When the A/C is acting up, have you looked at the LEDs on the protector? No

6) When operating without the protector, have you ever had the A/C issue? I have not tried that at a CG

7) When at a CG and the A/C acts up, have you monitored the voltage during that time? No other than the voltage meter plugged into an outlet. I used a Fluke, in an outlet, for my home testing. Is it as low as you recorded at home?
Not that I remember
Old 07-15-2020, 06:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Not that I remember
Thanks for the answers.

Having a 30 amp trailer, you will be using only one leg of power from a 50 amp outlet, or the only leg from a 30 amp outlet. Since you have a 50 amp protector, you need an adapter to connect your trailer to it, and if youíre at a 30 amp CG, you need another adapter to connect the protector to the pedestal. So, you will always use at least a 30/50 adapter to connect the coach to the protector, and may need a 50/30 adapter to connect the protector to the pedestal.

If Iím incorrect on the above, please let me know.

There is now a new possible culprit, the adapter(s). Without knowing under which plug-in circumstances the problem happens, itís impossible to diagnose. Since youíve not run the trailer without the protector on a 30 or 50 amp circuit, the protector cannot be eliminated as the problem.

The only information, so far, is that there was no issue when the dealer ran the A/C without the protector/adapters, and when you ran it without the protector.

Tags
surge guard