Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2014, 09:12 AM   #1

Surge Protector

We recently purchased our coach and the shore power requires 50amp. This is a lot of power coming into the coach and we are thinking a surge protector for hooking up to shore power might be a good investment. Has anyone experienced power surges at campsites? Thanks, Frank
JustCruising is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2014, 09:18 AM   #2
paz

In addition to protecting against power surges, the surge protectors also protect against other problems like high voltage, low voltage (very common), reverse polarity and missing ground. Although surges do occur, the other things are much more frequent and can cause just as much damage. Reverse polarity and missing ground can be fatal given the right combination of circumstances. Personally, I wouldn't think of having an RV without a surge protector.

BTW, 50 amp power is actually 2 legs of 50 amps, which equals 100 amps total.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:24 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have used 50 amp service for over 10 years and have NEVER experienced a SURGE at any RV Park.

However, I have had lots of places supply lousy voltage, open grounds and neutrals, etc.

There is only one unit that you MUST have for your RV Power protection. It is called Progressive Industries EMS 50 amp unit. It comes in either a portable or hardwired unit.

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/

Then there are handheld testers that will test the power pedestal prior to backing into your RV site. You can find those on the Internet and eBay. They are called Power Pedestal Testers. These are good to save time and trouble prior to hooking your coach up to power. Once you are parked, the Progressive Industries EMS unit takes over to give you 24/7 power protection for your coach.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:29 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a Progressive Industries hard wired protector installed in our motorhome and would not be without it. Before you purchase, check their products and I am sure you will find one that fits your needs. They carry a lifetime warranty and the company is super to deal with.

We have found on several occasions campground pedestals with dropped neutrals, bad grounds or high or low voltage and I believe the Progressive has saved us from expensive repair issues.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:38 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Power protection is a must have, IMO. Not just a surge protector but rather an EMS. I have the Progressive Industries in portable format. Great protection and peace of mind.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:47 AM   #6

I would suggest a surge protector is a must have and though surges are rare they do happen. More importantly the damage caused by faulty wiring at the pedestal is pretty significant. Reversed polarity, missing ground and low voltage are all things I hooked up to in just the last six months but my portable surge protector prevented damage. It is a good investment!
Chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:53 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
A couple years ago we were at the Grand Rally in Forest City. I noticed that the coaches around us had the boxes that protect the electrical from all hazards due to a faulty hookup.
So, I made some inquiries with the folks that had them hooked up and was told some horror stories about their past problems. Thousands of dollars damage.
So after that I stopped at the 1st camping world and bit the bullet and bought one. So now I have the piece of mind that when I hook up I wont wind up with a disaster with electrical malfunction.
Do some reading about these and buy one to have that piece of mind.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:00 AM   #8

We are currently parked at Furnace Creek Ranch in Death Valley. There were 3 power surges (or maybe momentary outages) in the course of about 15 minutes yesterday. We have our surge protector in place.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:01 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Wouldn't leave the driveway without one!!
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:34 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
A good surge guard is really cheap insurance. applying incorrect power to the coach can easily cost you a couple of thousand dollars in repairs to electronics. And yes, there are power problems in camp grounds.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:39 AM   #11

Lots of horror stories out there. Our Progressive Industries unit has sensed a problem a bunch of times. It's really, really cheap insurance. Low voltage, for example, damages air conditioners, but the damage is insidious and you really won't know that you air conditioner's life expectancy has been degraded. The installation is not difficult: the main problem is finding space to mount the unit and then dealing with the stiff 6 gauge wire. But the actual what-wire-goes-to-what-terminal is clearly marked, at least on the Progressive unit. Good luck.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:46 AM   #12

There are many threads in here about the subject...the Search feature works great!

With that said there are different RV Surge Protection devices.

Here is a great comparison of the most popular ones.

We went for the one that offers the best protection in our opinion...Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C Portable Surge Protector 50 Amp
Us out West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:50 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I have a progressive industry surge protector. I would not hook up to a pedestal without one. I've encountered problems twice and the unit saved me. There are too many horror stories, often costing thousands of dollars in repairs, by not having one. It's very cheap insurance.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:36 PM   #14

I'm shocked (pun) that no one has mentioned that while 50amp has two hot wires it is still only 50amp. It is not additive, it is absolute.
Dick Noble is offline   Reply With Quote