Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2017, 10:05 AM   #29

At least part of the issue is geographical. Some places are well known for a lot of lightening and poor soil conduction for grounds. Electricity always goes somewhere.

The problem then becomes switching time and how the setup dissipates power while it is opening relays. Designing a good surge protector is complicated and not cheap. The rest of the power monitoring functions are relatively simple and mostly are done before power is allowed through the unit so relatively easy to do.

We tend not to bother as long as we play where we do. If I was heading some places I would be more inclined to move that way. That said, a line monitor and pulling the shore cord with an approaching electrical storm goes a long way.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2017, 10:09 AM   #30

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just thinking out loud here --
Home base vs park - homes go through licensing and code reviews. Homes typically have 'one owner user' where campgrounds have multiple users per each post. The grounds likely also keep a maintence person on staff of the 'do it all' variety. So if you end up with one who just gets the job done -- I'd suspect you'd have more possible issues.

Timelines -- years ago camping we didn't have all the highly expensive electronic devices we are so tied to now -- Phones, computers, Plus in our units we are also becoming more tied to ac, microwaves, and tvs.

Could we be catching up on odds of damage and payouts?

With regards to wiring correctly-
Maybe I'm in a slightly different section of the campground ⛺️ as I'm in a TT variety. Upon taking my TT and doing my own self inspection of a new unit I checked every outlet plug. It registers reversed wiring when using one power source but registers appropriately wired when switching. (Generator vs power hook up to home base on extension cord).

I'm a newbie to this, so I'm just asking from across the campfire in wonderment... I've never camped so glamorously before lol.
MTSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:10 AM   #31

Transfer switch is just that, a switch, no surge protection. Besides, surge and reverse polarity, brown outs (low voltage) especially in crowded parks can be a problem.

Many people wire surge protectors before the transfer switch on the park side, opinion being that generators rarely have problems, and this is true. It took me the same amount of time to wire after the switch and get protection for both.
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:27 AM   #32

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerdave View Post
Transfer switch is just that, a switch, no surge protection. Besides, surge and reverse polarity, brown outs (low voltage) especially in crowded parks can be a problem.

Many people wire surge protectors before the transfer switch on the park side, opinion being that generators rarely have problems, and this is true. It took me the same amount of time to wire after the switch and get protection for both.
TRC makes a transfer switch with a surge protector.
Surge Guard 50A Automatic Transfer Switch with Limited Protection | Technology Research, LLC

Interesting, no mention of the warranty. Usual TRC warranty is one year, no repair, just replacement within one year. I'd steer clear of their products.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:06 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomertx View Post
Besides the $$$ why would you NOT install a surge protector? What are the downsides? Just curious if anyone has an objection beyond price? For the naysayers is there ANY price you'd pay for one?

Forgot to add . . . many code jurisdictions now require a wired in surge protector at the panel in addition to spark sensitive breakers.

So far, my $300 PI EMS has saved me 7 times in 5 years from floating neutral and low voltage. Neighbors lost air conditioners and much more while I waited for the EMS to see proper power and pass it to my RV.
So the question is, why not pay a little rather than a bunch?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:10 AM   #34

Progressive surge protector has a lifetime warranty! Nice people, if you have questions call, they're always happy to help.

I consider my surge protector cheap insurance, hope it's never needed but will be glad it's there if I do. One time cost and installation, no worries after that.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:10 AM   #35

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
So far, my $300 PI EMS has saved me 7 times in 5 years from floating neutral and low voltage. Neighbors lost air conditioners and much more while I waited for the EMS to see proper power and pass it to my RV.
So the question is, why not pay a little rather than a bunch?
I agree, but I'm afraid there are a lot of folks that driver without insurance, don't want to buy medical coverage, etc. An adult recognizes the risks going unprotected and plan for it.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-04-2017, 03:54 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I agree, but I'm afraid there are a lot of folks that driver without insurance, don't want to buy medical coverage, etc. An adult recognizes the risks going unprotected and plan for it.

True that!
I avoided letting out the magic smoke. One neighbor lost $3500 in appliances and electronics, which delayed his next trip for 7 weeks. In Maine, 2 neighbors lost 2 air conditioners each! I could go on.....
Old 07-04-2017, 04:51 PM   #37

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
We installed a hard wired 50 amp Surge Guard in our 42' Class A three years ago before we hit the road full time. Traveling this great nation of ours. Had one bad pedestal along the way until this week. At our home park for the 4th. 1st, a bad breaker. 2nd, a bad plug. 3rd, 2 days of fluctuating power with low voltage dips. Reset 20 times on Saturday in just 4 hours (yes, it was in the 90's, the park was packed and we are in the "older" part). Glad I have it! We live and I work out of the rig. Protects my computer!!!
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:34 AM   #38

Send a message via Skype™ to Steven Groves
Just had my power transfer switch replaced and ordered a surge protector on the same order.

After reading a few other posts, I then placed the order for the locking box to keep the surge protector attached to the shore power cable - had no thought that people might try to take one vs. getting their own.

Is theft on these devices a big issue in an RV park?
Old 07-06-2017, 06:43 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Groves View Post

Is theft on these devices a big issue in an RV park?

Rare as hens teeth!
Old 07-06-2017, 07:50 AM   #40

I agree it's rare but it does happen. The surge protectors are expensive items and very tempting to less than honest people, which is one of the reasons mine is hard wired inside.

I was staying at a campground in Myrtle Beach SC and just happened to be in the office one morning, three people were in there complaining about having their surge protectors stolen. I suspect the thiefs were not campers but locals sneaking in and looking for an easy take, several other expensive items were taken too. Sad, but it does happen!
Old 07-06-2017, 07:58 AM   #41

Gulf Streamers Club
While theft of an EMS hung on a pedestal may be rare, it's a 100% loss if it happens to you. While I might leave a chair out, I'd not leave an expensive item like an EMS unsecured.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-06-2017, 08:13 AM   #42

This is probably a rare occurrence but our EMS tripped on high voltage 135v, after being on our site for a few months. Notified the park but they said they had no control over it. It drifted back down so we were ok for a few days, then tripped again. The park owner called the local electric supplier who sent out a tech. He checked the supply and said he had to check somewhere else. When he came back, he said he went to the substation that supplies the whole neighborhood, not just the RV park, and found whatever controls the output voltage was stuck at the high limit! They fixed the substation, and all was good again. So I am glad we had our EMS.
donnandon is offline   Reply With Quote