Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2019, 07:30 AM   #15

Daughter was getting married in PA while we were living on our boat in FL. We had just sold the dirt house in NJ.

Needed a place to stay, so found our first MH, at a dealer 10 miles from daughters house. It was a 2000, 30', class C. Bought it in 3 days, back in 2014.

In late 2018, after having put 35,000 miles on the old MH, it was getting tired, we started shopping for a newer one.

Found and bought a 2017 Axis, in Albany NY, in 3 days.

What do they say, " No time like the present "
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2019, 07:48 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliana View Post
How long did you take to make a buying decision? How many times did you change your mind?
We shopped for a Class C MH for 1 year then on impulse bought a fifth wheel RV and truck after seeing the enormous storage and living room available. We spent way more time shopping and gathering info on the Class C than we did the 5th wheel. A year later we had 5th wheel for sale. Never enjoyed maneuvering that rig in tight spots. Did not enjoy traveling in a pickup truck. TBH we should have thought it thru more and saved some $$.

We then decided that a lightly used class A gas coach was better fit for us as snowbirds. We shopped and toured floorplans until we found one that checked a lot of boxes for us. Probably spent 4 months deciding on brand/model.

Then we started tracking numbers. I kept a list of asking prices for that floor plan in a 3 year window. Also charted original msrp minus 28% and a depreciation table to determine a good price number for the year. Shopped prices hard for 2-3 months.

When our coach was posted by dealer on RV Trader I thought it might be miss-priced. It was exactly on my numbers using depreciation off of discounted msrp. But, at the time most listed asking prices on a 1 year old coach were way too high and many times higher than a new coach with properly discounted msrp.

Called dealer, got final price (who does that on the phone - those guys were awesome), put deposit down pending our inspection. Flew 2 states away to inspect/purchase. Had best trip ever making our way back home in our like new coach with 4700 miles.

Time deciding to purchase (over the phone) was less than 10 minutes. Inspection, checkout and acceptance took 4-5 hours, 2 weeks later at dealer. We needed an RV by September for our upcoming 6 month winter in Florida. We bought in May because of the discounted price.

Do your research. Know your numbers. Be patient. Depreciation is a huge deal on RVs so don't be eager to buy too soon. Buying before you have plans to use it and letting sit in driveway cost real money in depreciation.
tarheel21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:23 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to Divingbiker Send a message via Yahoo to Divingbiker
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel21 View Post
We shopped for a Class C MH for 1 year then on impulse bought a fifth wheel RV and truck after seeing the enormous storage and living room available. We spent way more time shopping and gathering info on the Class C than we did the 5th wheel. A year later we had 5th wheel for sale. Never enjoyed maneuvering that rig in tight spots. Did not enjoy traveling in a pickup truck. TBH we should have thought it thru more and saved some $$.

We then decided that a lightly used class A gas coach was better fit for us as snowbirds. We shopped and toured floorplans until we found one that checked a lot of boxes for us. Probably spent 4 months deciding on brand/model.

Then we started tracking numbers. I kept a list of asking prices for that floor plan in a 3 year window. Also charted original msrp minus 28% and a depreciation table to determine a good price number for the year. Shopped prices hard for 2-3 months.

When our coach was posted by dealer on RV Trader I thought it might be miss-priced. It was exactly on my numbers using depreciation off of discounted msrp. But, at the time most listed asking prices on a 1 year old coach were way too high and many times higher than a new coach with properly discounted msrp.

Called dealer, got final price (who does that on the phone - those guys were awesome), put deposit down pending our inspection. Flew 2 states away to inspect/purchase. Had best trip ever making our way back home in our like new coach with 4700 miles.

Time deciding to purchase (over the phone) was less than 10 minutes. Inspection, checkout and acceptance took 4-5 hours, 2 weeks later at dealer. We needed an RV by September for our upcoming 6 month winter in Florida. We bought in May because of the discounted price.

Do your research. Know your numbers. Be patient. Depreciation is a huge deal on RVs so don't be eager to buy too soon. Buying before you have plans to use it and letting sit in driveway cost real money in depreciation.
GREAT ADVISE from Tarheel21!
Although he bought pretty quickly, its apparent this guy did his research. I guess this makes the point that the actual buying time isn't near as important as the research ahead of time.
Divingbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:25 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel21 View Post

I think we all hope to buy the right one the first time but it is really not possible to know what you will need until you get out there and live the life to know for sure. Thanks for your valuable insight
Juliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:25 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingbiker View Post
GREAT ADVISE from Tarheel21!
Although he bought pretty quickly, its apparent this guy did his research. I guess this makes the point that the actual buying time isn't near as important as the research ahead of time.

Yes, the research is the best use of time!
Old 10-03-2019, 08:37 AM   #20

We haven't bought yet either. Our research focused on Class C and we've rented a few times with different floorplans to see what works best. Before we make our final decision we are also going to rent a Class A with a similar floorplan and we've already looked at several models at a dealer. Our most recent Class C rental was just a couple weeks ago. We liked this floorplan, but there were things about this particular coach we didn't like. Due to this we'll be more thorough in examining other brands of Class C with this layout. We're still a couple years away from retiring so we're not in a huge rush. By finding out what works or doesn't work through renting we plan to only buy once. We'll either get something new or nearly new and use it about 3 months a year for around 10 years.
Donskiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:50 AM   #21

We've been RVing since the 90s. Started with a tent trailer, moved up to a 24' trailer, with bunks for the kids, then to a class C. By then my oldest had moved away and youngest was in highschool. My wife decided camping wasn't for her and we sold the class C. I'm an amateur astronomer and still liked to go to remote locations to stargaze so we purchased a 13' fiberglass "EGG" trailer for that purpose. After a few years of using that, she decided to try camping again but wanted something small that had a bathroom (EGG trailer did not), so we sold the EGG and bought a Class B. We used that and towed a utility trailer with my Goldwing in the back for a couple years. I've always ridden motorcycles, yet she'd never been a fan of riding, but she said she'd like to try but only if I got a more comfortable bike. I picked up a used Goldwing. Suddenly with the comfort came enjoyment and she was hooked. While she enjoyed camping and riding she still felt the camping part wasn't her thing, so we sold the Class B. A couple years later I talked her into trying again in a class A and we found a '96 Bounder that was in beautiful condition and we continued our camp and ride trips. This combination really clicked with her. I think the issue with camping was the same as riding the bike - comfort. A class A gave her that, and he fell in love with the class A and the the bike.

All this took place between the early 1990s and about 2010. When shopping for our first class A we found we both really liked the looks of the Safari motorhomes, but didn't want to spend that kind of money considering she still wasn't convinced camping was for her. After owning the Bounder for a few years her mindset had completely changed, she now loved the lifestyle so much she suggested that when we retire, we should try full timing at least for a couple years. She shocked me when she said she wanted to take off in the motorhome with only the bike in tow as our "toad." We sold the Goldwing and Purchased a Harley touring bike. With that decision we felt we needed a larger rig so we sold the Bounder. Our decision to make the purchase of our current rig happened suddenly when we were driving down the freeway and spotted a Safari at a dealer next to the freeway. We pulled in, checked it out, and felt it was just what we wanted. That was just before I retired in 2016. We bought the rig and in the three years since, I've been slowly customizing it, making upgrades and generally preparing it for full time life. Not too long ago she realized there was a problem with our plan. She won't drive the motorhome, and can't ride the bike so if anything happened to me on the road or in a remote location, it would be bad. Change in plans again. After some research and calculations I determined the hauling the Harley on the back of the Safari wasn't possible, so I sold it and bought a smaller, lighter bike. She'll lose some comfort, and our rides will be shorter as a result, but well still be able to enjoy exploring new roads on a bike. We'll now tow her CRV and as I wright this, the Safari in in the shop having a lift installed for the new bike. She her last day is the 31st of this month, in the spring the house goes up for sale and off we go.

I guess the moral of my story is buying the decision making really depends on your plans, needs, and of course most importantly, your budget. Although the decision to purchase our current coach happened suddenly, it was a long evolution that brought us to this point. Owning this particular coach was, for a long time, just a pipe dream, but life took us in that direction and here we are.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:30 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Didn't take more than 4 months or so. I was leaning heavily toward class c's. I was use to the truck engine and drive train. I liked having the hood and frame out in front. I was still open minded however and we looked at a couple of class a's. In the end we found one in the classified ads of the local paper...it was perfect. A Tioga 24-D which we also used to tow our boat up to the lake. We kept it for about 5 years 'till we upgraded to a 31-M Jamboree. They were both good motorhomes with very little trouble.
Old 10-03-2019, 04:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donskiman View Post
We haven't bought yet either. Our research focused on Class C and we've rented a few times with different floorplans to see what works best. Before we make our final decision we are also going to rent a Class A with a similar floorplan and we've already looked at several models at a dealer. Our most recent Class C rental was just a couple weeks ago. We liked this floorplan, but there were things about this particular coach we didn't like. Due to this we'll be more thorough in examining other brands of Class C with this layout. We're still a couple years away from retiring so we're not in a huge rush. By finding out what works or doesn't work through renting we plan to only buy once. We'll either get something new or nearly new and use it about 3 months a year for around 10 years.

I would like to find something to rent first but don’t see many sprinter chassis 25 footers for rent near me in AZ. I don’t see the value in renting something we aren’t interested in but we will keep an eye out. We are not in a hurry yet
Old 10-03-2019, 10:46 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliana View Post
I would like to find something to rent first but don’t see many sprinter chassis 25 footers for rent near me in AZ. I don’t see the value in renting something we aren’t interested in but we will keep an eye out. We are not in a hurry yet
I agree it doesn't make sense to rent something you aren't interested in. Our last 2 rentals were to try out specific Class C floorplans we were interested in. Our next rental will be a Class A with the floorplan we think we want. None of these will be the brand we will probably buy, but the floorplans across various brands tend to be very similar. What's different is the quality. We will be renting through Outdoorsy next time. Have you looked there or RV Share? A quick search for Arizona shows several sprinter models available.
Donskiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 09:40 AM   #25

We looked for 5 years before we bought. Didn't lose a penny on trade-ups. We wanted to buy our last Coach first, and it has worked out nicely for us.

About 1 year after the purchase, we sat down and discussed what we would do differently. The answer was nothing significant.
After 2 1/2 years, with the last 16 months full time, we are very happy with our purchase and the freedom it affords us to explore where and when we want to. -Paul
Old 10-05-2019, 04:00 PM   #26

The first motorhome, the Travco, was given to us by my parents after dad got tired of fixing it (it had ~140,000 miles on it and was close to 20 years old).

After I got tired of fixing it, in '89 (no Internet), in less than a month, we looked at every dealer within 100 miles and finally bought the Suncruiser from the dealer 2 miles from home.

After we gave the Suncruiser to a homeless vet and family, 4 months later we rented a 30' CruiseAmerica for 10 days, and 5 months after that, looked on-line for about 3 days, went to the dealer, test drove the preowned Sunstar, put our deposit down, and took delivery a week later.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:48 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donskiman View Post
I agree it doesn't make sense to rent something you aren't interested in. Our last 2 rentals were to try out specific Class C floorplans we were interested in. Our next rental will be a Class A with the floorplan we think we want. None of these will be the brand we will probably buy, but the floorplans across various brands tend to be very similar. What's different is the quality. We will be renting through Outdoorsy next time. Have you looked there or RV Share? A quick search for Arizona shows several sprinter models available.

Good point about renting the floor plan not necessarily the manufacturer
Old 10-06-2019, 10:49 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOweather View Post
The first motorhome, the Travco, was given to us by my parents after dad got tired of fixing it (it had ~140,000 miles on it and was close to 20 years old).

After I got tired of fixing it, in '89 (no Internet), in less than a month, we looked at every dealer within 100 miles and finally bought the Suncruiser from the dealer 2 miles from home.

After we gave the Suncruiser to a homeless vet and family, 4 months later we rented a 30' CruiseAmerica for 10 days, and 5 months after that, looked on-line for about 3 days, went to the dealer, test drove the preowned Sunstar, put our deposit down, and took delivery a week later.

How awesome that you helped a homeless vet

Tags
buying