Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2011, 01:23 AM   #1

Question SUV plus TENT

I want to go back on the road now, and only have a medium size 2004 TOYOTA HIGHLANDER SUV. I traded in my pickup after a bad accident destroyed the camper that was on top.
Now, being a widower and 76, no $$$ to waste, I want to learn more about camping with an SUV & attached (or not) tent. Is it possible to use campground electric hookup sites with this arrangement? I would like more than basic camping now, meaning light, heat/cooling and think it would be possible to outfit the SUV/Tent with basic amenities, although needing campground power.

Has anyone done this or, on your travels, seen recent successful RV/Campers at campgrounds with this type of setup?
Oh, I'm not interested in a trailer which, along with financial considerations, is reason I'm looking into this.
Thanks!
Georgew is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2011, 07:00 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
We have operated an RV park for 8 years. I can tell you that all parks are different. Some don't allow tenting, some allow tenting in specific areas only, and some have no restrictions. Electric may or may not be available in the tenting areas. You certainly can have many happy travels in your proposed set up, just research the areas your planning on staying first to see what's allowed.
SteveR161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:22 AM   #3

Hi Georgew, I also have an SUV tho it is primarily used as my tow vehicle (I have a travel trailer) but I also purchased a tent which can be attatched to rear hatch of SUV or used separately. Have set tent up 1x just to see how it would work but have never actually used it for camping.

I don't quite know how one would provide cooling (ac) with this kind of set-up but a heavy duty extension cord would be able to give you heat/light from campground hookup.

This set-up would allow me to sleep in SUV - I also purchased an SUV sized air mattress - or use the tent for sleeping. I would much prefer the amenities my travel trailer provides to tent/SUV camping. Had brought tent & air mattress along on a cross-country trip for emergency use but never used either.

Hope this helps in some way. Good luck & Happy Camping ! Jodann
jodann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:44 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Maybe a used small pop-up would be better if you could swing it. That way you can plug in and have heat, light, refrigeration and air conditioning(if you want it).
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:09 PM   #5

I have a standie teardrop, but have camped off and on for several years with a cabin tent. I always got electric sites because I use electic items, such as my laptop, tacky lights, pump for queen airbed, fan/heater, etc.

I've seen tents that have an air-conditioner zipped into a side door. It sits on blocks or wood. There's actually a kit that can be purchased wherein you cut the tent fabric and install the included kit that provides a sealed opening for the AC unit. I can't recall the name of it, though.

Ever considered a teardrop trailer? Many are pricey, but can include AC. You can attach a side tent as well.
Sporting Shopper: Teardrop travel trailer - ST Louis

Teardrop Trailer Camper - Chattanooga
bakerkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:10 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Is your Highlander a 4 banger or a V-6?
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, heat, hookups, suv, tent