Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2021, 06:37 PM   #15

So does this mean that my Duel detector hard wired 8" off the floor is only going to pick up a lp leak and not a carbon monoxide leak?
Just Go to show yah forest river don't even know the products there installing, no suprise there.
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2021, 06:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D. View Post
general consensus is mount on the ceiling, thats where i've seen most of them. the one in my home is on the wall about mid way, and that is applicable.
Jay D.
CO and Smoke work best when mounted 1 foot below ceiling line

CO/LP combo units...is an oxymoron
LP needs to be Low/at floor level
CO should be above ones head
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:32 PM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
CO and Smoke work best when mounted 1 foot below ceiling line

CO/LP combo units...is an oxymoron
LP needs to be Low/at floor level
CO should be above ones head
Yes my combo unit is mounted 3 or 4 inches off the floor next to our bed. I'm going to replace it but I still think I'm going to put a switch on it. The hallway light switch is right above it, so I'll mount the switch next to it. We use the hallway light all the time, so it will be in a spot where will be reminded.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:41 AM   #18

I thought I would look this up and this info is according to UL. I also looked up LP for sake of argument to be sure we all have the correct info. LP is 1.55 times heavier than air. According to what I have read and looked up this is the statement related to LP detection.
Since propane is heavier than air, propane detectors should be placed no higher than the pillows on your bed, and generally lower than that if possible.

Where Should I Place a Carbon Monoxide Detector?

Because carbon monoxide is slightly lighter than air and also because it may be found with warm, rising air, detectors should be placed on a wall about 5 feet above the floor. The detector may be placed on the ceiling. Do not place the detector right next to or over a fireplace or flame-producing appliance. Keep the detector out of the way of pets and children. Each floor needs a separate detector. If you are getting a single carbon monoxide detector, place it near the sleeping area and make certain the alarm is loud enough to wake you up.

From the Underwriter's Laboratory (http://www.ul.com/consumers/co.html):

I just thought I would share this to reinforce what has been stated in the post.

OP I think you gave a defective detector and would recommend replacing it.
Old 08-03-2021, 12:31 AM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
For the follow up. I replaced the detector and have not had any issues with false alarms. So the old one must have been bad. And no I didn't add a switch to it.

But my wife is still telling the fart story So I'm still a legend amongst our friends.
Old 08-03-2021, 02:29 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
But my wife is still telling the fart story So I'm still a legend amongst our friends.
Hang in there...the 'story' will too dissipate.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 05:58 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
Hang in there...the 'story' will too dissipate.

If your wife is like my wife, that story will Never die!

Tim

Tags
gas, switch