Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2018, 06:25 PM   #15

Swivel Trailer, Foley, AL $1,200 Face Book Marketplace.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2018, 07:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Swivel Trailer, Foley, AL $1,200 Face Book Marketplace.
$1275, she raised the price cause she added the trailer jacks. In case you're wondering.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:15 PM   #17

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seon View Post
I'd be interested in just buying the single wheel assembly then fabricating my own trailer frame. Anyone know a source?
I saw this one on Craigslist

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/c...503374831.html
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:34 AM   #18

Can someone explain what happens to the swivel axle/wheel when driving across a large steep dip like we see at gas stations? Looks like a lot of damage could be done to the deck and frame, not to mention the motorcycle or cart on the deck.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:21 PM   #19

The Swivel trailer is connected to the camper or hitch with 2 pins which allows the trailer to pivot up and down with any road surface. It's even advertised that the trailer could be stood up in the air and carried vertically, but at 450lbs would not be easy to lift it to that position.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
Can someone explain what happens to the swivel axle/wheel when driving across a large steep dip like we see at gas stations? Looks like a lot of damage could be done to the deck and frame, not to mention the motorcycle or cart on the deck.
Smart Trailer uses two 1 and 7/8" balls 30 inches apart. The trailer articulation vertically is the same as with any other trailer and a single ball. The trailer deck remains horizontally level with the trailer balls. The tires are C load rated and last for about 4,000 miles. Max rated speed is about 55 mph although many drive faster. I have towed a BT-100 for 188,000 miles.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:54 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
The Swivel trailer is connected to the camper or hitch with 2 pins which allows the trailer to pivot up and down with any road surface. It's even advertised that the trailer could be stood up in the air and carried vertically, but at 450lbs would not be easy to lift it to that position.
The first time I saw one of these was at Myrtle Beach SP this week. I tried to catch the guy but him and his Navion would sneak out when I was not looking. So I have not had a chance to see a Swivel trailer up close....so forgive the questions........

So are they all attached to the coach or MH via receiver balls, or a straight receiver tube(s) like a Hitch Hauler? I was thinking they were overgrown Hitch Haulers and the swivel tires only took a portion of the weight.

Beau388, ok if they use trailer balls I understand, if not and if there is a hinge I guess you have to be careful of how close the item is that is lashed to the deck then?

And if it uses trailer balls then it becomes a trailer and the entire load is on the swivel tires?

The reason I am asking is that my Motor weighs around 500lbs. I can build or buy a VersaHauler to carry the bike, but I don't like the idea of adding that much weight to the tail so I am considering building a Swivel trailer instead.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:13 PM   #22

It looks like they can be either:

Old 03-25-2018, 09:54 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you all for your input.
I researched this to death and decided that Smart Trailer had the best swivel type trailer product, just my opinion of course .
What I needed would have been around $3,000 shipped.

I then went and looked at utility trailers and found a Texas Bragg 5' x 10' tilt bed trailer for $945.00 and purchased it.
I know the difference is like comparing apples to oranges but several things led to my decision .

First was price, second was small tire speed rating (65mph). I feel much better with the 15" trailer radials on the utility trailer.
Third was the fact that the Smart Trailer is kind of a one trick pony.
I believe that the utility trailer will serve several more purposes for me than simply hauling our golf cart behind our 30' class A rv.
Things like hauling my zero turn mower or other large items will be easier to accomplish with the utility trailer.

With that said I would love to own the Smart Trailer since it would be a cinch to back up I just couldn't justify the price.
petewolff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer