Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2022, 02:36 PM   #15

Cary a can of wasp nest spray and learn to throw rocks. You'd be amazed what wasp spray will do to an aggressor, human or otherwise.
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2022, 02:45 PM   #16
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Thread Reminder

Several posts have been removed as being off topic about use of weapons. The topic is regulations for transporting, not use.

Thank you to those posting within the rules.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply
Old 02-25-2022, 10:35 AM   #17

Guys...I'm not going to break the law. That's why I am asking. I have never made the trip before and was simply seeking advice from those who have...to see if there was paperwork or permits that would allow guns for travelers.
As an example...I take boats to the Bahamas. I am allowed to keep my guns in there country if I keep them under lock and key and declare them at customs.
So...if there isn't a way to take a handgun, rifle or shotgun on the Alcan...then I will have to be without one for the remaining time spent in the US. But as a newbie...I thought it was a valid question.
Homeby5 is offline   Reply
Old 02-25-2022, 10:58 AM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rifle and shotgun, if barrel is longer than 18" and magazine capacity is limited (5 rounds?) - and generally classified as non-restricted is fine but you do need to find out what the requirements are. Handguns (restricted), as stated, a general no-no (unless you are going for a bona fide competition). The only two professions (other than police/military and some others such as some on-duty security guards) who could carry handguns were mining prospectors and timber cruisers. Not sure what current laws are.

What you are absolutely forbidden to possess are prohibited weapons which include fully-automatics, those that can hold high-capacity magazines (namely ones of military design/intended use, and short barrels (<18")/stocks ("sawn off").

This should tell you all

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/iefw-iefa-eng.html

Old 02-25-2022, 11:16 AM   #19

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeby5 View Post
Guys...I'm not going to break the law. That's why I am asking. I have never made the trip before and was simply seeking advice from those who have...to see if there was paperwork or permits that would allow guns for travelers.
As an example...I take boats to the Bahamas. I am allowed to keep my guns in there country if I keep them under lock and key and declare them at customs.
So...if there isn't a way to take a handgun, rifle or shotgun on the Alcan...then I will have to be without one for the remaining time spent in the US. But as a newbie...I thought it was a valid question.

At least on my part and possibly other posters, sometimes my answers are written for both the OP plus other readers who may be following the thread now or in the future. I wish my comments not to be taken wrong. But in forums it is very easy to misunderstand a poster's intent.

The trip through much of Canada is just as pretty as Alaska and my advise is not to rush too fast through Canada to get to Alaska. Smell the roses along the way. I found nearly all Canadians to be very friendly and helpful. I came across only one individual I would have considered grumpy, maybe just a bad day for him.

The drive up the AlCan is an adventure in itself. Get a copy of Milepost, drive on the top half of your fuel tank and sloooow down for the frost heaves. Otherwise they will rock you pretty good.

Enjoy your trip and be safe.....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply
Old 02-25-2022, 11:27 AM   #20

So sorry some people have bene snarky about this. This is a really important topic.
The link posted earlier:
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cf...rticles_id=695

Seems to be an excellent resource.

Personally, I would have it shipped just to be on the safe side.
Old 02-25-2022, 11:43 AM   #21

The OP asked a good question and I think it has been answered.
He wants to obey the rules here in Canada. Thank you sir.

Every year it seems we hear of someone trying to bring a weapon in without declaring it. Usually in a coach. The result is that the coach is seized and the owner arrested. All kinds of bad things happen.

As Old Biscuit has posted the rules. Please read and follow.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply
Old 02-25-2022, 01:12 PM   #22

Understand the OP wants to follow the rules - perfect. Canada has some very restrictive laws around hand gun possession and importation.

For anyone else reading, understand that looking for firearms is very high on the list of things border agents are tasked to do and while they certainly don't get them all they do find large numbers. Ignorance of Canadian laws on gun ownership does not get you very far when they find one and the fact that you are in transit to Alaska would be irrelevant.

Even as a Canadian returning to Canada from the US in an RV I get asked if there are firearms on board - every time.

I went to school with an ex CBA officer and his stories of Americans coming across the border in RV's with hand guns in hidden compartments were memorable.
Old 02-25-2022, 05:08 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
Cary a can of wasp nest spray and learn to throw rocks. You'd be amazed what wasp spray will do to an aggressor, human or otherwise.
You might want to reconsider spreading this trashy internet myth around as a means of self defense. There is nothing in wasp spray that affects mammals other than the annoying spray itself, which will only aggravate an attacker, human or otherwise. I can share precautionary tale of someone trying it on a mugger only to have the can taken away and then beaten with it. Bear spray or pepper spray are the correct non-lethal sprays to carry.
joshjack is offline   Reply
Old 02-25-2022, 05:37 PM   #24

Bear Spray

Mace or pepper spray for humans not allowed. However- those big cans for bears are. As far as I was able to determine.
vermontcc is offline   Reply
Old 02-25-2022, 05:42 PM   #25

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontcc View Post
Mace or pepper spray for humans not allowed. However- those big cans for bears are. As far as I was able to determine.

You're correct.

Old 02-25-2022, 05:43 PM   #26
Community Administrator

The topic has long ago been addressed and now has gone off in many other directions. It’s time to move on. Thanks to all who responded to the original topic.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
alaska