Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2010, 09:57 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
I recently installed a Splendide 2000 in a 2000 38' Dutch Star.

Here is what I found: The unit would not fit through the doorway, even with the door unhooked so it would swing 180 degs open. Even at 180 degs the door would not clear the door opening enough to allow the unit to fit through. Newer MH's may have a wider doorway, however. But there are still steps and turns that will be difficult with a heavy, awkward load.

Fortunitely, I have a second driver-side door that is wide enough. So I removed the drivers seat and used a lift truck to raise it high enough to slide it in through the door. I used heavy cardboard under the W/D so that it would slide easily over the carpeting. I actually pulled the cardboard with the W/D on the cardboard. The W/D was heavy enough so that the cardboard would not pull out from under the unit.

I also purchased a set of Forearm Lifting straps just in case I had to move it through the very narrow interior doorways. Forearm Forklift - Forearm Forklift - 370-556 - Home Depot Canada. As it turned out, I didnt have enough room in the area where I needed a second set of hands, to be able to get two people in position... so I just borrowed my big, young neighbor and had him lift it into place.

Moving the W/D over the carpet, and kitchen wood flooring, and manuvering it in the tight places in the bathroom worked very well on the cardboard.

What I did, and I would strongly suggest, is make a mockup of the W/D out of cardboard (length, width, height) and check to see if it will fit through the doorways... before you decide to remove (or install). If I had not done that, I would have been in big trouble trying to get it through the main passenger door. It was so close to fitting through that we probably would have had it stuck half in an half out. The weight was such that one could not have manuvered it properly to get it through.

My friends almost had me convinced to remove a window and try it that way, until I used my mockup a showed them that we would have to lay it on its side and then squeeze it through with two big guys on the outside and two big guys on the inside, which we didnt have... I then used my mockup to show how easily it would fit through the driver-side door.

I think if was me, I would leave the W/D installed for resell value and use it as a dirty close hamper, or a kennel for the dog, or wine cellar, anything to keep it.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!