Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2015, 08:24 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to RW8804
People who go to Australia or New Zealand to motorhome around often buy a unit there (usually a used unit). Then they sell it when leaving to another overseas visitor. It's cost effective, deals with power issues and takes size of motorhome (and related fuel consumption) into account.

I've had friends who did this with cars on extended European trips, and in the end it cost almost nothing, that is, they sold the car for close to what they paid for it.

I'd want a local motorhome, simply for the ease of getting parts servicing it.
RW8804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2015, 08:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentor View Post
Wondering if anyone knows about taking their coach to Europe, transporting it, insuring it etc while there. I'm seriously considering doing this for a few years if not permanently.
I've been looking into it but info is scarce so far.
i know i done this an i am traveling europe with my 29 foot four winds
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	foto.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	391.6 KB
ID:	92964  
cees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
The problem with motorhomes is fuel mileage. I checked the other day, and gasoline around Frankfurt was the equivalent to $5.69 per U.S. gallon.
When we were in Italy 3 years ago, gasoline was just over $9.00 a U.S. gallon.
They use very small Class C motorhomes over there with very low horsepower diesel engines.

To answer your question: You can transport vehicles back and forth to Europe out of New York and New Jersey. You can find car transport agencies on Google. We ahd a friend living in Belgium transport his Lexus over there and he kept his Memphis license plate.

mmm
i drive LPG 0.34 cents a liter
Old 04-30-2015, 09:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
I can't imagine what it would cost to transport a 45' RV from a US port to Europe. And how, what kind of ship...salt air exposure...lot of negatives come to mind, but so much to see if you could stay over there for six months or so. That said, I have to believe that it would be more cost effective (and easier) to rent a smaller unit for several months, as I have to believe that it would cost five figures easily to transport. I know it was multiple 4 figures to transport cars to Europe when I was in the military and had an overseas tour.

paid $2000 for a 29 foot no salt issue or anything else went very very smooth
Old 04-30-2015, 09:02 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
There are differing standards for vehicle lighting that may well require some mods to an American-made RV. You have to conform to whatever the regs are in the country you import it to and register/title it. After that, you can generally drive it around the EU without further mods - sort of a reciprocal OK, just like the US states do for each other.
No not import just drive your USA license plate no cost at all
Old 04-30-2015, 09:05 AM   #20

Quote:
Thanks for the link, it will be good reading. I have already sourced a 5000 watt step down unit which will fit very nicely in my rig.

Well you have no issue al works fine include the Hz , slough mine does airco, microwave , etc
Old 04-30-2015, 09:09 AM   #21

Quote:
Wondering if anyone knows about taking their coach to Europe, transporting it, insuring it etc while there. I'm seriously considering doing this for a few years if not permanently.
I've been looking into it but info is scarce so far.
insurance no problem
about 1000 euro a year
Old 04-30-2015, 09:53 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cees View Post
insurance no problem
about 1000 euro a year
who are you getting insurance from? I use OneDirect for my car but they will not do my coach.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:08 AM   #23

The older Brits and Irish don't consider their countries to be part of Europe. There was a headline in the Dail Telegraph back in the 1950s that read "Fog in Channel - Europe Isolated".

I wish you all the best in your adventures. You have obviously done a lot of homework and are familiar with the issues.

I remember, a couple of years ago, a poster either on here or RV.net took a 42' DP over to the UK, then toured France, Spain, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Portugal and Italy. Haven't seen any posts from him for some time.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:17 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's a 2005 book that might prove useful: Take Your RV To Europe: The Low-Cost Route To Long-Term Touring: Ron Milavsky, Adelle Milavsky: 9781887140546: Amazon.com: Books

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:29 AM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
I can't imagine what it would cost to transport a 45' RV from a US port to Europe....
Depending on if you have international shipping "connections" or not it's not that bad, anywhere from $500.00, (for someone having to do paperwork), to $6,000.00, (paperwork, fuel costs, and some profit for all involved).

If you are not going to sell, and just plan to use the motorhome much of the scary import/export red-tape does not apply.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:49 AM   #26

Quote:
My wife is an Irish National, we had a home there but sold it in '07 and she is actually there now looking for another, we also currently own a car there and will be having our pensions direct deposited to our BOI account and so residency is not a problem but I do know it is very expensive for non residents to get auto insurance however if you retire to an EU country that changes everything, they then welcome you and your money. We would be much better off tax wise living and traveling over there.
'

That just leaves you with the problem of deciding where to spend your winters - learn French and go to Morocco, or Spanish and spend it in Spain
Old 04-30-2015, 10:52 AM   #27

Just ordered this, thanks for the link as I am sure this will be most helpfull
Old 04-30-2015, 10:54 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
'

That just leaves you with the problem of deciding where to spend your winters - learn French and go to Morocco, or Spanish and spend it in Spain
Kinda have my eye on a private spot near Salou, Espana

Un poco tengo mi ojo en un lugar privado , cerca de Salou , España