Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2015, 04:20 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
No doubt Up_North. It does appear, however; that there are some that are scared of or dislike the sounds of nature. Start the generator, turn on the outdoor TV, crank up the volume, turn all the outside lights on, and start screaming at each other over the TV. Maybe it's just a form of keeping the bears away...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2015, 04:29 PM   #16

"Tree-huggers" unite--someday we will all be driving solar-powered RVs but for now, there are some basic laws of nature that have to be overcome. Besides the $4k that seems like a lot to spend for the capability you are going to get, you also need to understand how power production and useage have to be in balance if the system you buy is going to work for you.
True--2-3 hours, twice a day, is about right for the Class A/DP rig--that is if you are going to live pretty much like you do at home, eg, electric frig, lights, TV, and modest heating [propane source/electric fan]. If you plan on a more "spartan" life-style, your genset requirements will be much less--eg, less "droning."
Agree that information and advice on this forum can be confusing for beginners--like me. I believe there are a lot inexpensive solutions to be had if you listen to some of the experts mentioned on this foum and build something from recommended components. On the other hand, it will be a pretty safe bet that if you buy a package deal, you will get less capability and pay more for it. Keep us posted on your progress--us beginners need to know....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:36 PM   #17

I will be contacting Nexus to get the manufacturer and model numbers of the components they use in their package system. The impression I get in dealing with Nexus thus far is you can upgrade/downgrade almost anything you want and they will accommodate.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:40 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Another possibility to consider... maybe... Perhaps Nexus would rough in the wiring for you?? You would need to spec what you want but this is, in my opinion, the hardest part of installing solar.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:48 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
"Tree-huggers" unite
Hmm, I suspect that is in response to me enjoying things unspoiled by humans. I'm sure not everyone is the same, that's ok. I doubt any of my friends would use that derogatory term to describe me though.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:06 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
This summer I went with a 100 watt portable (Renogy suitcase type) solar panel. The reason I went portable was when at a campground without electric service, we get a site in the shade (keep RV tt cooler) and set up the solar panel off to the side to catch some sun. Just enough solar to help top charge the battery (one group 29 battery). We did two 4 night stays this summer at non-electric VT. State parks. Worked out very well....The panel came with a 15' cable, but I will upgrade that to a 25'. Cost was $279 delivered from Amazon.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:10 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
Another possibility to consider... maybe... Perhaps Nexus would rough in the wiring for you?? You would need to spec what you want but this is, in my opinion, the hardest part of installing solar.
This is what I plan on having them do for audio/visual systems. I rarely if ever watch tv while camping but I want it all pre wired in the event I want to add on or for resale purposes down the road.
They will install a custom outdoor kitchen to my specs as well.
I really enjoy working with them so far and like the flexibility of customizing.
I have made no firm decisions as I am waiting firm price quotes and if the price is reasonable I will be making a trip to the factory to get the tour and sit down with the production manager to make sure we get all the customizing right.
My guess is if I go solar I will most likely go with the system they offer. It seems adequate for my needs and expectations.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:00 AM   #22

Wow, that option is expensive! I put 200 watts on the roof for $400. I haven't installed an inverter yet, but haven't seen much need for it in 4 years with the fifth wheel. I did upgrade from a single 12v battery to a pair of 6v Trojans, and that was another $260. As I said previously, I would only need TV and DVD player, so a Samlex 300w PSW inverter would be under $200. And I get to buy as I go and not have a 10 year mortgage on it.
Even if you have something similar done by someone else, it should be about half of what Nexus is asking. I'm not really trying to spit in your Cheerios, just suggesting you think about the value of the Nexus option versus DIY or having someone else do it.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:19 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
If money is a factor than I would; (If it's not than you could fly me in and I'll fix you up!)

Install a meter first. This will help you better understand what type of power you use. You will also get to see how your genset, alternator and converter charge your current batteries. Plus it's just cool to see what's happening when you turn on a light or start the engine.

Get more batteries. You may not even need solar to charge them. It all depends on how you're going to use your RV. For example; I have 400 amp/hrs of AGM storage. The only time I really have to use my solar is if I don't plug in for more than a few days.

Install an adequate solar system.

That's how I would do it......just sayin'
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar