Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2019, 11:16 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Spartan Chassis
This is really good advice, and I appreciate it. Yeah, I read a lot today about this (should've researched before posting), and you're right about not being able to offset the gains by buying the next house. Guess I'm SOL on that one. Looks like the only time you can do that is on a 1031 exchange if you sell an investment/rental house. Thanks folks.
Dahai is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2019, 11:20 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
....And for added benefit Publication 523, is a great cure for insomnia....
I read it this evening. You got that right!
Old 03-17-2019, 06:26 AM   #17

I guess if it is too much of a problem I will start a 501c3 and you can contribute 1/2 of what you made on the house to me and you can deduct that amount!

1998 Georgie Boy Swinger/2005 Jeep Liberty
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rjreiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:51 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
I’ve been down the same road and paid the taxes. Somebody has to support the government.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:54 AM   #19

I think the cost to have a CPA review and prepare your taxes would be worth it. A good CPA will not only look at the real estate transaction, but also other non related potential deductions as well such as IRA deductions, HSA deductions, etc. Of course the additional deductions mentioned above depend on your age and possible work status.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:27 AM   #20

Since I built my own home, I wonder how the tax basis is figured...does sweat equity count?...Our plan is to downscale to a new built S&B once the kids are in college. I assumed any profit in the old would be deducted while going into the new. Not sure if the new will exceed the value of the old, but I wouldn't think so.
And, who knows the RV might be somewhere in the middle between sale of the old and CofO of the new. I am pretty sure I'll be "living" in it during new construction

sorry for the thread detour...got me thinking...
Old 03-17-2019, 07:37 AM   #21

Tax implications of selling a sticks & bricks and moving into an RV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Since I built my own home, I wonder how the tax basis is figured...does sweat equity count?...Our plan is to downscale to a new built S&B once the kids are in college. I assumed any profit in the old would be deducted while going into the new. Not sure if the new will exceed the value of the old, but I wouldn't think so.
And, who knows the RV might be somewhere in the middle between sale of the old and CofO of the new. I am pretty sure I'll be "living" in it during new construction

That is a CPA question to get an accurate answer. I once asked my CPA if I can deduct mileage or RV payments in any month I business travel with the RV. The answer was doing so can raise a big red flag especially if the RV payments are way in excess of a normal hotel / motel cost. Based on that answer....don’t want any red flags.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:20 AM   #22

There is a old saying that if someone is paying taxes, then they must be making money. That's not a bad thing!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:22 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Really hate that exemption rule as it's going to cost me. We bought the house 32 years ago, worth far North of what we paid, but my wife died in 2016 so there went half of the 500,000 exemption through no action of mine. Same with standard deduction.
Talk to a tax professional. My wife died 4 months ago. I too was worried about capital gains until my accountant explained that capital gains is calculated on the value of the home when the spouse died, not from when you jointly purchased it. So you will have to figure out what your home was worth at time of your wife's passing. Good luck!

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:26 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post

My guess is that sweat equity does not count. I'm in the same situation, finishing up on a new house now and have done a lot of the work myself. Who knows what it would have cost to have someone do everything I've done. Even if I only count my time at $10/hr it would add up to $$$$. No way to deduct that from the base.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:30 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
There is a old saying that if someone is paying taxes, then they must be making money. That's not a bad thing!

Unless your paying too much tax!

i have another saying.....
Its not much money you have, but how much money you get to keep!
Old 03-17-2019, 02:31 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjreiffer View Post
I guess if it is too much of a problem I will start a 501c3 and you can contribute 1/2 of what you made on the house to me and you can deduct that amount!
Nice try, but I'll have to think about that one.

Tags
cat, sell