Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2022, 04:12 PM   #15

Do you use it to make money? If not , it's not a business write off.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2022, 04:15 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllegroD View Post
I think you mean IRS Pub 936
Thanks! Good catch. Exactly correct and your link works.

Sorry for any confusion. Still, the text that I posted is accurate.

However, be aware that that publication is for tax year 2021. Tax code does change. Best to be sure that the deduction is still valid for 2022 tax year filing.

Take care,
Stu
Old 09-27-2022, 09:59 PM   #17

Part of my retirement plan is running a business that requires travel in the West. That business owns my trucks and will own the TT. Covid had me delay that, but Jan 1 is startup date. his allows me to write off business expenses.
I also have two sons that will retire from Military jobs within the next 5 years, this will give them landing pads. Both like to travel, both are qualified in this business, and both live far enough apart that they won't share clients. But close enough to meet up often. Their part will let them travel during week and teach on weekends. And let them write off travel expenses too.
DR60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 01:41 AM   #18

Yes, if you use your RV to travel as part of your business or your job then you can deduct the expenses, including RV depreciation, campground fees, fuel, etc. You can even deduct meal and incidental expenses.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 02:06 AM   #19

If you travel outside the US for a job and you stay out of the country for 330 days in any 1 year period you can exclude over 100k of earned income. Get IRS pub. 2555.

For deducting domestic travel/ living expenses the GSA publishes a list of standard per diem expenses that you can deduct, depending on where you are. For foreign living expenses the State Department publishes a similar list for foreign countries.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 05:34 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
Taking tax advice from an RV forum might have some hazards.

However, it's been suggested by qualified tax professionals that as long as the RV is security for the loan used to buy it, you can deduct mortgage interest paid on that loan. In the event you decide to move back into a more traditional house, your boat or RV can also be treated as a qualified second home, and the same homeowner deductions apply.

Take care,

Stu

Not exactly true anymore since the feds raise the standard deduction. Unless you financed a million dollar rig and showed no income. Just a opinion.
Old 10-02-2022, 02:50 PM   #21

Solar is 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
If you add solar, you can write it off. It’s a 26% write off this year.
The Inflation Reduction Act, signed into law 8/14/2022 retroactively increased it to a 30% credit for 2022. And no, you cannot write off a motor home, other than potentially mortgage interest and taxes, because you also use it as a residence. There was a major court case on this last year I talked about.

Good luck
Bob
2020 Renegade Valencia owned by my corporation
taxspeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 03:15 PM   #22

I'm sure you can write off your RV/travel expenses for business purposes. If you get audited you better have your ducks in a row. If you've written off $10,000 as a weekly business expense, but you could have satisfied your business requirements with a $1500 hotel and travel expenses good luck. Even if the expenses are similar, one agent might let it slide, the next will want you in jail.
gwill1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 03:16 PM   #23

Following with interest -
I hadn't thought about tax credit for solar. i might look into that further.
In the past I've claimed the RV loan interest as second mortgage. Also, I recall tracking my mileage and expenses when volunteering for Habitat for Humanity and others.
My situation has changed and of course the standard deduction has changed so those options don't benefit much anymore. Tracking and separating the qualified miles from sightseeing miles became more of a pain than it was worth, too.
You may find more info under some of the Workkamping forum threads.
Old 10-02-2022, 03:51 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
No.......its a personal life style choice........nothing about RVing is a write off. Its hard to write anything off for personal use since the standard deduction was doubled.......

You're wrong. If you own a business in [Mod Edit] they demand through

workers comp that as a business owner you MUST provide shade and cooling for outdoor workers. https://www.dir.ca.gov/DIRNews/2022/2022-46.html

So what that means is you can purchase an RV ( which follows the rules demanded mt the state of Ca. ) Then you can "rent" that RV to your own company for the going daily rental rate of an equivalent RV at the most expensive rental place in Ca. around $200.00 a day.

You can also buy an RV as a rental item for (yourname RV Rental) and add your RV to the fleet with RV share.

Therefore you are a legitimate rental business.

Same would go if you set up with AirB&B if you can park your RV at your home and rent it out. Again LEGITIMATE BUSINESS, therefore afforded all the legal tax write-offs allowed.

With all these scenarios you can also rent your own RV from your RV rental business proving nothing you did was for personal use.
kendall69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 03:51 PM   #25

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Jayco Owners Club
I have a good friend who spends a ton of his camping time booking business, so his accountant allows some tax write offs. I know when I camp, as a person contracted with 4 companies, I am on the phone and in my calendar most days. You'd think some of this could be written off. I am going to discuss this with my tax accountant this year. Happy camping.
Marshalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 03:58 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeby5 View Post
Just general discussion...not tax advice.
When you take long trips and live in RV, are there tax write offs that you guys take?
Thanks
. I guess you could deduct the tax portion of fuel expenses. If you use your MH as an office for at least part of the year, I think you could deduct expenses as you would for a home office. You would need to take pictures and somehow prove that you use the rig as an office for your business or job. If, for example, you use 20% of the space on your RV to do your business, you could possibly deduct 20% of the campsite fees, office supplies, postage and UPS/FEDEX, etc. just as you would for a home office. Better consult your tax advisor. I bet that those guys like the Mortons who send out blogs on their travels together with RV advice for a living could give you some help.

Good luck.
Krikati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 04:01 PM   #27

RV tax write off

As a traveling anesthesia provider, I use my RV when I travel to different hospitals or clinics. I document my milage and the cost of the RV park. I find it is easier to have all my supplies in one place. I have been audited and the IRS accepted my information and did not have to pay any extra. Since it is used for business, this has not become a problem.
iowagasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 04:07 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendall69 View Post
You're wrong. If you own a business in [Mod Edit] they demand through

workers comp that as a business owner you MUST provide shade and cooling for outdoor workers. https://www.dir.ca.gov/DIRNews/2022/2022-46.html

So what that means is you can purchase an RV ( which follows the rules demanded mt the state of Ca. ) Then you can "rent" that RV to your own company for the going daily rental rate of an equivalent RV at the most expensive rental place in Ca. around $200.00 a day.

You can also buy an RV as a rental item for (yourname RV Rental) and add your RV to the fleet with RV share.

Therefore you are a legitimate rental business.

Same would go if you set up with AirB&B if you can park your RV at your home and rent it out. Again LEGITIMATE BUSINESS, therefore afforded all the legal tax write-offs allowed.

With all these scenarios you can also rent your own RV from your RV rental business proving nothing you did was for personal use.
I wish everyone would read post #1 good before posting , the OP is just a general traveler enjoying his RV from the post he asked this question, He never asked about putting his RV through a business to get deduction's.
WHY DO PEOPLE TAKE A VERY SIMPLE QUESTION, AND DERAIL IT??
And after 28 post's, the OP has not been back or replied

When I answered the OP, my answer was simple reply to the simple question he asked..........MY GOD PEOPLE!!

QUOTE;

Just general discussion...not tax advice.
When you take long trips and live in RV, are there tax write offs that you guys take?
Thanks