Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2023, 06:53 AM   #1

Question Taxes for Buying a travel trailer in another state

Hello all I am buying a travel trailer in Indiana but live in North Carolina. The dealer is insisting I pay Indiana taxes 7% even though I am paying cash. Is this correct? When I get my tags in North Carolina will sales tax be credited or will I have to pay N C sales tax also? Than you!
Soundgal68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2023, 07:40 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgal68 View Post
Hello all I am buying a travel trailer in Indiana but live in North Carolina. The dealer is insisting I pay Indiana taxes 7% even though I am paying cash. Is this correct? When I get my tags in North Carolina will sales tax be credited or will I have to pay N C sales tax also? Than you!
Is the dealer registering the trailer for you? If they are they'll charge the tax during that process. Alternately you can take delivery with a temporary tag from Indiana and register the TT yourself in NC and pay the tax then.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 07:54 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Quote:
Somewhat similar, when we changed our state of residency from Ohio to South Dakota, we had to show that we paid more than the 4% tax in South Dakota. They credited the amount of taxes we paid in Ohio.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 07:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Honestly you're asking the question in the wrong place. You'll get a lot of opinions and a couple of folks who know what they are talking about.

In the end you need a definitive answer in writing from Indiana and North Carolina. 7% is a good amount of money.
Old 02-05-2023, 08:29 AM   #5

Sales tax is typically paid in the place of delivery. This is one reason I often buy large ticket items in areas with low or no sales tax. You will have to look up how the sales tax works in your state if you pay out of state tax.

In my state, WA, when we register the item, we pay up to the difference in sales tax. Where I live it is currently 7.6%, many places in our state are around 10% now. I buy a lot in ID or OR vs the high tax areas of our state. 2%+ on $50k is a lot of money.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 08:34 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
....You will have to look up how the sales tax works in your state if you pay out of state tax....
Agree. All states are different. I've purchased RVs and boats out of state and had to pay taxes in my home state....and that was two different home states.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 08:44 AM   #7

Some states are recipricol and some are not, call the states and ask them
Old 02-05-2023, 09:17 AM   #8

I believe you will find your answer here on the IN state DOR web site.

Sounds like you only pay your states tax rate not Indiana's rate (which appears to be higher than NC).

Here are a couple of quotes from the FAQ section.

"My customer lives in another state that has a sales tax rate lower than Indiana's 7% sales tax rate. Will the buyer be entitled to a refund for the difference in tax rates?
Motor vehicle dealers (retailers) should collect Indiana sales tax at the rate the buyer would pay in his/her home state. The Indiana dealer must complete and retain a Certificate of Gross Retail or Use Tax Paid on the Purchase of a Motor Vehicle For a Nonresident (ST-108NR) to document this sale. This form includes identifying vehicle information and an affidavit for the purchaser to sign certifying that the vehicle will be transported outside Indiana within 30 days after delivery, and will be titled or registered in another state or country. Although the Indiana dealer will charge sales tax at the other state’s current tax rate, the tax collected is Indiana’s sales tax and must be remitted to DOR."

"I am a RV and/or cargo trailer dealer with a customer who is a non-resident of Indiana. Must I collect Indiana sales tax (7%) if the customer will transport the purchase to his home state for title or registration?
Yes, nonresidents are subject to Indiana sales tax unless they register/title their purchase in a “reciprocal” state within 30 days of purchase. A state is reciprocal with Indiana if the other state allows a sales tax exemption to Indiana residents who purchase a recreational vehicle or cargo trailer in that state (assuming the purchase will be registered or titled in Indiana). No exemption exists for a customer who is registering or titling in a nonreciprocal state or any foreign country.

A purchaser claiming a sales tax exemption must complete an Affidavit of Exemption by a Nonresident of Indiana on the Purchase of a Recreational Vehicle or Cargo Trailer (ST-137RV). The selling dealer must keep this form at its place of business. A legible copy of the form should be sent to DOR for review. Tax must be charged for the nonreciprocal states and all foreign countries, as shown in the below chart.

As of July 1, 2020, when a nonresident intends to register the vehicle in a "nonreciprocal" state, the dealer must collect Indiana sales tax at the rate of the destination state where the vehicle will be registered. These nonreciprocal states are as follows:

Arizona
California
Florida
Hawaii
Kentucky*
Maine*
Massachusetts
Michigan
North Carolina
Rhode Island*
South Carolina
*Cargo trailers only are taxable in these states. RVs are exempt."