Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2019, 09:57 AM   #1

Teladoc ?

Anyone heard of this or used it? I got it in the morning mail from Blue Cross. It claims 24/7 telephone access to a doctor for diagnosis and if necessary prescription treatment of minor medical issues. Sounds like a good deal for those of us on the road. Cost for me is my office visit deductible.Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	271065
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2019, 10:01 AM   #2

It’s basically useless. The kinds of illness they are able to “diagnose” via video chat are basically the ones you probably know how to treat using over the counter meds. Otherwise, they will just send you to see a real doctor for further evaluation.
rent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 11:31 AM   #3

If you could get a prescription for even simple things like a rash or bronchitis, it would be worth a try while traveling.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 11:47 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

It's hard to imagine a doctor diagnosing much of anything without at least getting BP and pulse plus a general look at the patients physical appearance. That suggests a video call and some basic meter equipment. That seems like only the most rudimentary things diagnosed and OTC remedies suggested. A primary care physician doesn't do much more on an office visit, though.

It seems to me a more workable method would be something like urgent care centers, staffed with RNs or PAs to run through a basic work-up and then a video conference with a doctor or senior PA to confirm the diagnosis and suggested actions.

I know that some people aren't comfortable unless they see a doctor, so maybe this fills the bill for them.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 01:57 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Our insurance provider offers the same service. My wife has used and did get a prescription, I don't think there was much of a cost if any.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 05:28 PM   #6

I use it threw my work for colds ect when i need a script for simple stuff
Daverene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 06:13 PM   #7

My father has used it several times while traveling. He gets bronchitis frequently, and sometimes it progresses to pneumonia. Now, when he starts to feel the familiar chest-gurgle, he calls in, and after a quick discussion he runs to the nearest pharmacy (wherever he is) where his antibiotic prescription awaits him.

He says it's a lifesaver. He used to endanger himself because it was a pain to get in to see a strange doc in a strange place, and so he never could start the meds quickly enough to head off trouble.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:38 AM   #8

Thanks for the replies. Looks like it might be a good alternative to finding urgent care centers on the road or even having to beg a next day appointment with my primary for minor medical issues here at home. I don’t get sick very often, but when I do it usually is respiratory and often ends up in bronchitis. Looking again at my plan. The co-pay is $10 vs $20 for an office visit.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:42 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have Kaiser- they've always had this feature. Although I can talk to my doctor, I usually just need a nurse/practitioner. They have access to your health history and can prescribe things from there. This has been great for me and my family. But, Kaiser is only available in Ca, Hawaii, and a couple of other states.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:05 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
It is a pretty common feature in most insurance plans now. Here is a good article on when it is most useful. https://www.consumerreports.org/doct...online-doctor/