Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2020, 03:12 PM   #29

Tell us that after the pinch factor takes over.....esp after the ladder gets a little dirty....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2020, 03:31 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrified View Post
Don't go cheap when your safety is concerned. Why not get the very product it is compared to at very close to the same price. We have this one and it is VERY well made. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Both are made in china.
Westonbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 03:36 PM   #31

I agree, my life is worth the fifty bucks extra.
Jshemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 03:43 PM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
I recently watch a U-tube ladder analysis by a house painter. He would not get on one of those, and demonstrated the amount of bounce and bend in that type of ladder. I use a folding Werner ladder that came from Home Depot. It get me up to the roof to install my weather station every time we relocate, folds as a step ladder to do the windshield, a gets me up to the slide toppers to blow off leaves and acorns when necessary. I weigh 250, it is rated at 300 pounds. The ladder stores easily in a cargo bay slide and you can put items between the steps when stored.
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 04:35 PM   #33

I purchased the TeleSteps brand 12-1/2 foot telescoping ladder back when Camping World had them on sale for a ridiculously low price and carried it in the Class B for several years, but eventually found I was only using it when I was home doing maintenance. I still use it regularly, but keep it in the garage now as space in a Class B is at a premium.

The TeleSteps is a good, solid ladder that albeit relatively heavy, is quite solid and stable to use while remaining very portable... but much more expensive than the HFT version when not on sale. Knowing now what a high-quality telescoping ladder is like, I'd be comfortable assessing the HFT version for purchase. I'd recommend purchasing it, try it out, and return it immediately if a) it cocks to one side while extending, b) fails to latch on either side at same point, c) wobbles side-to-side or front-to-back when extended, or d) flexes more than a fraction of an inch while inclined at 60 degrees while halfway up the ladder. My TeleSteps exhibits NONE of the aforementioned bad traits... it is impressively rock-steady, smoothly extends, locks soundly... and will totally crush your fingers if you're not careful while collapsing it. Okay, so it's not perfect.
DAWg134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 04:40 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj6599 View Post
Anyone use this ladder from Harbor Freight. If so what are your thoughts.

https://www.harborfreight.com/portab...der-56729.html

I like this one better.
Rocket Jock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 04:58 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDOPDLR View Post
X3.

I bought this ladder and it is very solid when extended yet fits will under the bed.

Having had a really bad experience a few years ago, I strongly suggest you not come to ladders.

As for length, measure to the roof of your RV and buy a ladder a couple feet taller.
I bought this ladder https://www.amazon.com/WolfWise-15-5..._t2_B00FX9M8CG

What I like
1) the extension legs that fold out for additional stability
2) Solid feel when on it
3) Ability to raise the lower 2-3 runs when I just need to clean windows
4) The ability to store it in a bin
5) the ability to use it to more easily get to my attached roof ladder when I need to get up and down from the roof.

Be careful up there
Old 10-04-2020, 05:16 PM   #36

X2 for the Little Giant ladders. Close to home i just take a good 4' Werner fiberglass step ladder. Long trips i take a multi fold 12' and rest it against an open slide on the end. I avoid getting on the roof as much as possible. Every year I get older, the urgency of getting on the roof of my 5th wheel gets replaced by dollars spent letting the youngsters do this stuff!
Old 10-04-2020, 05:34 PM   #37

Forest River Owners Club
Not to get off topic, but what do you use at the point where the ladder contacts the coach to protect the coach surface from the ladder?
Texas John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:40 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
You have to watch H.F. on measurements.
This is a 10 foot ladder.
They have 2 10x10 canopys, on is 100 sf of shade, the other is 64 sf. The 64 is 8x8, 10x10 is the bottom of the angled legs.
Very deceptive...
DjDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:46 PM   #39

Search RECONDITIONED TELESCOPING LADDERS and check some of the name brands. Wolfwise, along with several other big name brands, offer ladders with cosmetic blemishes or have been serviced to meet new condition. I purchased mine at roughly 40% off list. Be prepared though, they are not as sturdy as a regular ladder, but for things like cleaning windows are perfectly adequate. Just insure it is on solid ground (I carry a piece of 3/4” plywood with two holes drilled a half inch for the legs to fit along with non-slip tape on the bottom). Remember it’s you body/life on whatever brand you choose. Harbor Freight sells many items I would buy in a heartbeat, a telescoping ladder is not one.
Be safe!
Mrb1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:15 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My coach does not have a ladder attached to get on the roof. I have an aluminum folding multipurpose ladder and used to carry that. But I had to take it apart just to get it into the pass through storage and it was still in the way. Plus it was a little short and would have been risky to get on the roof

I also have an old steel multipurpose ladder. I tried that for a while. It was heavy & awkward. It fit in the pass through storage but it was tight. It was tall enough to get on the roof.

I also could use both of these when I needed a step ladder.

I replaced those with these two: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The purpose of the telescoping ladder is to never use it. I carry it only if I have to get on the roof when away from home. It can be extended to any length. I read lots of reviews and comments for many of these ladders before I picked this one.

The step ladder is the 4 step version. I use it regularly when setting up camp, mostly to hang decor from the awning. It's light weight and easy to use. Both of these together weight less then the steel ladder I have, take up less space and easily fit in the pass through storage.
permitwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:53 PM   #41

KZ RV Club
Ladders

With a collapsible ladder of this type there is a small pin on both sides of the ladder for each rung. In other words, if you have 12 rungs there are 24 pins. EVERY one of these must engage for the ladder to be used safely. And since they are inside the ladder there is no way to see a problem.
Stick with the Little Giant style ladders. Everything is on the OUTSIDE of the ladder and easily checked. Falls from ladders, ladder kick-outs, overreaching and overloading are life- changing or life ending events. Don’t scrimp on the important stuff.
Popsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:52 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
A-frame

I bought an A-frame ladder because I don't want to lean a ladder against my windshield. I can raise it less than full height, and make the legs unequal. Yes, it flexes a bit. Yes, it will pinch. I replaced a Little Giant clone - this one fits in the bay, along with other 'stuff.'

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07RM1D48Y/

Bob
TraditionBob is offline   Reply With Quote