Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2020, 10:42 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome!

While I'm firmly in the gasser camp, but nothing you've mentioned raises any red flags. If that's what you want, go for it! I assume you've made use of your CDL, so you've got a leg up on the boatload o' newbies whose first purchase is a brand new 45' Dutch Star. Steep learning curve there!

We drove a 25 footer for 6 years and just moved up to a 34' that we love. It's plenty of room for the two of us and a grandkid or two. With 35 to 38 feet you'll probably get an additional half-bath and space for a washer/dryer. Unless you're into entertaining large groups, what else do you need?

Good luck with your search. Unlike folks looking for entry-level units I think you'll have quite a few options to choose from. We're now Tiffin zealots, but you won't go wrong with any of the brands on your list.

See you on the road!

Regards,

Randy
groswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2020, 11:01 AM   #16
PKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
-- snip --
-35' to 38'
-2004 to 2018
-minimum 3 slides
-"asking price" $100K to $120K
-higher quality rig, i.e., Newmar, Country Coach, Tiffin, etc.

-- snip -- (time and money) -- snip --
Too long --- 33ft (a 40ft with no slides has a lot of value)
Too old --- newer units have better features (some pre-2008 are quality)
Slides can fail - fewer better - three is normal - get good mechanisms - maintain
Too low - find what you need and want - may have to travel less at higher quality
Yes - get best you can afford - plain can be better utility than fancy - get reliable

Negotiate .... always, but .... now is not good time to buy low cost. Fair $$$s for value, not low bid. Exception - with care, a problem that you can correct may offer lower acquisition $$$s and have value for you.

Truthfully, if you normally drive a truck, the right travel trailer might be a better option than a motorhome if your budget really is $100K. It depends on you and what you prefer. Keep an open mind and be sure before you jump.

Size - it's not about being too big to handle. It's about travel utility. Where you prefer to go and can fit. Old folks usually prefer enjoying the experience. Bigger can be a best experience for some. We find taking a bathroom where we go to be a real advantage. That translates to smaller being better.

We like a comfortable travel vehicle. That is different for different folks - understand what works for you. A motorhome hits bridge transitions hard - if you drive a bus, you know that. Some folks do not. A new truck rides reasonably well, is easier to get maintained and can be used year round. I don't know what is right for you. Do enough research so you do know what is right for you and your wife. RVing is a partner activity. Make the decision together.

One final point. You may want to consider a gasser. That can be a quality option. The down side is noise while traveling, but if you drive 200 miles a day, not to worry. Depends on what you want in the final analysis.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 11:44 AM   #17

First, dont let anyone tell you "Now people aren't negotiating on RV's." They say that all the time no matter what the circumstance.

A guy could be standing there with 50 RV's and not a customer in sight and many people on this forum would say "He isn't going to drop a penny in this market."

Secondly, you dont sound like you are afraid of diesels so dont let the people here full of gas try and change your mind.

You are on the right track - Go for it.
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 11:47 AM   #18

Foretravel Owners Club
Retired driver, Bought a 40' Foretravel, single slide with tag... In hindsight should have bought the 45 footer with the single slide...
We do a lot of dry camping where there isn't room to extend slides, Or other areas that do not encourage the extending of slides.[think WallyWorlds/rest areas /truckstops /"hidey hole" fishing spots,/ friends & family driveway squatting ..]
Note.. with only a single slide, Our coach is fully usable/accessible with the slide retracted.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 12:12 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
GFC --

A 38 foot coach is not too big for a Class A "first time". My first-ever Class A was a 2007 Damon Astoria 3774 diesel pusher. Except for getting use to having no "front end", the Damon was for me easier to drive and manuver that the my four door Chevy Silverado with 30 foot bumper pull travel trailer in tow.

PPL Motorhomes is a large consigment dealer in the Houston/Dallas areas. Their website will give you an idea of model, age and condition of motorhomes available you could expect to find in your price range --> https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-r...tBy=price+desc

Motorhomes of Texas is another large new / used motorhome dealer where you can look at types of motorhomes in your price range. At the moment they have a great look 2010 Winnebago Itasca taht looks to be in great condition --> https://www.motorhomesoftexas.com/Pr...36548?ref=list

Good luck with your shopping! Don't hessitate to ask the forum for thoughts on any models that interest you.
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 04:03 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
GFC,

Frankly, given your criteria and stated abilities, I would look at anything that “floats your boat”.

Once you narrow your search down to maybe a couple coaches,
Come back to the forum (I’d start a new thread) an post about a “possible purchase of xxxxx” and then get the feedback on what it is you are looking at. I’m sure you get plenty of yeas or nays and what to look out for.

I think the total length will mean next to nothing....find what you need/like/feel most comfortable in.
Maybe have a discussion on how you plan to use it, ie, boondocking, RV parks, etc.
Old 12-17-2020, 05:01 PM   #21
GFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblas View Post
GFC,

Frankly, given your criteria and stated abilities, I would look at anything that “floats your boat”.
Funny you should use that phrase "floats your boat". I have a boat that's in Seattle right now that is for sale and when it floats to a new owner I'm going to be narrowing my search down to a few coaches. Anybody want to trade their RV for my boat?

Thanks to all who posted comments. One thing I forgot to mention in my OP is that whatever RV we narrow the search down to I will definitely have it inspected. I'm no mechanic so I want to know what I'm buying when I pick one out and I want to know going in what needs to be fixed or replaced.