Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2018, 05:23 PM   #29
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Well, that's a whole lotta Carnitas worth of reason for an Instapot. That look delicious!

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2018, 11:47 AM   #30

Currently our meals are usually dishes prepared at home and warmed up in the microwave. Or stuff we picked up at the commissary that are microwaveable. Fast, fast, fast. Frankly I've over all the nuking, but we really don't cook too much from scratch in the RV due to smells and heat.

DH likes to cook over an open fire or grill stuff which is always yummy. (He also adores his regular pressure cooker that he uses at home a LOT. Fast, fast, fast) The idea of the instapot and the toaster/toaster oven to fix up meals sounds more like my kind of cooking ( to go with the grilling). I have cooked stews over an open fire, but in the summer it's too hot here in VA.
lfcjasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:23 PM   #31

I made corned beef with the slow cooker option in our Instant Pot today. Yum!
Old 11-04-2018, 07:45 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
I made corned beef with the slow cooker option in our Instant Pot today. Yum!

I made corned beef last week, very tender. I set the stew mode for 45 min and added potatoes and carrots during the last 8 min. The next day I used the juice to cook rice.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:32 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
I made corned beef last week, very tender. I set the stew mode for 45 min and added potatoes and carrots during the last 8 min. The next day I used the juice to cook rice.
What do you mean by making corned beef? Do you mean you took beef and corned it (which usually takes 10 days) or did you make a dish from corned beef?

If you corned beef in 45 minute I would be very interested in how you did it. I do love me some corned beef.
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:33 AM   #34

Think they made a dish with corned beef
lfcjasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:25 PM   #35

I love my Instapot and my Airfrier. But it takes space to carry both pieces. Ninja has recently come out with a combination unit called the Ninja Foodi. Pressure cook and air fry (to brown) in the same machine. Would only have to carry this one machine. Sounds promising and the reviews are good.
OHIOJERRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:58 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvethereyet View Post
What do you mean by making corned beef? Do you mean you took beef and corned it (which usually takes 10 days) or did you make a dish from corned beef?

If you corned beef in 45 minute I would be very interested in how you did it. I do love me some corned beef.

The general public buy's corned beef at a store and cooks it. I don't know anybody that makes corned beef from scratch!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:02 PM   #37

We have 3 Instant Pots in the S&B, two 6qts and an 8qt. We travel with one of the 6qt pots in the RV. Last year we were out during Thanksgiving and made a complete thanksgiving dinner; turkey breast, green bean casserole and scalloped potatoes, in the Instant Pot. The only thing we didn't make in the pot was the dressing and rolls.

We obviously like the Instant Pot. We routinely make pot and pork roasts, turkey loins, meatloaf's and beef tips with noodles or rice. We also make chicken dishes, soups and stews. The wife frequently makes banana bread and cheese cakes that are really good IMHO. All of this in our RV with it's extremely small kitchen. As far as food prep goes, it's not really any different than for other cooking appliances. We use a lot of frozen vegetables to save time and chopping since they don't have to be thawed to cook.

We no longer carry the crock pot, electric skillet, or big steamer pot as a result. We are looking at one of the air fryers however to supplement the Instant Pot's imitations, can't fry foods. It works well for us, but like everything else, it's not for everybody.

Mike H
Bubba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:38 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
The general public buy's corned beef at a store and cooks it. I don't know anybody that makes corned beef from scratch!
I make it from scratch.
Not hard at all.
Been doing it for the last 45 years.

As for an Instapot, Can do everything with regular pot and pans, it just takes a little longer.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:54 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddykern View Post
I make it from scratch.
Not hard at all.
Been doing it for the last 45 years.

As for an Instapot, Can do everything with regular pot and pans, it just takes a little longer.
That is why I asked. I know some people do make their own. It is not that hard
it just takes days. And if I can make it in 45 min I am interested in how. Some folks need to broaden their horizon.
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:47 PM   #40

Lots of great ideas! I saw the foodi at Sams Club, but have not read up on it much. Had planned to just use my pots and pans as I do at home. Have a NuWave oven and rarely use it. Though my sister lives for hers. Why is everyone concerned with food odors, is this for resale?

Thanks for all of the input on this, I learn so much on here and we can't get away until Feb so plenty of time for Black friday sales for an Instapot or foodi.
Dee744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:25 PM   #41

We full time in 24 ft motorhome, it’s little. We have a 3 qt instant pot.

I have the attention span of a gnat and can burn anything. So I make rice and quinoa in it, it really does not take longer than the regular cook it in a pot method. Out of dozens of hard boiled eggs I’ve had one egg that was difficult to peel. Our microwave is convection also, so we don’t need an oven. The gasket can hold onto odors especially chili and curry, I air it out, I have read some people buy extras to use for meat dishes vs desserts but I don’t think mine is *that* odoriferous. I do oil the bowl before cooking and it’s very easy to wipe out and wash for those water saving times. I don’t love cooking, it’s very easy to use successfully, so I love the thing.
nancybninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:07 AM   #42

We've cooked with a stovetop pressure cooker and a crock-pot slow cooker for years and bought a small slow cooker for the MH figuring we'd bring the pressure cooker with us when we hit the road full time. Saw the Instapots when they first came out but they were to bulky and expensive, and I'm resistant to buying into the latest kitchen super gadget fads anyway. Then the price came down, and the smaller 3 quart Instapot came out, and we picked one up on sale hoping it would take the place of our two appliances. We both like it so it's going with us instead of the other two items. It doesn't pressure cook as fast as a stovetop pressure cooker, but it's fast enough, and it works as well as separate dedicated appliances. If you like using a pressure cooker and a crockpot, the Instapot will work well and take up less total space. We get pork roasts on sale and after cooking them, I'll often take the remaining meat juice and make soup or gravy for another meal. A $5 roast and some vegetables is good for a couple days worth of dinners for the two of us.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote