Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2018, 02:52 PM   #1

Tell me why I need an Instapot?

We just bought an Starcraft 24 RLS and are outfitting it and I am looking at my crockpot, thinking it is big then at my toaster oven and thinking the same. I do have a medium sized pressure cooker, so will an Instapot cover all but the toaster oven?

I have no experience with them but the idea of cake is almost worth it. So what is so great that we should buy one to save space and time.
Dee744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2018, 03:33 PM   #2

We slow cook corned beef and pressure cook beef roasts in ours and those are the best reasons for me. DW likes hard boiled eggs and it is as easy as can be to get them perfect in the Instant Pot.

We complement it with a Breville countertop convection oven for all oven chores. The microwave/convection combination is just for microwave use. But, our coach has a lot of counter space.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:41 PM   #3
WDW

Tell me why I need an Instapot?

I’m an early adopter and have never engaged to the level of believing it’s beyond awesome. However our air fryer rises to the level of can’t lived without it.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 03:55 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Several years ago, I bought a Power Pressure Cooker XL for the S&B's off one of those late night infomercials. It looks like it operates like the Instapot. Cooks up tender roasts/ribs/wings/stews...etc. It's also a slow cooker. Love it. I took it to the coach &, unlike my large Rival slow cooker I've toted around for 13 seasons, it fits in the sink so I can have it on, cooking away, while driving down the road. I took the Rival to Goodwill & now the PPCXL resides in our coach until RV-ing season is over, then it comes back inside my home.

I've got a Hamilton Beach 2-in-1 toaster/toaster oven to cover most anything else I want to toast/broil, without having to use the convection oven.

As for what is great about the PPCXL: Dinner is ready when we arrive at our campsite, after we're tired from hours of driving & setting up.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:09 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
A pressure cooker equals 3 hours +, instant pot = 30 minutes. Gives you a ton of one pot options for meals without the long cooking times.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:19 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
The PPCXL does not take 3+ hours to pressure cook. Hence the word "Power" in the name Power Pressure Cooker. I can do a 3lb pot roast in 25 min. Once it's finished cooking, it automatically goes to a hold warm mode & it keeps the meal hot until we've arrived at our site. That's why I said it operates like the Instapot.

Lori-
Old 11-01-2018, 04:53 PM   #7

There are some good thoughts. Our micro is not convection, so that leaves the oven or grill for browning. Would I be better off with a toaster and an Instapot? Space is premium as you all know.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:06 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I'd think the Instapot would brown, but you might have to do it like I do in the PPCXL - brown first in the pot, then either pressure or slow cook in it afterwards. That's how I get a nice browning on the pot roast that adds flavor as it cooks with the potatoes, carrots, gravy...etc.

I like the 2-in-1 tabletop toaster oven we have for other baking needs. I buy those frozen cookie dough nibs & make up 1/2 dozen fresh baked choc chip or peanut butter cookies in the evenings. The toaster also handles flat bread pizzas, muffins, small cakes...etc.

Lori-
Old 11-01-2018, 05:25 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have the Instant Pot 6 Duo for the house. For all the hype, it's not really a timesaver. It's greatest appeal is that you can saute' and pressure cook in one appliance. You still have to wait til it comes up to pressure and the pressure cooking time is generally short. But then most recipes call for slow "natural" release of pressure and that adds time. Plus all the chopping and cutting up of ingredients. It is not a "dump it all in and forget it" appliance.
Bonus though is you can do a pot roast (with all prep work) in 1 1/2 hours instead of 3-4. So, somewhat of a timesaver I suppose.
baraff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:27 PM   #10

Lori, can you give me a link with something like you are talking about that bakes cookies etc? I have a NuWave oven but it is huge, but would do like you say. just do not have that much room.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:21 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I linked to it in my post #4

Lori-
Old 11-01-2018, 08:58 PM   #12

Thanks, made me rethink the toaster oven. It will toast and hot crunchy bread would be nice. Will have to weigh it out.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:02 PM   #13

We use a countertop induction hotplate, an air fryer, an Instant Pot and a Weber Q. With these 4 items I can cook dang near anything simply. I like that the convection plate and IP doesn't heat up the inside of the RV or set off the smoke detectors like the propane stove and oven. The IP is probably the best cooking device I've ever used, from cooking a whole chicken to a rack of ribs to steaming oysters and crablegs for a low country boil all in one pot. It is the bomb!
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee744 View Post
We just bought an Starcraft 24 RLS and are outfitting it and I am looking at my crockpot, thinking it is big then at my toaster oven and thinking the same. I do have a medium sized pressure cooker, so will an Instapot cover all but the toaster oven?

I have no experience with them but the idea of cake is almost worth it. So what is so great that we should buy one to save space and time.
We've asked ourselves the same question; what will it will do to feed ourselves that we can't do already? With our rig we have a microwave, a gas oven, a gas cooktop, pots and pans, a toaster, a coffee maker, a tea kettle, and a Weber Q. Plus there's the fire pit outside if we want to use it. Since space is limited and we have yet to go hungry we decided against it.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote