Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2022, 09:24 PM   #1

Tent campers taking large RV spots..

Im a newbie RV'er and am taking my first trip. I have a medium size TT. I left Key Largo and am heading for Alaska.
Anyway...unlike our State and NP's Parks, up in the Yukon, the Govt camping parks are all first come...no reservations.
I see a some tent campers pitching tents in large pull through sites or larger flat back in sites. But in private parks, they tend to be assigned smaller sites that would be difficult for RV's.
Is this an acceptable practice or should the tent campers stick to the smaller sites in first come parks? I'm not talking about legal rules inside the park but I'm only wondering about what is a mannerly practice.
I'm not complaining at all and am NOT trying to start an argument between different campers. I just was wondering if this is an acceptable practice?
Thanks
Homeby5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2022, 09:48 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Double pull through empty, every other spot available is filled.
You camping or going down the road to look for another spot?
Thats my answer.
Terry
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 10:09 PM   #3

1st come 1st served pretty much says it all

Acceptable........to the tenters YES

Not prohibited then 1st come 1st served applies
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 10:22 PM   #4

Almost everywhere we've been, tenters are good about using tent-only sites when available, even in first come first serve parks.

That said, we are now staying at a first come first serve park with a huge selection of tent sites available and tenters using 50A sites instead. Could be some issue with the tent area, just seemed odd.
wolfgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 10:43 PM   #5

1st come sites can be for anyone and tenters can surely use any site they want.

However, I think it comes down to common courtesy not to take the big sites unless that's all that's left.

We used these types of campgrounds and to us, the small sites were usually the best - scenic-wise and for privacy. They were on the outskirts and tucked into the corners. We often said "Wish we could fit into that site".
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 12:04 AM   #6

People who have always used tents and never owned an RV or TT mostly do not know any better. They just pick a spot they like and pay for it. Most probably do not understand about the 50-30-20 amp service. I know alot of tent campers use enough fans and other small electrical appliances to need 30 amp service. I am sure alot of them also like the better location of the RV/TT sites such as a nice view of the lake, etc. I wouldn't wanna be just thrown out into the trees to camp.
Old 06-06-2022, 12:50 AM   #7

Most tent sites don't have water and power and aren't to level.

With the new powered coolers and electric cook tops, phone chargers,..... tenters want power.

At a first come first serve site, with the same or a small extra cost, why not.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 07:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Most tent sites don't have water and power and aren't to level.

With the new powered coolers and electric cook tops, phone chargers,..... tenters want power.

At a first come first serve site, with the same or a small extra cost, why not.
Yep, with one or two of those portable ac units to keep you cool along with a small fridge and induction cooktop and rest rooms and showers right across the street, those tent setups look real appealing. Lol
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 08:09 AM   #9

Much like the one car using two parking spaces, it isn't always the one you see that caused the pattern.

I live 1 mile from a campground. On Monday or Tuesday I often see a group of tents in a long paved site. It isn't that they are rude or inconsiderate. It was the only available spot on Fri-Sat-Sun and they aren't going to pack up and move until they leave.

I've also noticed a pattern in the State campgrounds. Three or four families will rent one bigger flat site, and then park the extra cars in the overflow lot to stay under the vehicle limit. It's hard to say if this is reducing congestion by only taking one site, or possibly twisting some specific rules. I'm glad it isn't my job to worry about it.
Adaycj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 08:14 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We stayed at one state park a few years back that had a camping area with no electricity but did have water for each site. They were paved back in sites. Restrooms were in the loop. The other loop was 30-amp full hook up sites.

The park manager would not allow an RV of any type in the water only loop...had to be a tent. But in the full hook up loop, he allowed tent campers to occupy a site. It made no sense to us as he would turn away small RVs that would have been happy to have the water only site for a night. I think it takes stupid people to make up stupid rules.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 09:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaycj View Post
Much like the one car using two parking spaces, it isn't always the one you see that caused the pattern.

I live 1 mile from a campground. On Monday or Tuesday I often see a group of tents in a long paved site. It isn't that they are rude or inconsiderate. It was the only available spot on Fri-Sat-Sun and they aren't going to pack up and move until they leave.

I've also noticed a pattern in the State campgrounds. Three or four families will rent one bigger flat site, and then park the extra cars in the overflow lot to stay under the vehicle limit. It's hard to say if this is reducing congestion by only taking one site, or possibly twisting some specific rules. I'm glad it isn't my job to worry about it.
I did Indian Princesses with my granddaughter when she was younger. (Her dad was a stick in the mud.)

We would literally take over almost a whole state park. Our tribe had ~35 dads and 40 girls, the nation was pushing 400 girls. We would use the RV sites, our tribe usually got about 5-6 campsites for 30 vehicles. We would have 2-3 TT (we graduated to a popup from a tent for the last year or two.) Rest were tents. Of course, girls wanted close to restrooms, etc. We might have 3-4 vehicles parked in each spot plus a few at the overflow area.

I have seen Scouts and other groups do similar.

I have seen various times where tent campers were taking up prime RV spots, or a 15 foot trailer or a Sprinter van had that great 50 foot pull through. First come, first serve.
Old 06-06-2022, 09:50 AM   #12

We've done it as a family. Some of my kids are tenters and one plus the wife and I are TT owners. We wanted to all be next to each other so we booked sites in the same vicinity.
These were reservation sites and nowhere does it say no tents in RV spots.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 09:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by carybosse View Post
I did Indian Princesses with my granddaughter when she was younger. (Her dad was a stick in the mud.)

We would literally take over almost a whole state park. Our tribe had ~35 dads and 40 girls, the nation was pushing 400 girls. We would use the RV sites, our tribe usually got about 5-6 campsites for 30 vehicles. We would have 2-3 TT (we graduated to a popup from a tent for the last year or two.) Rest were tents. Of course, girls wanted close to restrooms, etc. We might have 3-4 vehicles parked in each spot plus a few at the overflow area.

I have seen Scouts and other groups do similar.

I have seen various times where tent campers were taking up prime RV spots, or a 15 foot trailer or a Sprinter van had that great 50 foot pull through. First come, first serve.

A group of us pull a small tent campers behind our motorcycles. We ask the campground if we can put more than one in an RV spot. Normally they agree and only charge for the extra people. We like the idea of power and water and being closer to the bath houses.

I also have toy hauler and always try to reserve a pull through site since I need the extra room to unload the bike. I have had Class A rv'rs tell me those sites are for large RV's only and I'm taking up a spaces for them.
I guess they assume since they have a $$$$ rig, they deserve the best.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 09:52 AM   #14

I have questioned staff at our busiest state park here in SC and was told that if they pay the money for a full hook up site then the park is willing to take it. Yet I have to book a year in advance to get the spots that I like to have. Unless fuel cost starts driving folks away, not going to get any better any time soon as for spot availability.
Saltyguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper