RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2020, 08:50 AM   #1

Terrible Neighbor

I have an HOA which prevents obvious storage of my motorhome in my driveway. However, even when I bring it home for a day or two to wash and basic maintenance she complains. Says she feels like she is living in a trailer park and I block her "airflow".. I am looking for suggestions from others as to creative ideas where I could wash/wax and perform basic maintenance offsite. I store in an outside enclosed/gated area but no electricity and no water etc.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2020, 08:54 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My HOA prohibits overnight but not daytime. If yours is the same you could possibly split the job in two separate days.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:55 AM   #3

Ignore her but make sure your HOA allows it at your home for short periods of time. Some people aren’t happy unless they’re making others suffer. Thankfully our HOA has no restrictions regarding RV storage but we’re on one acre lots.
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW22r View Post
I have an HOA which prevents obvious storage of my motorhome in my driveway. However, even when I bring it home for a day or two to wash and basic maintenance she complains. Says she feels like she is living in a trailer park and I block her "airflow".. I am looking for suggestions from others as to creative ideas where I could wash/wax and perform basic maintenance offsite. I store in an outside enclosed/gated area but no electricity and no water etc.
If you have a generator, fill the freshwater tank and clean it up at the storage unit.

If your still doing it at home set a fan on high & point it at Mrs. Krabitz.
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:25 AM   #5

Tell her she is blocking your collective happiness and that you are even.....
Old 06-06-2020, 09:31 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
As long as you are sure you are following the HOA rules, ignore her. If she hassles you verbally while you are outside, go proactively to the HOA and complain yourself. Best idea: get yourself on the board so they don’t go stupid.
UTTransplant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:43 AM   #7

Depending upon the type of neighborhood you live in, she may or may not have a point. If you are on a typical suburban lot, just ignore her, provided you aren't violating any HOA rules and are taking steps to minimize the impact on your neighbors.
If your community is a condo community or zero lot line homes you may very well be creating a nuisance morally, if not legally. In such close communities your RV may cross in front of several homes when parked parallel on the street. Running water and maybe a pressure washer to clean your rig might make too much noise and mess in the eyes of your neighbors. You have to "read the room". If that is the situation, the best option might be to take the rig to a car wash that has a truck washing bay. Then you can clean at will.
kcdogger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:10 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Not much help to the OP.....but, this is why we moved from a HOA controlled community. One of the most aggravating and stupid things I did was serve on the board there. Ungrateful residents and threats on our lives.

You can't please everyone all the time.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
Not much help to the OP.....but, this is why we moved from a HOA controlled community. One of the most aggravating and stupid things I did was serve on the board there. Ungrateful residents and threats on our lives.

You can't please everyone all the time.
I lived in Gulf Harbours in Newport Richy Fl, a very anal HOA. I would trailer my 24 foot boat to my house on Friday evening. By 7am a threatening letter would be taped to my door.
The hoa allowed for 24 hours. But this one anal person couldn't comprehend 10 pm Friday night to 10 pm Saturday night equals 24 hours. I'll never live in that environment again.
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:52 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Follow your HOA rules to the letter when it comes to motorhomes and you will be fine. Don't get into a discussion with your neighbor, don't even talk to her about it. If you do, the next thing it will be that you assaulted her. Stay away from her.
Old 06-06-2020, 11:07 AM   #11

Hi MW22R; Agree with others who have posted their response here. Know EXACTLY what you are allowed to do with your huge motorhome at your residence. I have checked into many properties and always ask, if they have HOA & CCR, what are the rules when parking an RV in a community where storage is not allowed. Everything I have read in print spells out how long and where you can park your RV for washing, loading and other things you need to come and go from your property. If you are following the rules to a tee, then your neighbor is harassing you and there are laws and rules that come into play in those situations. Also agree with others here. Do not communicate with this neighbor. This is just my opinion and thought I would add to the conversation. Good luck with your situation and hope it improves.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:20 AM   #12

Usually people buy into a HOA neighborhood because they don’t want undesirables living next door who don’t keep their houses up. I m personally can see paying someone to tell me what I can and can’t do. With that said if you’re breaking rules your out of luck or pay fines. It gives some people a life complaining.
Old 06-06-2020, 11:38 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have been on several HOA boards for many years. There's no end to frivolous complainers..... if leaves fall off a tree the wrong way, they complain that they landed on their sidewalk and want the HOA to get it cleaned immediately. If a couple of kids are at the basketball court after 8pm, the board gets complaint emails with photos. Now they're emailing photos claiming people aren't practicing social distancing within the neighborhood. The board response is generally "go pound sand"! Most HOA rules are BS to begin with.

Bottom line is, as long as you follow the rules, you have every right to do what you are doing. Your terrible neighbor needs to get a life.... or a gold fish because dogs are probably disallowed!
Old 06-06-2020, 11:49 AM   #14

The bottom line - is that HOAs exist because owners fear "people like THOSE" will move into the neighborhood and decrease property values. The rest is mostly window dressing.

For year I've contended that HOAs and various covenants and restrictions are not valid contracts with anyone other than the original owners (often the property developer), as one cannot negotiate the terms as individual parties... a 'take it or leave it' that spread to software "licenses", etc.

There's a whole lot that wrong with HOAs and their ilk but so long as property owners fear that people not like themselves will buy into the neighborhood, they will continue to exist and exercise morally dubious (though currently legal) authority over owners.