Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2008, 09:58 PM   #1

Our sincere thanks to the camper that saw the need to put my awning in and probably saved it from damage. The story goes like this ...we left the RV park early morning what started to be a beautiful day, our awning out and thinking all would be fine. At noon time, we were about 50 miles from the park when a storm came about, lots of rain, WIND and I was really afraid what might happen to the awning. Our return was further delayed due to an accident blocking the highway and when we finally got back to the park, the storm had passed.

Our surprise came when pulling up to our RV and seeing the awning was properly rolled up, locked in place and the strap rod I normally keep in the awning arm channel was placed next to the tires ...no note and the neighbor campers did not see who did the good deed. I was also told of the strong winds.

My question ...have you ever done something like this for a fellow RV'r? If the chance comes my way ...you may be the one I'll help ...I too may not leave a note.

Rich and Zara

Our RV trip to Alaska
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2008, 09:58 PM   #2

Our sincere thanks to the camper that saw the need to put my awning in and probably saved it from damage. The story goes like this ...we left the RV park early morning what started to be a beautiful day, our awning out and thinking all would be fine. At noon time, we were about 50 miles from the park when a storm came about, lots of rain, WIND and I was really afraid what might happen to the awning. Our return was further delayed due to an accident blocking the highway and when we finally got back to the park, the storm had passed.

Our surprise came when pulling up to our RV and seeing the awning was properly rolled up, locked in place and the strap rod I normally keep in the awning arm channel was placed next to the tires ...no note and the neighbor campers did not see who did the good deed. I was also told of the strong winds.

My question ...have you ever done something like this for a fellow RV'r? If the chance comes my way ...you may be the one I'll help ...I too may not leave a note.

Rich and Zara

Our RV trip to Alaska
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:10 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Your story reaffirms my belief that the good folks still outnumber the inconsiderate in our world of RV'ing.

Actually I have done that twice in the past and would do it again. I like to think that someone in my CG would do the same for me.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:35 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I have also done this. In Lake Havasu, the winds were kicking up stong and along with several other campers, we rolled up numerous awnings. We didn't get to them all in time and sure enough, a few were damaged. In the past, I have had my awning supports ripped from the side of a travel trailer and the awning (and poles) thrown over the roof of the RV. Winds can cause a lot of damage......be careful of the coming weather.

2020 - 41' Solitude
rkerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:30 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
A good lesson learned: Never leave your awning down when you're not there! You never know when a storm or strong winds will blow through.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:34 AM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
On the other hand, there have been posts over the years on various RV forums where the returning owners were furious that someone rolled their awning up.

Go figure.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:41 AM   #7

Ya know Dirk,it happened to me.I tried to put up an older camper awning and was having a hard time getting it up.My intentions were good , but owner came back later and confronted me and asked me what I was doing on his site. I explained myself ,but he was soured. Some will never find the good in people.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:54 AM   #8

I don't even want to know the folks who would be furious if some kind person rolled up a fellow campers awning saving it from damage. We have done that for folks and they have been very thankful. I just could not sit by and watch damage done if I could help avoid it. There are simply a few crab apples in every group, however, as has been said often most RV'ers are great people.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:09 PM   #9

We were in Iowa at the Winnebago Grand National and had gone out to dinner leaving our awning out. On our way back to Forest City we encountered a storm like a hurricane with the wind and rain so bad we were fearful of blowing off the road into the cornfields. We knew our awning though an automatic one was toast. We were THRILLED and ever so THANKFUL that some of our neighbors put the awning in since it did not roll up by itself.

Again THANK YOU to those kind souls that braved the horrible wind and rain to put our awning safely away.

We learned a real lesson that night. If we were not physically under the awning roll it up since even from inside we can't always tell when the wind is picking up. We NEVER trust it to roll up by itself.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:57 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We, too, have rolled up awnings &, just this last June, saved a runaway pop-up canopy. We've also benefitted from a kind camper rolling up our awning while we were away when a freak storm came up.

It's just the kind of thing we as rv-r's do & I'm grateful for those that do the same.

Lori
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:43 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes I have rolled up a few awning and a few thanked me, some didn't say a thing about thanks...just, "oh, you did it!"

At least I knew I was trying to save then some problems.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:37 AM   #12

well i think its very nice....
and would like for someone to put up mine...
Old 08-29-2008, 07:41 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Great story. RVers in general are very good people.

Many years ago when we had a TT, I was forced to store it in an RV storage lot. It was a small gravel lot behind a business that had about 30 RV's in it. One time I went to pick up the trailer in preparation for a trip, and there was a note on my door telling me that I had left my entry door wide open, and this kind person who did not name themself, closed it for me. I felt totally stupid walking away leaving the door open, but grateful that someone helped me out.

I tried to return the favor last year when the CG that we were staying in was evacuated due to an approaching wild fire. The smoke was getting thick and ashes were falling like snow. The folks camping next to us had gone into Santa Barbara for the day, and left several windows open. Fearing they would suffer smoke damage, I went around and closed all of their windows from the outside, before we left. They had no pets, so I wasn't worried about suffocating any animals.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote