Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2012, 05:39 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Strange! We have it in every drawer, every cabinet, EVERYWHERE and it doesn't slip or bunch. Possibly a difference in mfg....
We also use a large piece (normally put under floor rugs) under the mattress - no slippage in 20,000 miles
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #16
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wow! X2 on never having a problem and we also have it everywhere. I have a cafeteria tray that I turn upside down on my lap for my laptop to keep the airflow going. That is one slippery piece of real estate. I put the non-skid stuff on it and the MACBook Pro stays in place. I can pick the tray up with nothing on the non-skid and the non-skid stays in place. Just for giggles I took my laptop off right now and held the tray up with the non-skid side down and it did not fall off. I have only had the non-skid on their for 3 weeks.

RanCarr, consider this. With some course grit sandpaper rough up the shelves just a little and try the non-skid material again.

Good luck.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #17

Have you tried Zots? You can get them at Walmart in the Arts and Craft section. They come in different sizes and the largest ones seem to work best. We use them all over the motor home. They come off easy as well.
jollyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
It never would have occurred to me to use carpet like that and never read about anybody else doing it. It's a shame because it works wonderfully.
What kind of carpet was used? There are so many different kinds of carpet out there. A throw rug? Berber type?
Old 08-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine bunch up and move too. My plates/bowls/glasses are all lighter weight though, nothing real heavy to keep it from moving, maybe? Or maybe my coach is just bouncier and vibrates a lot more than the heavier diesel pushers? Or maybe where I bought it, I bought it at Lowe's and it was sold as shelf liner. I also have a big piece under the mattress as someone posted it too is for rugs and it keeps the mattress from moving even under my heavy tonnage Or maybe its the shelves in the cabinets, some are slicker finished than others.. Many variables there....

I do have from the PO carpet in my pantry and nothing moves on it, as previously posted on this thread. The carpet is a great idea, but I wouldn't want to glue it in, just cut it to fit then install it....I like that idea too.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:05 PM   #20

When I said "ribbed" I meant something like this (this is not my actual carpet but it looks like it):

This is regular floor carpet. There are also ribbed entrance mats backed with rubber (I have one), but I'm not sure it would be good for shelves because the ribs have a lot of space between them. On the stuff that's on my shelves, the ribs are all mashed up against each other, making a solid surface.

My basement storage compartments have carpet installed by the manufacturer, and it's not a type I would suggest. It's very thin and flat. I think one reason the type of carpet pictured works so well is that the ribs help prevent sliding, and it's regular floor-type carpet so it has a bit of bounce to it, which might help absorb motion while underway.

Do carpet stores still sell/give away their leftover samples? That would be a cheap way to get a small piece to try.

FWIW, the previous owner installed the carpet with the ribs running horizontally on shelves and vertically in the drawers. I think I agree with horizontally on the shelves, if you're trying to get things not to move to the front and fall out, but I don't think it would matter in the drawers and wonder if it was a way to get the most pieces out of a big piece of carpet.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:06 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnybare View Post
Maybe some double sided tape---tape with stickey on both sides
As mentioned above, it doesn't stick to the no-slip stuff. Neither does Industrial strength Velcro.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
When I said "ribbed" I meant something like this (this is not my actual carpet but it looks like it):

This is regular floor carpet. There are also ribbed entrance mats backed with rubber (I have one), but I'm not sure it would be good for shelves because the ribs have a lot of space between them. On the stuff that's on my shelves, the ribs are all mashed up against each other, making a solid surface.

My basement storage compartments have carpet installed by the manufacturer, and it's not a type I would suggest. It's very thin and flat. I think one reason the type of carpet pictured works so well is that the ribs help prevent sliding, and it's regular floor-type carpet so it has a bit of bounce to it, which might help absorb motion while underway.

Do carpet stores still sell/give away their leftover samples? That would be a cheap way to get a small piece to try.

FWIW, the previous owner installed the carpet with the ribs running horizontally on shelves and vertically in the drawers. I think I agree with horizontally on the shelves, if you're trying to get things not to move to the front and fall out, but I don't think it would matter in the drawers and wonder if it was a way to get the most pieces out of a big piece of carpet.
Hummm, interesting. I'll have to look at the carpets in Lowe's and HomeDepot. They sometimes have short ends. I would love to know it'll work before buying a piece. They may give me a small piece. My cabinets run both across the RV and a long the sides. So stuff shifts from side to side and back to front.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
Mine bunch up and move too. My plates/bowls/glasses are all lighter weight though, nothing real heavy to keep it from moving, maybe? Or maybe my coach is just bouncier and vibrates a lot more than the heavier diesel pushers? Or maybe where I bought it, I bought it at Lowe's and it was sold as shelf liner. I also have a big piece under the mattress as someone posted it too is for rugs and it keeps the mattress from moving even under my heavy tonnage Or maybe its the shelves in the cabinets, some are slicker finished than others.. Many variables there....
Mine are quite slick and I'm sure that's part of the problem. They're easy to keep clean but nothing wants to stick to them either.

Quote:
I do have from the PO carpet in my pantry and nothing moves on it, as previously posted on this thread. The carpet is a great idea, but I wouldn't want to glue it in, just cut it to fit then install it....I like that idea too.
The worse jumble is where the dishes, plates, cups, mixing bowl, colander, plastic containers etc are kept. It's a long cabinet above the sofa. It's on the long side of the RV so everything shifts back and forth. The no-slip gets bunched and wrinkled. It's a mess when we get were we're going and a real PIA to get everything back in place leaning over the sofa. As for can goods, cereals, whatever - slipping and sliding, I've learned to pack the cabinets from side to side so they can't become a jumble. I removed the no-slip stuff from them also.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyjim View Post
Have you tried Zots? You can get them at Walmart in the Arts and Craft section. They come in different sizes and the largest ones seem to work best. We use them all over the motor home. They come off easy as well.
They're sticky on BOTH sides and nothing sticks to the no-slip. Do they stick to the no-slip liners you're using? What are you using them for?
Old 08-22-2012, 04:32 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Wow! X2 on never having a problem and we also have it everywhere. I have a cafeteria tray that I turn upside down on my lap for my laptop to keep the airflow going. That is one slippery piece of real estate. I put the non-skid stuff on it and the MACBook Pro stays in place.
Yes, I can see it working that way. But that's not what happens in cabinets when the RV is rocking and rolling down the road and the no-slip has cans and bottles and jars and other goodies on it shifting from side to side and front to back.

Quote:
I can pick the tray up with nothing on the non-skid and the non-skid stays in place. Just for giggles I took my laptop off right now and held the tray up with the non-skid side down and it did not fall off. I have only had the non-skid on their for 3 weeks.
I tried BOTH sides of the no-slide and neither side worked any better. Neither side sticks to the shelves. Both sides do stick to whatever I put on them, (weight seems to make it stick to items) bunching up when something is lifted or just shifting and bunching by itself up as the items on it shift around.

Quote:
RanCarr, consider this. With some course grit sandpaper rough up the shelves just a little and try the non-skid material again.
I can try that as we have sandpaper on hand all the time. But I hesitate to do that because if it doesn't work, the nice easy-to-clean non-absorbent finish on the shelves will be ruined.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
Strange! We have it in every drawer, every cabinet, EVERYWHERE and it doesn't slip or bunch. Possibly a difference in mfg....
That has to be the answer since what we have will itself slip and slide. Not as bad as dishes or cans, but little better. We bought it at Lowe's and it was called shelf-liner.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDSailor View Post
I was thinking double sided tape as well, but the kind that has 1/8" of foam between the sticky sides. Wipe the surface down with some thinners to remove any furniture polish, dry it well, then apply the foam tape.
Did this work for you? The double sided tape with the foam inside, as already mentioned, wont stick to the rubbery no-slip liner and was a nightmare to remove from the shelf.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:00 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Same happened to us so I got rid of it. Replaced it with a thick liner I bought from IKEA which has been fabulous. No slips or bunches at all and has served us perfectly for 3 years of full timing:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80012853/