Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2012, 06:23 PM   #57
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn309 View Post
Definitely no offense taken. LOL. I figure everyone calls it whatever they want to. The end result is the same. Getting away and enjoying the lifestyle.
I call it "Living The Life"!

Plain and simple!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2012, 06:36 PM   #58

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Here is my favorite position camping. Floating out in my inflatable kayak..pix #1 pix #2 or while at a State Park in Ohio last fall I was leaning back in my recliner with a beverage handy, snacks within arms reach, fire blazing away, checking my Ebay auctions, relisting my Craigslist items...on my new I-Phone....I would call this my outdoor office....I was very relaxed....I could get used to this.....My only worry was I had to get up to get another armful of firewood. But wait,,,I have an idea..." Hey Son come here, get dad that box of firewood over there". Now I'm set.....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #59

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
I don't think I've ever gotten fuel without someone asking (what kinda mileage that thing get). I was camping a couple of weeks ago and a tent camper told me I was staying in the condo section.
LOL! Love That!
Old 04-29-2012, 07:49 AM   #60

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
then we r forced to turn on the sat.....w/no cable...lol
Old 04-29-2012, 08:26 AM   #61
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Without PrejudiceLOL
I really heard about "That's not camping" after one tenter asked me about my coach at a site. I probably shouldn't have told him about the 37" flat screen with an 1100 watt 5.1 surround sound system I had just put in. It also didn't help that I mentioned our coach came with Corian Countertops and a side by side fridge freezer with an ice-maker.

Yes, camping back in the day was roughing it. However, at that time, most people were also roughing it in their own way of living. Everything has been kicked up a knotch or two and if you can do it, why not?

I, like the rest of you, have put in my time (roughly 30 years)with sleeping on the ground, fighting with tents, the rain, the animals, the cold, the tent trailer from "HELL"(that story alone is enough to want to slash your wrists...another day). I finally came to the conclusion or was it my wife? Probably! In any case, about 8 years ago, that if we were going to camp again, we would do it right! Just like the guy a few campsites down who came out of his coach after a night of heavy rain, clothes clean and dry. Hair washed and combed. Cup of coffee in his hand, WITHOUT having to start a fire with wet wood. NOT shivering to the bone! We thought "Now that guy really knows what he is doing"

Here we are today......Camping......OUR WAY!

To you poor stiff's out there who still think this isn't camping' either you haven't tried it our way, or you just haven't had enough of "roughing it" to see the light!

Once you get to be our age, you will no longer wish to subject your bodies to the cold, cold, ground and will want as many amenities as you can around you!
Old 04-29-2012, 08:34 AM   #62

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
"Been There, Done That," and now choose to enjoy life from the luxury of my mobile condo.
tmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #63

Enjoyed reading all the posts. To me its about getting away from everything. I grew up roughing it and as I got older I didn't enjoy it. Quit camping for over 30 years. Now we just like to be out with friends (they still tent camp) and sit and enjoy the outdoors. Time for bed, nice and soft, warm, my toilet and shower, and no TV.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Loved our first tent (and at $19 it put a dent in our budget). Loved our second tent (bigger). Loved our first very used/warn 15' TT, and the new 18' TT it got replaced with. Loved the 30' TT that replaced the 18', and so on.

My wife and I have taken a 'major' vacation trip every year since we were married, 38 years ago. The vast majority we stayed in campgrounds or RV parks. Peggy retires in 4 weeks and our current rig is our home. It has become more than 'camping', it is our chosen life style, something we worked decades to achieve, something seemingly lost on some.

Happy trails...
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:33 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
[U]
To you poor stiff's out there who still think this isn't camping' either you haven't tried it our way, or you just haven't had enough of "roughing it" to see the light!
I believe this is the most logical explanation. My wife and I along with some really close friends use to tent camp every other weekend. While camping we always would make comments about how having a kitchen, bathroom, tv, shower, hot water and generator was NOT camping. Fast forward another five years and we were now in a TT with all the amenities listed above and satellite tv and surround sound. I believe that when I was the one in the tent I enjoyed the way we were camping at the time, but could I afford it I would have been in an RV. The rude comments were my immature way of voicing my jealousy.

The other thing that finally pushed us into an RV was that we would waste at least a day of our valuable time off setting up and tearing down camp, then another day or two packing and unpacking at home. We would spend more time preparing for the trip than we would on the actual trip. Not to mention be packed into our truck like sardines with all the camping gear. Now everything we need to use in the RV, stays in the RV. Set up to leave can be done within hours not days. Set up and tear down at the campsite is less than an hour especially now that we have upgraded to a motor home with hydraulic levelers. We also have a 2 and 5 year old and being able to get up and walk them to the bathroom while driving is priceless. When they get restless we just put a movie on or play some games. Do you want a snack....no problem let me get that, how about a cold beverage?

Now we actually truly enjoy the trip to and from the campsite as well as the actual stay. If I want to go see some back country then I will hike the rest of the way or ride my mountain bike. But, the quality of our family trips have improved ten fold since entering the RV lifestyle. So, if you know a tent camper do them a favor, take them on a day trip in the RV. That should be enough to enlighten them and convince them to become an RVer.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:42 AM   #66
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
So, if you know a tent camper do them a favor, take them on a day trip in the RV. That should be enough to enlighten them and convince them to become an RVer.
I'd so scared they would love it so much, I'd be left out in the wilderness.....RV gone! LOL
Old 04-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #67
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't camp I travel and my wife finally got turned off by the bed bug scare and was more than happy to pick out our first and only RV.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:09 PM   #68

Compared to most of the motor homes on here we're still roughing it! 1984 Winnebago Chieftain. I've added some amenities, but..... dare I say it.....I have no slides, no 40"tv, no washer or dryer. Life is rough over here. Haha
Old 04-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #69

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I totally agree. LOL
peskyfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #70

Fleetwood Owners Club
We all have different sticks and bricks - size, shape, price points. We are all camping per the dictionary:
camp 1 (kmp) n. 1. a. A place where tents, huts, or other temporary shelters are set up, as by soldiers, nomads, or travelers.

IMO - we can subdivide and say we're tenting or RVing... but, one thing is for sure. We love what we're doing. No apologies to anyone - there is no better way to enjoy the beautiful country and freedom we all have!

Safe travels
Fencebuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping