Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2015, 04:28 AM   #1

The BGE or Big Green Egg!

Last week a local RV/Bus builder came in and purchased a medium BGE from me. I enquired of the usage and they said that a owner of a new bus on order requested to have one built into the bus before he would take delivery (Prevost).

Of course that got my wheels turning about possibly installing one in mine. I have a large at home, but with the new Mini Max units out, I think it would make a perfect fit for an RV.

Anyone travel with a BGE?
Boostable is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2015, 06:15 AM   #2

WOW... traveling with something that heavy yet something that cooks that good. Awesome... I can state I am not.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostable View Post
......snip......

Anyone travel with a BGE?
Boostable:

Since 2011, my wife an I have traveled with a Mini Green Egg. Its relatively light weight, in comparison to other eggs, means I am less likely to damage it, and/or me, while removing it from the storage bay.

With the current product line, I would now likely purchase a Mini-Max.

Room in my storage bays is not an issue for me. If it was, I would leave other stuff at home rather than not take the egg.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:57 AM   #4

We have a Large at home and a mini for the RV! Love, love, love the BGE!
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:09 AM   #5

Exclamation Mini max

One of the things my wife wanted when we got our first / new MH in March was a BGE Mini Max. She is a fabulous chef, and we seldom eat out other than picking up lunch if we happen to be out and about.

The first time she cooked on it, we immediately questioned why we had "sold out" to a gas grill years ago. The food just tastes great, and you can cook just about anything you want on it! We have spent about 25 days on the road since we got the MH, and she has cooked dinner on it almost every night. For homemade pizza, you can get it up to almost 600 degrees, for ribs, she can keep it at 250 for hours.

It is not light, so it takes both of us to move it around. I put a 3/4 piece of plywood on the bay floor to distribute the weight better. Between the BGE, the bag of charcoal, and misc. grilling accessories, it does take up one of our big bays. I will be getting a bin with a sealed top for the charcoal, as it does have a strong order I don't care to have in the basement.

It certainly was a great investment!

Regards
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:36 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I have an Xlarge at the house and love egging, but isn't the weight an issue even on the mini? It still weighs about 40lbs and you need to lift it out of the storage bays. I would be concerned about cracking the fire box with all of the lifting. What am I missing?
H-12Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-12Mike View Post
I have an Xlarge at the house and love egging, but isn't the weight an issue even on the mini? It still weighs about 40lbs and you need to lift it out of the storage bays. I would be concerned about cracking the fire box with all of the lifting. What am I missing?
The mini max comes in a cradle with handles.......... And yes, it is a bit heavy as I noted, and why I added the 3/4 plywood over the baby floor.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:22 AM   #8

My only problem with any type of pit or gas grill mounted on a pull out slide tray is if there is a flare up or fire gets out of hand. That is a little too close to the RV for me. A friend of mine was grilling on his charcoal pit at home & there was a flare up & caught the overhang of his roof on fire. He put it out but did about $600.00 worth of damage to his house. I can't imagine what that type of damage would have been to fiberglass or aluminum skin.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:34 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have personally witnessed an original 1970's Kamado grill shatter when dropped out of the basement of a DP when at the Yosemite RV campground.

And, I have seen the owner of a Mini Green Egg almost in tears when it fell off an unstable RVPark picnic table complete with the beef roast, (and also shattered).

I applaud a BGE owner who is committed enough to attempt using it wherever they want! I once backpacked to the top of Mt. Whitney with a Bodum Santos vacuum coffee maker, just because.

However, they must be willing to face the reality that really heavy ceramic simply does not travel well.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:03 PM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
I have a friend who has traveled with a small green egg in his fifth whee for years. He made an ingenious ramp to move it out of the bay to cook on. He also made a neat small plywood frame that houses the egg, he also does not remove any of the parts, it travels intact. He said he gets lots of comments and visitors when he pulls it out at a campground.
Flare ups on an egg would be rare, I have had a large BGE at home for years and don't ever remember having a flare up that would have exceed the height of the lid. Oh and lots of things break when they are dropped.
Two days ago I was actually looking a the new MiniMax at a BBQ store. The owner said he had a hard time keeping them in stock. I was a little surprised at the weight 75lbs, but it is shorter than the egg so it will fit easily on one of my slide out trays and I will have no problem cooking with it in that position.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:24 PM   #11

I would never have our mini max close to my coach when cooking...........
Old 05-28-2015, 06:04 PM   #12

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
I would never have our mini max close to my coach when cooking...........
Well I don't know what your problem is but I have years of experience of using the BGE and have no qualms about using it 3 feet from my coach. It is certainly far safer than the gas grills the love to hand off the side of RV's these days.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:43 PM   #13

Thanks guys, nice to see some other traveling eggers out there... I am leaving tomorrow for the keys for 10 days, I might have to swing by the shop and load up a Mini Max!!!

I already carry a 4 burner gas griddle and a weber Q200, but I guess if I add the BGE I wont need the weber anymore..

We absolutly love our Large BGE at the house and I agree it makes some of the best food out there.

Keep the thread alive and share some tips and pics of your next mobil BGE feast!!!!
Boostable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:48 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought a big Kamado in the late 70's and believe I paid about $50 for it. Used it for years until the dog wrapped his chain around it and pulled it over. Best "grille" I ever owned. I can't believe the $$$$ they get for them now!

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote