Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2011, 08:24 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
The dream vs the reality

THE DREAM VERSUS REALITY

The Dream: Idyllic lifestyle of adventure and comfort.

The Reality: Purchasing a motorhome older than you would like and a fixer upper, looks good, but some problems expected.

Arrived at dealer to pick up the used motorhome at 9 a.m., went over it all with rep. Water pump didn't work, 1.5 hrs to get the part and have it replaced.

Noticed we didn't have keys for the doors, storage bays, gas fill door, hood locks. They couldn't find them, called a mobile key maker. Took him 2 hours to get their and discovered that each area had a separate key. He worked for 1.5 hours gave me the keys and left. It's now 3:30 p.m. and we start home.

My wife was following me and a little ways down the road called via cell phone to let me know that the brake lights were working. We stopped and I couldn't find the fuse for them, (nothing labled for it), but all of the other exterior and interior lights worked, so she followed my home and I stayed on the phone letting her know what I was doing all the way home.

Stopped about an ˝ hour later to gas up and the motorhome would start, wouldn't even turn over. So, I cleaned the cables and it took off. (Sure glad I brought a basic took kit with me), Another project for tomorrow.

Got home and started to lock things up and the keys the guy made won't work in half of the locks... Lubricated them, but still have three that will not lock and one he locked that won't unlock....

As I said, we knew it was a great basic unit that needs a bit of fixing up and doesn't seem to have any problems with the major components.

Welcome to the idyllic lifestyle…. The adventure continues... not discouraged, just another BUMP in the road.

rlawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2011, 08:44 AM   #2

First used motorhome I bought took me six months of fixen before I made my first trip in it.
When you buy a used motorhome %99 of the time you will spend a lot of time fixing before you make your first campout.
Most folks don't sale a good troublefree motorhome.
A lot of motorhome owners just like to tinker; join the club.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry you've had such a rocky start but hang in there. Even NEW coaches come complete with a long list of things which need tending to. Let's hope your rig was just sitting for a long time and once you work through all of the little issues it'll fit you both like a comfortable old shoe!

Best of luck....

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:07 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
When you buy a used motorhome %99 of the time you will spend a lot of time fixing before you make your first campout.
Truth be told, new ones are no better. Mine is currently back at the factory service center getting a long laundry list of repairs done.

Virtually any new to you RV will take time to get ship shape. Once that's done the irritations will get fewer and farther between, but will never go away completely. Just ask yourself, how would my stick & brick fare, if it had to endure potholes, steep driveway entrances and expansion joints day in and out?

Take the time to correct things as they pop up, learn to keep up on maintenance, and the good times will greatly overshadow the challenging ones.

Happy trails...
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:30 AM   #5

Took mine in this morning to have the brake fluid flushed. 1 hr later a call saying "do you know you need new front pads?" ok, 1 hr later a call saying "your coach won't start, you need a new battery." ok, 1 hr later another call "your alt isn't charging you need a new one." Can't wait for the next call.... Also can't wait to take it on my next trip on Thursday! Hang in there it's worth it.
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:34 AM   #6

Everything, regardless if it is a house, car, boat, MH, etc., needs to be tweeked now and then. I'd be grateful that they are minor things even though a number of issues on the way home is discouraging. Keep thinking of how much fun you will have motorhoming around and it is all worth it. Even though my MH is "road ready" right now it seems there will always be something that needs to tightened, adjusted, looked at, etc. It's a great way to go and I plan on going some more.
Poptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:03 AM   #7

As my old RVing friend used to say, "If it ain't broke yet...it's getting ready to."
Old 04-30-2011, 11:27 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I think you sum it up well at the end of your post. If you resign yourself to the fact that problems will occur and not make more of them than what they really are you are well on your way to enjoying your idyllic lifestyle. I look at this way when I run into bad luck I look at it as a necessary ingredient to appreciating the good times even more. So the bottom line is the idyllic lifestyle is all in you head.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:46 PM   #9

My mom and dad owned a number of different MHs while I was a kid and afterward. I am pretty sure that my dad thought owning them was a sport with a couple of different events: how quickly can I fix xyz? How creatively can I fix xyz? How many times can I fix xyz? How much can I annoy the DW fixing xyz and avoid taking it to someone that can fix xyz? What is the best/worst place for xyz to break? My wife and I would borrow the rig occasionally and before we left dad always told me about each xyz that I might encounter and the best answers to all the events above. I never thought it was that much fun. Neither did the DW...
Old 04-30-2011, 01:00 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We're now in Tennessee and in about 9 days, we'll be heading to Alaska. Nashville is the first stop to fix things we found or broke in Melbourne while preparing for the trip.

Item one: Right windshield sun shade motor and mount bracket cracked and fell...new mount(comes with motor) ordered and sent to Nashville for me to hang - have part, will repair today.
Item two: While on a skinny two lane road in Alabama two days ago, we hit a tree limb (storm damaged) on a power line and bent the TV antenna and broke the rear A/C shroud. McCulley has shroud.
Item three: While taping the shroud, I noticed that the bedroom slide cover was out of it's track and with an old 'L' shaped rip in it (PO), it's not worth sewing to fix. On order to fix here in Nashville.
Item four: We had to move to a new site today and after the move, our main awning will not move up or down with the motor. Verified motor and gears are working, so I think I'll fix the windshield shade first before going any further. Too many things in a state of disassembly and I don't need to get covered up...DW said she is starting to wonder about this trip.

RVs are kinda like sailboats...ya work on 'em in some of the most interesting places...sometimes a long, long way from home. It's STILL and ADVENTURE! Bob

BTW, does anyone know of a Carefree of Colorado awning maintenance website to maybe help in troubleshooting our 12V Eclipse? The gears and awning input shaft are moving but there's no movement of the awning drum. Another project for the professionals?

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:07 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Couldnt believe the "Great Deal" on 2005 Itasca... less than 7500 miles, interior like new, many many upgrades and amenities, super high offer for my 2004 LANCE !!!

1. Windshield literally flowed rain water down onto dash, bad seal, rust...:(
2. First trip on return home started missing badly, Plug Wire #6 ($75)
3. Third trip ran like it should, 8.7 mpg avg YEAAAAAAAA
4. First long trip, 1000 miles... 75 miles from home Rear Outside Michelin Explodes
sidewall ($700) had 8000 miles total on it, BUT 7 yrs old
5. First leg completed without further incident, I-95 mostly flatland running (9.3 mpg)
6. Ran Maryland, WV, Pa Mountains like a big diesel, flawless 7.6 mpg !!!
7. On way home, engine breaking downhill going towards Bluefield, WV tunnel the
motor died... :( awaiting results suspect rolled main bearing or lost valve)
This one could be $12,500, RT-66 Warranty already balking on payout ! Anyone
had experience dealing with them ???

Definately RVing can be a Dream/Nightmare... but that open road and this great country make it all worthwhile and a trip not to be missed !!!

Be safe, enjoy the trip...
Old 04-30-2011, 01:20 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
On the way home with our "new/used" 2003
  • Refrigerator dies-new compressor
  • Battery exploded-new batteries
  • AM/FM radio inoperative-new surround sound
  • AGS inoperative- new AGS
  • lift pump leaks-new lift pump
  • Tires 5 yrs old-new tires
(All except tires paid for by service agreement or dealer)

On various trips
  • AC cover blows off-new cover
  • slide hose blown-new hose
  • Windshield leak-haven't got to that yet

THis is par for the course I believe
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:31 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
MegaRoadie,
Tough luck on the engine blow-out... Hope that RT66 warranty comes through for you... let us know how it goes.
Jim
Good man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 03:30 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
BTW, does anyone know of a Carefree of Colorado awning maintenance website to maybe help in troubleshooting our 12V Eclipse? The gears and awning input shaft are moving but there's no movement of the awning drum. Another project for the professionals?

Here's their web site: www.carefreeofcolorado.com Good luck with them, our Carefree's are in horrible shape, I would not get them again.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote