Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2019, 06:52 PM   #1

The Great Silicone Disaster of 2019

At the 1st campground of our month long trip I finally treated the slideout seals with silicone spray as recommended. I put the can back in the "miscellaneous" box in the back of the pickup along with extension cords, clothesline, extra dog food, etc. Along the next leg, something moved and hit the spray nozzle. I could smell a little silicone when I opened the tonneau cover and then opened the plastic box. Whew. Emptied the box, threw away the soaked small cardboard box and wiped down everything. Had to toss the dog food out of precaution. Left things out to air dry. Washed extension cords and clothesline with Dawn. Line cleaned up. Cords still smell. Any suggestions or just lather, rinse, repeat?

Paul
Wildwoods22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2019, 07:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildwoods22 View Post
At the 1st campground of our month long trip I finally treated the slideout seals with silicone spray as recommended. I put the can back in the "miscellaneous" box in the back of the pickup along with extension cords, clothesline, extra dog food, etc. Along the next leg, something moved and hit the spray nozzle. I could smell a little silicone when I opened the tonneau cover and then opened the plastic box. Whew. Emptied the box, threw away the soaked small cardboard box and wiped down everything. Had to toss the dog food out of precaution. Left things out to air dry. Washed extension cords and clothesline with Dawn. Line cleaned up. Cords still smell. Any suggestions or just lather, rinse, repeat?

Paul

Put it all in a box, bomb it with fabreze, and close the lid.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:04 PM   #3

Make sure the silicone spray cap is firmly attached and pay attention to temperature and elevation changes. Maybe keep aerosol cans stored in a large zip lock bag. Worst case if none of the normal precautions don't work, consider them cheap single use products.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:40 PM   #4

The Great Silicone Disaster of 2019

First thing I thought was that somebody sprung a leak, but I'm sorry it was you. I keep all of my spray cans in a plastic drink crate taller than the cans. Somewhere I have, or had a thin wood cover for it.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:03 PM   #5

Thanks all. The can has a flip up nozzle and I don't see a shut off. Now in a ziplock. Will try Febreze.
Paul
Old 07-05-2019, 04:13 PM   #6

Are you traveling in heat or elevation? Also, keep spray cans upright.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 05:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildwoods22 View Post
Thanks all. The can has a flip up nozzle and I don't see a shut off. Now in a ziplock. Will try Febreze.
Paul
The problem with having a pressurized can in a ziplock is -- well -- you've got a pressurized can in a ziplock.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:20 PM   #8
IC2

I too have had similar experiences
Walmart can be your friend. All the nasty chemicals - silicone, dry spray lube, wax, bug spray, etc are all in a small plastic bin about an inch higher then the height of a tall can of spray and maybe 10x12. It gets some small rags stuck in there as well to keep the rattles down.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:16 PM   #9

I have about 20 medium sized, heavy duty stackable plastic "Costco" totes. Pretty much everything I own goes into one of those -- nice regular, interlocking shapes in a convenient size. Helps keep things shipshape.

One is labeled "VITAL FLUIDS". It's a bit taller than a bottle of 85/90 gearlube, and covers about the area of two cases of same. I re-enforced the paper grid thingy from a 12-pack of Negro Modello with duc-tape and taped it at one corner to keep small and tall bottles upright. It's flexible, cradles odd sizes, and nothing clinks together. Bigger containers stay up on their own. There's not enough room for anything to fall over and there's a sturdy lid with plenty of headspace to keep buttons from being depressed.

The tote contains all the chemicals that I need to contain -- oils, fluids, grease, rattle paint cans, emergency propane, WD40, 'lectro-motive, contact cement, etc in a variety of cans and tubes. In the unlikely event of spillage, the mess is not going anywhere. In addition to knowing where everything is, I have the convenience of unloading it for inspection and transfer to paint lockers when I get on that class of ferry.

The cost of the tote was about $12 at the volume I bought. Less than the case of Negro Modello, and well worth the security and convenience.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:49 PM   #10

Sorry to hear the mishap.

Reading the title I thought it was a cosmetic surgery gone bad post.

Hope all silicone stays in intended location 😁
KenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:59 PM   #11

Be glad it wasn't spray paint.